Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flag Mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
X911IC
I am getting ready to paint my car and have two flag mirrors that I would like to take apart in order to paint. Can they be disassembled and if so how? I see that there are two holes on the bottom of the mirrors and thought those might be access for some screws. Any info would be appreciated.
andys
Mine only has one hole. Using a small screwdriver through the hole, locate the slot in the cam. Rotating the cam will release the mirror. You have to poke around a bit to find the slot. Perhaps someone has photos.

Andys
Mblizzard
I did mine a while back. I will look for some better photos. But what stumped me for a bit was that on mine, you had to pry the mirror off to get at the screws to take the thing apart. It was a huge leap of faith to start prying on the mirror. But you may want to see if yours will pry up. Go slow as I don't know what type yours are and they could be completely differ from mine.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
This may help!

Click to view attachment
eitnurg
There are two types of mirror, depending on what year of 911 they came from.
Earlier type the mirror glass is held in by 3 or 4 prongs (can't remember how many) that go into grommets in the plastic base. The glass is removed just by prising it out.
Later type the glass is held on by a circular plastic locking ring behind it. This has to be disengaged with a long thin screwdriver for the mirror to be released. (I think this is the one shown in the diagram above). Both types of mirror look the same.
Good news is that by deflecting the mirror fully downwards, gives just enough room to see behind & which type you have.
Once the glass is out they can be easily disassembled for painting.
X911IC
Thanks guys. I will attempt to determine which type that I have and move forward with taking it apart tonight. I also want to disconnect the motor as I am not planning on using a remote switch to move the mirror.
scotty b
If you're looking to take the base and body apart it gets a bit more complicated. you need a length of threaded rod, an eye bolt ground down, a bunch of washers, and whatever substance you prefer to calm you down. Basically the spring needs to be compressed and the assembly turned (about 45* IIRC ) to unlock it. I've done this a half dozen times, and each time is just as much a PITA as the previous dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.