Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Rebuilt my cluster. Yeah! Bitch of a job.

Whilst adjusting my clutch cable there was a pop, and bingo, busted cable, BOOOO.

I have had cables fail in the past, so this has me thinking a out hydraulic. Any one fab one out of off the shelf, relatively cheap parts? What did you use. A quick goggle shows lots of neat little slave cylinders.
ThePaintedMan
Someone just posted something similar to this.

Seems to me that you're inviting a ton of work going that route. You'd have to do some cutting and fabbing to get a master cylinder somewhere above the pedals, not to mention actuating it from your newly rebuilt cluster. Then run the line, and fab a mount for the slave cylinder. It's been done, but there is no plug and play solution. Seems like a lot of work to me for a small reward. But if you're into that sort of thing, it might be a cool project. beerchug.gif

It's entirely possible your cable was weak before and now that the pedal assembly is doing it's job like it should, the weak link in the chain broke. I'd say purchase a new Terry cable and be done with it smile.gif As much as I like to fabricate things, I enjoy driving more!
walterolin
Here it is: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=226762
jeffdon
Actually, I need to get under it and check the clutch tube. YEARS ago, my tube broke at the firewall. Since all I had access to was oxy acetylene, and I was afraid to braze or gas weld so near the fuel lines, I pulled the whole tube, brazed a plate about 3" square to it and then pop rivited it in. Its worked for years.

Yeah I know, not proper, but hey, sometimes you gotta improvise.
Mike Bellis
I think Strawman (maybe) did a hydraulic off the stock clutch pedal. Anyway, the master cylinder was mounted on the center tunnel and controlled by the clevis hook. not exactly a bolt on but as close as it gets.

I made an entire pedal cluster custom for mine. I used the clutch tube to transport the hydraulic line to the rear.
ClayPerrine
Rich Johnson sells a hydraulic clutch kit for the 914.

contact a914guy@aol.com

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.