Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru 2.5 turbo question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
badmiata
For all those that have done or are going to. I've been going some reading over on the 818 forums. Its the new Factory Five kit car that uses the subaru as a donor.

My question lies in the area of 2L VS 2.5L. Then once you look at the 2.5L then new one (WRX) I think the intake and turbo are in a different place. Would the 08+ WRX engine be easier to place in a 914? Beacuse the turbo is closer to the front of the engine. This is assuming I use the trans as well. I know there are a lot of variables. I would be using air to water, the new intercooler would never work nor would I want it. My main goal is to find the BEST (for the money wise) engine that is US market so that I could use the Cobb Access port for tuning. Even going through unknown amounts of NASIOC threads I still dont see a clear picture.

Is it better to just pay the extra for a STi? I don't think I will want to go above 300hp but crazier things have been said! Any input is ok.
d914
I used a Outfront header and placed turbo in the hump.... but there is plenty of room in the stock location from what I can tell. the 2.5 has a better torque curve on the bottom end.

I also opted for a water to air intercooler.
badmiata
I know DBCopper had to do some cut outs due to the starter and something else. That and I can find any info on weather the plastic intakes are reverseable.
Tilly74
I'm planning a "subie swap" for my 914. Unfortunately, budget will most likely determine my choice in 2.0L vs 2.5L. If you're on the fence, I'd recommend driving one. I drove an STI about 7 years ago and man....what an amazing machine. I also have ridden in a 2.0L(lightly modified) with 3 dudes in it, pulling a 5x8 trailer with 2 full size dirt bikes, 2 pit bikes, and a whole days worth of beer and snacks, easily, and I mean easily pull past 100 mph like there was nothing behind it. Whatever you end up with will most likely be more than enough, and easily tune able for more if you choose. I'm rambling now...I don't even know if I answered the original question... smoke.gif
Tilly74
Now that I've read the original post lol, my plan for this conundrum would be to fit the drive train in the way that makes the most sense, fits best, looks best, and....if necessary, modify the trunk. Assuming the cut doesn't interfere with the top storage, there's a decent amount of usable space. If I end up modifying the trunk to make more space, I'm considering a Plexiglas window into the engine bay to show off the engine. Not sure about this yet. Sounds kind of "high school parking lot" now that I've said it out loud...

But anyway, from what I've seen online, if you do decide to cut the trunk for a better fit or for better access they are usually minimal, and probably easily concealable.

think about it...Click to view attachmentno sense in hiding all that junk in your trunk...

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about putting a window in the trunk lid, just the panel that is the....ba....

BeforeClick to view attachment

AfterClick to view attachment
badmiata
Actually the way DBcooper did it was just fine two or three small areas that didn't impede on the storage or the top. I own a 06 wrx with a 2.5. Its quite fun and I can only imagine it with 1k less to move around.

It's a horrible thing to have the perfect vision for mods that you can't afford on a car that you don't own!! LOL
a914622
I think the key to a turbo suby is finding one that hasn't had the piss beat out of it! Over rev from miss shift, pulling a trailer at a hunski, or the self tuners can shorten the life of the turbo engine. If your looking to cut down the stock harness you want a pre emobilizer one.
The cool part is a lot of the suby stuff interchanges. Dometune in marisvlle runs 2001 none turbo heads on a 2.5 block with the 2.0 crank in a sti tune he can walk away from most domestics getting on the freeway. It is crazy fast!

Jcl
effutuo101
2004 and older you can get smallcar to re do your harness. I dint know if they have built 2004+ harnesses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.