Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have a Guinther screen to sell?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
koozy
I'm looking for a Guinther screen, if you happen to have one collecting dust

Mike
Woody
unsure.gif
pcar916
Are you talking about the low windshields for track cars?
koozy
Yes, the fiberglass piece used when cutting a windshield frame off. It covers the holes left by the windshield frame and also the dash, with a relief molded in the driver position. Richie Ginther came up with the idea back in the day so that's what they call it. Some folks use the alternate spelling, such as Patrick Motorsports. May have something to do with proprietary naming but in the interest of clarity I'll correct the spelling of Mr. Ginther's name in the subject line of this post.

But, yea... that's what I am looking for. Ya got one I can possibly buy? I would be very grateful.
koozy
This

Click to view attachment

Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Dec 15 2013, 11:34 AM) *

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/search/p...=ginther+screen
koozy
yep
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Dec 16 2013, 09:57 AM) *

yep

High Performance House used to carry them.
koozy
Cool. Thanks, Randal. I may try my hand at making one
McMark
QUOTE(koozy @ Dec 17 2013, 12:52 PM) *

Unless you're going for the specific look, I bet you can make something as good as a retail unit.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(koozy @ Dec 17 2013, 12:52 PM) *

Go for it. The guy that ran in Marina with the yellow car was a whiz at making his own FG lids. Maybe he can help...
stugray

I have shaped acrylic and that is relatively easy.
Shaping Lexan is more difficult (higher temps) and my guess is that you could not do it without an oven big enough for the entire piece.
stownsen914
I seem to recall that Steve Limbert (Aircooled Racing) made his own low windscreen for one of his SCCA cars a bunch of years ago. I tried to find a pic to post, but couldn't find one. Give it a go ...
koozy
Hey, a big oven... thats it. Thanx. I have a buddy that has a powdercoat shop. He has the right size oven. Great idea. Thanks.
Borderline
QUOTE(koozy @ Jan 5 2014, 07:38 PM) *

Hey, a big oven... thats it. Thanx. I have a buddy that has a powdercoat shop. He has the right size oven. Great idea. Thanks.

Years ago a friend of mine made a windscreen for a formula car using a heat gun to mold it. It took some patience, but it came out pretty good.
Randal
Acrylic bends at 266 degrees (F), so make a foam form, heat the acrylic in the oven to the forming temperature, then lay it on the form. If the temperature is correct it should mold to your form.

Not sure how this would work in a huge oven, like your buddies power coating oven, but maybe you can just lay the piece on the form and when the temperature is right it will mold.

Or just use a heat gun, which I'll be glad to lend you.

You can try some small pieces first in an oven to make sure the process works to your satisfaction.

But if you make a form, FG would be super easy and fast.

Drape molding sounds easy enough, except if the oven is big then how do you get in to drape the material over the mold once the material is warm enough??? Maybe you can just drape it then bring the oven up to temperature and gravity will make it form?

"Drape molding

In order to do this acrylic molding technique you need to have an industrial oven that is fan-heated. This is because when acrylic is heated it does give off fumes and in this technique it needs to be heated to a temperature of about 300 degrees. Once it is heated enough to mold, you then drape it over the concave or convex shape.

It would probably be a good idea to heat the mold as well so that it is warm when you drape the acrylic over it. There is a possibility that the acrylic will adhere to the mold and make it difficult to remove, which is why a felt blanket can be used. Drape the blanket over the mold and then drape the acrylic over this. This blanket also ensures that the temperature is equal on both sides of the sheet of acrylic."
stugray
You cant use acrylic (at least in my racing group).
We must use Lexan.

I have tried forming lexan with a heatgun, and it was NOT going to happen.
Particularly with the complex shape the OP is looking for.
BKLA
Mike - Just buy the patrick oneā€¦ save yourself money and time.
koozy
That may be my best option but at $400 shipped it seems a bit excessive
stugray
A 4'X8' X 3/16" sheet of lexan is about $220 without shipping to put that in perspective.

You would get at least two pieces out of that so you get a couple tries to get it right.
koozy
Excessive from a utilitarian standpoint. I would just as well run without one or lay up my own fiberglass. Thus the inquiry for a second-hand unit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.