Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AA cylinders & pistons opinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dknechtly
Does anyone have experience with AA cylinders and pistons (kit)? Are they any good? Considering their 1.7 high dome. I still have fuel injection.

Thanks, Dennis
cwpeden
I had the big bore kit(1.9L) on my 1.7 for years. Couple of hones, few re-rings. no problems at all. I beat the crap out of that motor. 10.5:1, carbed and autocrossed to death.
Of course those were from the mid 90's.
kerrvert
I just built a 2 Liter type 4 for my Westy with AA Pistons and cylinders and I'm very satisfied with the results. I have two friends who are pro engine builders and they swear by them.
StratPlayer
Running them in my late model Djet. 96mm . They are performing very well I have no complaints. 3 yrs. in the motor.
gothspeed
I put them into my 2056 build but have only broken the motor in so far. I think they are a good value, just inspect them before you install .... beerchug.gif
porschefile2010
I checked out the World and found a few guys had problems but I went ahead anyway - partly because of price. We rebuilt a 75 2.0 with FI. I have now run it just over 1000 miles and have to say so far they seem to be going great. Like they say, check them over carefully first. good luck.
eyesright
I did a home rebuild of my stock FI 2.0 L '76. The only difference was I wanted flat top pistons (stock '76 has dished low compression pistons). I bought AA P&C 's for price and since they were ubiquitous - they're everywhere, sold by everybody -I figuired I wouldn't be too far off.

Three cylinders were within .005" in height but one was .025" taller. I paid a machine shop $80 to cut it down. If I had had two that were .025" taller I might have just used them on the same side.

I weighed the piston/ring/pin/keeper assemblies which were all the same to .1 oz.

I hate to admit it but I only remember gapping the rings on one cylinder as I was sending the parts off and assembling things over a period of months. The one cylinder rings were gapped fine and...let's see did I remember to check the others before I put it all together or not? hmmm. (What...me worry?)

I also did not check the piston to cylinder clearance.

I'll do better on the next one.

Anyway, I have 16K miles on the new engine. I use 1 qt of oil every 1300 miles. I did a compression check during breakin and got about 130-135 all around and want to recheck that sometime soon. Oil temp was running about 225 on long drives during the 100 degree days of summer. In these freezing temperatures this week it barely gets up to 150 on a 20 mile commute. (thermostat works.)

I'm glad I checked the cylinder height. I may have gotten lucky on the rest.

Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.