Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D-Jet owners,want an aftermarket distributor???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
If all goes as planned, I should be swapping out my stock old distributor for a brand new Mallory distributor running a CDI box in the next few weeks. In the past this was not possible since the trigger points for the FI are located in the base of the D-Jet distributor....on my work bench, I have come up with a bolt-on solution that should cost no more than about $35 that will fit inside of a Mallory Unilite distributor.....I do not have an MSD distributor, but I'd imagine the same type of unit could be installed fairly easily.

just thought I'd see if I am the only crazy person wanting to upgrade/change their ignition? (legal mod for local Bp cars, you must keep the stock FI, but no limit on the ignition)
Engman
Be careful - it is probably patented and you will be sued!

IPB Image

m
r_towle
i am interested....please describe more...

Rich
Rhodes71/914
Would love the option of an aftermarket dizzy, please tell us more!
TravisNeff
absolutely, anything beats a kilobuck for a spankin new OE distributor
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Dec 29 2004, 03:13 PM)
absolutely, anything beats a kilobuck for a spankin new OE distributor

IPB Image
ChrisReale
yes
Katmanken
Engman, chill...

Ya wanna talk about it PM me....

Mike, nice idea...

Ken
airsix
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 29 2004, 01:53 PM)
I have come up with a bolt-on solution that should cost no more than about $35 that will fit inside of a Mallory Unilite distributor.....

Mike,
Is it solid-state or mechanical? Just out of curiosity.

-Ben M.
Mueller
solid-state....something filled with magical smoke IPB Image
Aaron Cox
rock on mike!!!!

I knew you couldnt leave it alone IPB Image hes at it again! making great stuff for 914's IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
Mike, one word from the djet purist. Yes!
airsix
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 29 2004, 04:21 PM)
solid-state....something filled with magical smoke IPB Image

'Atta boy. IPB Image

-Ben M.
Gint
Mikey, you gotta know that this idea is a winner. Even without asking. I don't have a /4 and I know it's a great idea.

Do it.
azbill
How soon will they be available - IPB Image HURRY I'm ready

Azbill
Mueller
okay....so far so good....with car off, ignition on, I was able to trigger the FI points with my new circuit while on the workbench (had 20 feet of wire going from the car to the workbench to complete the circuit IPB Image )

hope I didn't damage the coil or regular points since I forgot to unplug the hot wire going to the coil.........

I just finished installing the new optic sensors in the distributor, it's ugly right now, but if it works successfully I'll redesign it and make it nicer looking.

For now I'm going to run the resistors and transistors on the outside of the distributor in a small box until I can figure out a nice clean method of installing them inside the distributor.

No modifications to the motor or wiring harness needs to be done except for the normal wiring of the new distributor.
Mueller
the wheel is made from brass, I broke the delrin wheel I made and this was easier to fabricate.

total cost was less than $10 for sensors and trigger wheel....
TheCabinetmaker
IPB Image Keep at it Mike. We all want a better alternative for our FI diz's
McMark
Next make a MAP adaptor to replace the MPS and you'll single-handedly revive D-Jet. IPB Image

Great stuff Mike.
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 18 2005, 07:35 PM)
Next make a MAP adaptor to replace the MPS and you'll single-handedly revive D-Jet. IPB Image

Great stuff Mike.

I need my brain examined, I have no idea why I'm playing with the D-Jet stuff when I have a known good working Megasquirt sitting in my garage IPB Image
Jake Raby
Thats cool Mike!
newdeal2
Are you planning to sell these "turn key". My dizzy SUCKS.

Please let me be a ginnie pig IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
This is going to be great when you get it all together.

Keep it up IPB Image
ppickerell
Mike,
I just bought a new CNC Swiss Screw machine with a 5/8" bar max cap. Let me know if there is any tough turning you need done.
ppickerell
Lessee,
There are now 4 working 914's in the family so I will trade parts for dizzys.
lapuwali
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 18 2005, 06:35 PM)

Great stuff Mike.

This has been discussed. It's not at all straightforward, because of the way the MPS works and interacts with the ECU. Brad Anders gave me the poop, and it's pretty clear that replacing the MPS requires nearly a complete MS-class ECU. At that point, you may as well just replace the D-Jet ECU with an MS ECU and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Mike's little solution here, though, is a pretty nice step forward for anyone wanting to use a Mallory with D-Jet.
SpecialK
Mike, your head must hurt from thinkin' too much IPB Image

Great idea!

Kevin
JohnM
Interested.
Mueller
QUOTE (newdeal2 @ Jan 18 2005, 08:23 PM)
Are you planning to sell these "turn key". My dizzy SUCKS.

Please let me be a ginnie pig IPB Image

not too sure....possibly as a kit form....if anyone wants a bill of materials to build and test their own, let me know and I'll fire it off to you.....
Mueller
it's a real simple circuit

only 3 resistors and a transistor....don't laugh at my wiring, I am not too sure how I want to package it....this is very hooky IPB Image
Mueller
to help protect the wiring from falling apart I've drowned the parts:
redshift
Oh, if its just simple, count me out.

IPB Image

M
Cap'n Krusty
Cool, but how often, honestly, are the trigger points a problem? In close to 33 years of D jet work, I think I may have sold 5 or 6 sets of trigger points, and I KNOW 2 of those were for a MBZ V8. They just don't fail that often. The other parts, on the other hand, ARE a problem. Breaker plates wear out, the ground strap breaks, the vac cans fail, and the points wear out. BUT, can the replacement provide the same advance curve. Remember, you set the total advance to 28 degrees with the vacuum lines off, but there are conditions where the timing advances to 36-40 degrees .................. The Cap'n
Mueller
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 19 2005, 07:53 PM)
Cool, but how often, honestly, are the trigger points a problem?  In close to 33 years of D jet work, I think I may have sold 5 or 6 sets of trigger points, and I KNOW 2 of those were for a MBZ V8.  They just don't fail that often.  The other parts, on the other hand, ARE a problem.  Breaker plates wear out, the ground strap breaks, the vac cans fail, and the points wear out.  BUT, can the replacement provide the same advance curve.  Remember, you set the total advance to 28 degrees with the vacuum lines off, but there are conditions where the timing advances to 36-40 degrees ..................  The Cap'n

John, this is not to replace the trigger points in a stock distributor, but instead allow one to use a new Mallory distributor if they wish (vacuum or mechanical advance) while keeping the D-Jet fuel injection

Yes, the aftermarket vacuum distributors can advance the timing to those numbers.............

Why, I don't know, I guess for the challange IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.