Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Photograph request-Sideshift transmission detail
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
My PO had a thing rigged up and I want to see the correct installation/gear as I'm finishing the installation of my Dr Evil sorted transmission.
Thanks!
David
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Dec 11 2013, 04:23 PM) *

My PO had a thing rigged up and I want to see the correct installation/gear as I'm finishing the installation of my Dr Evil sorted transmission.
Thanks!
David

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Dec 11 2013, 07:41 PM) *

Thanks!
David

Click to view attachment

This is not assembled right.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 11 2013, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Dec 11 2013, 07:41 PM) *

Thanks!
David

Click to view attachment

This is not assembled right.

No it doesn't look like it is does it? I think the boot is on the wrong side correct?
That said, the part I'm trying to determine is missing on my housing is the piece that the cable end is fitting into. Looks like some kind of "keeper"?
Anyone else got any pictures? A side view would be good :-)
David_S
I thought that the boot went onto the firewall ???
wndsnd
I am sorry I do not have photo shop so I can put the arrows and notes on but the boot is on the wrong side and it looks like the clip is also. The parts diagrams don't show the assembly but the retainer/washer clip actually fits onto the notch on the housing. Someone will post a pic because it is easy to photo. My car isn't here or I would do it for you.

John
Old Yella
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 11 2013, 05:58 PM) *

I am sorry I do not have photo shop so I can put the arrows and notes on but the boot is on the wrong side and it looks like the clip is also. The parts diagrams don't show the assembly but the retainer/washer clip actually fits onto the notch on the housing. Someone will post a pic because it is easy to photo. My car isn't here or I would do it for you.

John

I think I have seen a photo in the Haynes manual showing the dust boot in the position it is located in the photo. I know this because my new cable didn't come with it. Nor did the dust boots come with the new hand brake cables I ordered which is really aggravating and typical of Porsche parts. You never get what you need every little bid is and additional part number and , naturally, additional cost. I'll try and find a photo to post.
TR
Old Yella
Here is another post on this forum, please refer to the photos.

http://ftp.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=221402
wndsnd
I'd believe that boot goes at the firewall before I believe it should go inside the bracket.
HalfMoon
Hmm...so after examining another thread photograph, (which looks correct), I'm seeing what looks like some kind of keeper (see red arrow) for the cable where it goes through the housing and then on to roll around the plastic pulley.
I'm not seeing that at Auto Atlanta's Schematic diagram for parts
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...rts§ion=702-00
(not that I would purchase from them mind you). Anyone got a handle on what this part is and or where it could be obtained (new from a vendor)?
Click to view attachment
HalfMoon
Hmmm....perhaps it's part number 53 on the diagram? Tab washer but when you click on it it's called a cable stop plate.
HalfMoon
Here's a better photograph at Pelican but as you can see it doesn't look like the keeper that's in the previously posted picture.
Hmmm
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...%2520%2520%2520
Cupomeat
This problem vexed me for MANY years until I finally looked under a VERY low mileage 914 and saw how it was assembled from the factory.

The item, goes as shown and bends around the back and the long tab of it goes into the hole on the back of the housing. It is not easy to do, nor does it seem necessary as I've driven for 26 years without it.

Pelican has a picture of it http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images...cable_parts.JPG
and the part on their catalog is 914-423-283-00-OEM

Good luck!
Cupomeat
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Dec 11 2013, 11:54 PM) *

Hmmm....perhaps it's part number 53 on the diagram? Tab washer but when you click on it it's called a cable stop plate.

Stranger still it is called the Acc.cable Stop Plate

I guess you can't accelerate very well without a working clutch... blink.gif
Steve_R
Here's a picture of mine.
Cap'n Krusty
Well, that's amusing. And creative. And wrong. The tab washer goes on the outside of the carrier, and the tab wraps around the end and comes through the hole from the backside.

The Cap'n
jcd914
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Dec 11 2013, 04:41 PM) *

Thanks!
David

Click to view attachment

This shows the correct installation of the cable retainer, the "Tab Washer".
The boot in this picture should be slipped on to the end of the cable housing and away from the roller.

The cable goes thru the eye of the tab washer all the way onto the metal end of the cable housing. Then the metal end of the cable housing slides into the opening in the support bracket. This puts the tab washer between the cable and the support bracket. The tab is then bent around the back of the support bracket and the end is poked out thru the hole in the bracket. This make it so the cable can't slide back out of the support bracket.

Then the boot slides on the cable and all the way up on to the metal end of the cable housing, where it helps keep dirt and grit out of you cable.

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Dec 11 2013, 10:07 PM) *

Here's a picture of mine.

Steve_R, your tab washer is installed incorrectly. It should be on the other side of the support bracket and the tabe should be coming around from behind the bracket and poking out of the whole it is now poking into.

The bottom line is that the tab washers function is to keep the cable from sliding out of the slot in the support bracket and stranding you along the road some where.Some saftey wire could be used, wire ties could be used, an old coat hanger could be used but the tab washer is a nice clean install and what was OE.

Jim

wndsnd
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Dec 11 2013, 11:41 PM) *

Hmm...so after examining another thread photograph, (which looks correct), I'm seeing what looks like some kind of keeper (see red arrow) for the cable where it goes through the housing and then on to roll around the plastic pulley.
I'm not seeing that at Auto Atlanta's Schematic diagram for parts
(not that I would purchase from them mind you). Anyone got a handle on what this part is and or where it could be obtained (new from a vendor)?
Click to view attachment

I would buy this install, it just seems to mechanically make sense. However the boot confuses me.

If the boot is to keep crap from coming out of the cable into the housing, why leave everything exposed to the elements? OR is the boot is there to keep pully grease out of the cable, The first picture looks like two tab washers were used, one is trying to run into the pulley and jamb.
HalfMoon
Terrific input from all!
I think we can close the thread as it seems the correct install is in the picture.
Pelican part # 914-423-283-00-OEM
Thanks everyone :-)
D
Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
Just one more post to this thread! The tab washer can be obtained from the dealer, just leave the letters off the end of the part number. No shipping, 2-3 day wait, list price unless your dealer offers a PCA discount. The boot is there to keep grit out of the cable housing. Many of us don't grease the outer circumference of the cable pulley for the same reason: grit collects in the grease and causes cable failure.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.