Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What size is the Oil filter "sandwich" adapter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I need to know what "sandwich adapter" to purchase.

I have one, and the key parameters are:
thread that goes "onto" the stock filter bracket (adapter that filter threads onto)
size of fittings that go out to remote oil filter

I eyeballed the fittings that come from a sandwich adapter that I already have and it "looked like" 1/2" NPT, but the threads into the fitting are smaller.
I want to route from the sandwich adapter to 12AN to run to the front coolers for now.

Anyone have experience with high flow sandwich adapters?

It looks like I have enough meat to tap the sandwich adapter that I have up to 1/2" NPT but curious what others have done.

Next upgrade is blockoff plates and the full monty, but right now I would just like to hook 12AN fittings to a sandwich plate and run the stock filter adapter with filter.

I might even be interested in the thermostatically controlled adapter plates if anyone has experience.

Edit- And while I am at it: does the feed to the oil pump come into the middle of the oil filter?
ww914
I bought a Mocal Sandwich Plate 3/4" - 16 thread, hose, and fittings from Racer Parts Wholesale, but I am sure there are many other vendors.
Click to view attachment
stugray
Mocal Sandwich Plate 3/4" - 16 thread

Thanks!
I assume the above is:
sandwich plate outlet port size -3/4" NPT
adapter (black in above pic) - 3/4"NPT X 16AN
For a 16AN hose.

I chose 12AN, so my 1/2" NPT should work if I can retap & thread into my sandwich plate.

I still need to know the thread size for the adapter that screws into the filter adapter. (Oil filter thread size?)
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ww914 @ Dec 11 2013, 03:35 PM) *

I bought a Mocal Sandwich Plate 3/4" - 16 thread, hose, and fittings from Racer Parts Wholesale, but I am sure there are many other vendors.
Click to view attachment

did your oil filter touch the motor mount?
stugray
I just measured and got 19X1.5mm for the filter threads.

O-ring is~ 70mm OD, 62mm ID

Looks like some nice stuff in here:
http://97.74.32.155/files/sp1t.pdf

Even the part for the BRZ would fit but it has a spacer to raise it UP (BRZ ref) when we want to minimize gap.
Dave_Darling
The threads for the hoses on my sandwich adapter are 3/8" NPT. I would prefer 1/2" (like the smallest of my oil lines are), but I decided to take what I could get.

I never measured the attachment to the filter flange and to the filter (one piece), as I figured they were very thoroughly standardized in size.

--DD
ww914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 11 2013, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(ww914 @ Dec 11 2013, 03:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

did your oil filter touch the motor mount?

Nope. It's close but doesn't touch.
ww914
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 11 2013, 03:55 PM) *

Mocal Sandwich Plate 3/4" - 16 thread

Thanks!
I assume the above is:
sandwich plate outlet port size -3/4" NPT
adapter (black in above pic) - 3/4"NPT X 16AN
For a 16AN hose.

I chose 12AN, so my 1/2" NPT should work if I can retap & thread into my sandwich plate.

I still need to know the thread size for the adapter that screws into the filter adapter. (Oil filter thread size?)

I used 10AN hose and fittings.

Here's the list off my invoice:
1 - Mocal Sandwich Plate 3/4" - 16 thread
1 - Mocal 1/2" BSP x -10 fitting
2 - Mocal 1/2' x -10 ORB fitting
2 - Mocal Dowty Seal
2 - -10 Aeroquip straight reusable swivel fitting
6 - -10 Aeroquip SS Braided hose
2 - -10 Aeroquip 45 degreee reusable elbow fitting
1 - Setrab STD 125 oil cooler

Click to view attachment
stugray
Do you have a part # for:

Or a thread size for the adapter?
I'm not sure I trust my 19mm measurement as I typically find these in 18 or 20mm adapters.
ChrisFoley
The threaded adapter isn't metric.
Your measurement of 19 x 1.5 is approximately 3/4 - 16
ww914
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 12 2013, 09:59 AM) *

Do you have a part # for:

Or a thread size for the adapter?
I'm not sure I trust my 19mm measurement as I typically find these in 18 or 20mm adapters.

Racer Parts number is MOC-SP1T
stugray

Ahhh... when ww914 stated his adapter plate was 3/4 - 16 I thought that meant 3/4" NPT to 16AN apapters.

Thanks
ww914
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 12 2013, 11:37 AM) *

Ahhh... when ww914 stated his adapter plate was 3/4 - 16 I thought that meant 3/4" NPT to 16AN apapters.

Thanks

Sorry stugray, I just read it off the invoice so I would get it right. Anyway, here's a photo of where my oil cooler is. Chris Foley helped me with this location. While it works pretty good, as you can see it is above my SS headers, which is why I made the duct work around the cooler so as not to get too much heat from the engine and the headers. When I get my Tangerine headers installed, the right side will have tons more room because most of the header tubing is on the left side. I plan to lower the cooler a bit to try and get as much unheated air as I can. Good luck with your project.

gothspeed
Good thread! I am considering one of these 'sandwich' adapters too smile.gif
stugray
Good luck with your project.

Thanks

IPB Image

IPB Image
I have better pics that show the carbon fiber ducts & the exit holes in the fenderwell.

One on each side, now I need to plumb them with 12AN hose down the passenger side heater duct. Then to the adapter.

Next year I will redo the plumbing from the engine to eliminate the sandwich adapter and probably add a remote oil filter bracket and a thermostat.

ww914
Looks like a dedicated race car. driving.gif
gothspeed
Do these sandwiches have a thermostat or are they always on flow?
ww914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 12 2013, 03:40 PM) *

I believe they are closed until reaching 180 degs
stugray
Looks like a dedicated race car.

It is, but it could still be made street legal with minimal work.
The install of the coolers would allow me to put the headlights back in if I wanted to.

You can buy them both ways. The link above has both.
I am drooling over the BRZ adapter plate since I have a BRZ also.
gothspeed
Thanks! I think I will go with full time flow and a smaller oil cooler that I can fit into the R/H wheel well ........ then see how that works ..... idea.gif
stugray
So now I have determined that I cannot thread two 3/8"-1/2" adapters into the sandwich adapter, THEN thread in two 12AN-1/2" adapters.
There is not enough clearance.

Does anyone know of a 'Type-IV Filter adapter block-off plate" that would allow me to thread in either 1/2" NPT or 3/8"NPT?

I know I can go to the "full flow" pump covers, but was hoping to put that off till next year.
I also know about the oil cooler block off plates, but ai was hoping to keep the stock cooler in addition to my external coolers at first.
gothspeed
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 13 2013, 04:33 PM) *

So now I have determined that I cannot thread two 3/8"-1/2" adapters into the sandwich adapter, THEN thread in two 12AN-1/2" adapters.
There is not enough clearance.

Does anyone know of a 'Type-IV Filter adapter block-off plate" that would allow me to thread in either 1/2" NPT or 3/8"NPT?

I know I can go to the "full flow" pump covers, but was hoping to put that off till next year.
I also know about the oil cooler block off plates, but ai was hoping to keep the stock cooler in addition to my external coolers at first.

I think EMW has a sandwich that uses common a thread interface. However, there are no pictures or thread specs on these two they have listed on their site:

http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/pvw/314-...+Cooler+Adapter

http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/pvw/314-...ter+Single+Hole
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.