Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VROOOOOM!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
Actually from around the block... chased me down into my driveway in his Hemi Pickup truck [this is FL after all] and said " do you know we have kids around here, bla,bla,bla"

I don't think I broke 35 but it must sound like 50!

I said "calm down, I'm just breaking in a new engine" and he responded "if you come on my block again I have your tag# and will call the cops". Man...I feel like I'm 16 again! IPB Image
drgchapman
Yeah, doesn't it feel great! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image I love when shit like that happens.
Aaron Cox
at 4K rpm in first in a oarking lot, i set off car alarms IPB Image
newdeal2
As my kids say "it's a beast"...I never thought pistons and a cam would be so cool! IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
I think my neighboors were pretty happy when mine went in the garage for the last time this fall IPB Image

Wait until the engine swap is complete even it there is 2 ft of snow on the ground I'll still be reving it up with the muffler pointing out the door. IPB Image
Brando
Ah man, you should have offered him a ride-along! I think after a few spins around in a V8 powered 914 he'd change his tune IPB Image
John
do you know we have kids around here, bla,bla,bla

Didn't you tell them that it is a 914?

Everyone KNOWS that they are crappy and slow, right?
xsboost90
yeah ive heard that line before. i always say " you let your kids play in the street?"
campbellcj
I'm kinda sensitive to this issue lately as I have a 3yr old and also live in a neighborhood with kids in every house.

But I find it effin' ludicrous how overboard some parents can get; I've had "hand signals" waved at me and so forth even when the streets were nearly deserted and I was putting at 5-10mph UNDER the speed limit. Geez. There is a huge Sheriff station 3 blocks away -- you think I'm gonna drive like a speed demon when constantly surrounded by cops? IPB Image

Many years ago I had neighbors yelling "SLOOOOOOOOW DOWWWWWNNNNN" out their windows as our garage was off a back-alley and my 911 with Bursch glasspack was really effin' loud...I was only going like 10mph in the narrow, dark alley at the time!!!
URY914
That is typical Clearwater. Old farts with nothing to do but bitch.
My wife lived in Clearwater when I met her. Her dad could have been your guy. IPB Image

P
DJsRepS
Hi URI Im in sarasota. Ugly good runner 72/914-1.7L.
DJsRepS
NewDeal what part of FLa do you live??
Joe Ricard
Ya If'n you come screaming through my nieghborhood you Might get a tennis ball thrown infront of your car. "Gee if you weren't going so fast you could have stopped" "it could have been my dog or worse one of the kids"!!!

My Male Dalmation was hit by a car last month (he's deaf) So he never heard it coming. DJ don't even look at the drive way anymore.

If you got to run the motor go to a parking lot Schools out till next week.
Mr.C
Yeah I had the same thing happen to me, cept my neighbor started cussin at me. Instant road rage. We had a nose to nose talk. I lived in an association and was already full of animosity after getting some anonymous notes for having friends over.
Being one of the youngest with interests in an area like that doesn't work.
newdeal2
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Dec 30 2004, 04:22 AM)
NewDeal what part of FLa do you live??

Clearwater closer to US 19.
newdeal2
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Dec 30 2004, 04:51 AM)
Ya If'n you come screaming through my nieghborhood you Might get a tennis ball thrown infront of your car. "Gee if you weren't going so fast you could have stopped" "it could have been my dog or worse one of the kids"!!!

My Male Dalmation was hit by a car last month (he's deaf) So he never heard it coming. DJ don't even look at the drive way anymore.

If you got to run the motor go to a parking lot Schools out till next week.

This is my point you see...I wasn't "screeming". I was in 2nd gear. with accellerations etc and was very careful.
newdeal2
QUOTE (URY914 @ Dec 29 2004, 08:35 PM)
That is typical Clearwater. Old farts with nothing to do but bitch.
My wife lived in Clearwater when I met her. Her dad could have been your guy. IPB Image

P

Not an old fart...guy was about 40...just a truckulant jerk. He pulled into my driveway. Next time I use a crowbar.
JmuRiz
Exact same thing happened to me in my parents neighborhood one, I just about started laughing. I was wearing my 80's era Porsche Design sunglasses for fun and had my older sister in the car. Probably going 25...had an old Brusch on it though, must have sounded loud. Meanwhile teens drive suvs like maniacs around there, go fig.
Andyrew
Well... I was at the muffler shop yesterday, there next to "hurts" rentals... Open headers, I set off about 5 car alarms pulling it in...

ya.. that was really cool... IPB Image
914efi
Respect your neighbors and hope they do the same.
newdeal2
QUOTE (914efi @ Dec 30 2004, 09:34 AM)
Respect your neighbors and hope they do the same.

I do...at least I don't chase them down the street in a big truck. I have lived in this neighborhood for 12 years. This is my first run in. He's a new guy in town.
ewdysar
I find that I'm setting off plenty of car alarms keeping it below 2K. IPB Image It might have something to do with the exhaust tips angled 45 deg towards the pavement, seems to set up some sort of resonance thing. IPB Image These are 2.5 inch pipes through flowmasters fed by a 327. But the only person who's commented on it in my neighborhood is my wife. IPB Image go figure....
Sammy
Sorry, but I'm on your neighbor's side on this one. BTDT.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Going thru my hood I was doing 20mph and there were two cops talking to one of the 'bors. They both looked at me (lowered Jetta, rims, perf. exhaust, etc...they were profiling me IPB Image ) and one of them motioned for me to slow down (pushing hand down, palm of hand facing down). I held up my right hand, gave the peace sign, then an O, indicating I was going 20 and not faster like they assumed. Of course, after doing that I thought, "Crap, he probably though I was indicating two zeros/losers!". But they didn't come to my house -- about three houses down, they saw me park in my drive way...there was definite, long eye-contact IPB Image

Also had the same old 'bor ask me to quit back-firing my Squareback when going by their house. I explained I wasn't doing it on purpose, that is was a carb problem I was working on, but he didn't seem to understand even though I was using language low enough for a 3rd grader to understand. The car back-fired everywhere so it wasn't like it just 'suddenly' happened in front of their house IPB Image

There are five children in my hood so I'm VERY conscience about my speed in my hood as well as others I may be traveling within and typically keep my speed to 20mph. There are others that don't pay attention and do go faster...I've yet to be next to the street when I observe them of course IPB Image because I would NICELY ask them to please watch out and slow down IPB Image

People who are rude about it deserve to get both barrels! Oh, Cabasa, at least you get notes. I get cops. Fucking old people with nothing better to do than bitch (and I don't live in an association, thank God). Can't even face me like an adult. I guess it makes it worse that I'm not doing anything wrong IPB Image . Luckily there are only a couple of them, the rest of the hood and I are friendly. All the kids will go out of their way to say "hi" and everyone knows if they need a battery charged or a tire filled or a frozen nut removed they come straight to my garage...so I know I'm not in the wrong.
eric914
My residential street is posted 20mph and I takes an effort to drive that slow. But with twin 4-year-old girls at home I try me best. How fast do you think you could stop doing 35mph? 50 feet? How much warning would you get when some small kid steps out or runs out in front of your car.

I agree some people think loud = fast but don’t come down on someone because he is looking out for his kids.

As far as all of you bragging on how loud your cars are shouldn't you be on the ricer board where loud = fast (at least in your mind). Cars don’t have to be excessively loud to have good exhausts. I always have to laugh when I hear a loud car revving through the gears as I pass them in our family van.
Andyrew
driving my moms "ricer" i guess you could say... (01 galant with spoiler and 17's..)
someone told me to slow down.. I was goin 25... He saw me, and a friend of mine in the seat and figured 'Punk kid probably is speeding'....

IPB Image

that was a while ago..
newdeal2
QUOTE (Sammy @ Dec 30 2004, 11:35 AM)
Sorry, but I'm on your neighbor's side on this one. BTDT.

No need to apologize. I did tell him I would stay on the main roads when "testing". I just think he should have been a little more polite about the whole thing. I'm not a criminal [yet].

IPB Image
newdeal2
QUOTE (eric914 @ Dec 30 2004, 12:43 PM)

As far as all of you bragging on how loud your cars are shouldn't you be on the ricer board where loud = fast (at least in your mind). Cars don’t have to be excessively loud to have good exhausts. I always have to laugh when I hear a loud car revving through the gears as I pass them in our family van.

I have kids too and plenty on my block with no complaints. Funny thing is after his rant he sped up the block..hmmm.

As far as your low blow on ricers, etc. I'm 49 years old, drive an Explorer, a GT6 and the 914. It has a "street" Bursch and a stock engine. It's not that loud just sounds like a Porsche. when it's in a higher rev it sounds like it's sprinting.

Chill my friend IPB Image
newdeal2
PS eric914...is that your rally car running over my lawn? IPB Image
eric914
Not my rally car, just a reminder how nuts they are. I crew for a friend’s car a couple of times a season. It is insane what they do on dirt and gravel roads. Makes most other forms of racing seem tame.

As for seeming upset, I am sorry. Didn't mean to come on to strong.

I love driving fast and the occasional stop light race as much as anyone but residential roads are not a place for either.

I had a 280Z on my street that use to go past my house hard into third gear (you can estimate the speed, he was accelerating hard from the main road 1/3 mile away). My solution was to stop and help the kid one day when his car was badly miss firing under boost. After that, he never did blast past by house.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.