Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need recomendation for product manufacture
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I want to make some porsche steering wheel spacers. Who do I go to for this. I know I can google "machine shop", but before I call or drive around trying to find the right place to get this done, I'm hoping to get some helpful advise from World. Thanks in advance, Mark

The part pictured below is all one piece of aluminum with a machined lip. Holes go all the way through and are threaded. I already have the needed dimensions and a sample. I'm looking to get ~25-50 made.
Mike Bellis
A quick search on ebay shows a dozen different types of steering wheel spacers for a Momo wheel.

Are you reinventing the wheel? So to speak...
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 15 2013, 02:18 PM) *

A quick search on ebay shows a dozen different types of steering wheel spacers for a Momo wheel.

Are you reinventing the wheel? So to speak...

Not reinventing but this spacer is not a commercially available product. I am spacing a Porsche wheel, not a Momo.
scotty b
I'll talk to Danny ( my machinist ) about this tomorrow. I can guarantee he'll be a lot cheaper and probably more precise than any normal shop.
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 15 2013, 03:10 PM) *

I'll talk to Danny ( my machinist ) about this tomorrow. I can guarantee he'll be a lot cheaper and probably more precise than any normal shop.

Perfect!
r_towle
Too heavy.
See if you can mill out some of the material.....just saying
MMW
I have a shop I use with my business. They are very reasonable & good too. Here is there web address. http://rawcoprecision.com/ His name is Jeff.
mepstein
QUOTE(MMW @ Dec 15 2013, 05:11 PM) *

I have a shop I use with my business. They are very reasonable & good too. Here is there web address. http://rawcoprecision.com/ His name is Jeff.

Thanks - I will call them if Scotty's guy doesn't want to take this on.
sixnotfour
http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...cers-(May-2011)

you are using Cornpanzers picture...And they are available..
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 15 2013, 06:10 PM) *

yes
mepstein
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 15 2013, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 15 2013, 06:10 PM) *

yes - I do not plan to sell the spacers separately. I will be using them in the steering wheels I am building.
Cornpanzer
Yes, that is my part as well as my photo that you are offering for sale.
gothspeed
popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cornpanzer @ Dec 15 2013, 09:28 PM) *

Yes, that is my part as well as my photo that you are offering for sale.

David - Please read the first post of this thread. I never said I was offering this part for sale or that the photo is mine. I simply used it as an example of a part I would like to get made for a product I would like to produce. I don't have a picture of the oem Porsche part so I used your phot as an example. The actual part that I own is not one of your spacers, it is a spacer made by another company also duplicating an nla Porsche part. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to give me a ring at 302.355.0684 or Mark.Epstein@me.com

Thanks, Mark
Mikey914
Actually, He's not offering these for sale directly.

I'm working on the plastic housing and the trim ring for him now. The idea is it will not be sold separately, but as part of a complete steering wheel unit.

I'm just finishing up the plastic molding now.
-Mark
sixnotfour
Mikey has the capability of making these ??
25-50 suggest a future sale..
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 15 2013, 10:39 PM) *

that makes no sense as Mikey has the capability of making these,
25-50 suggest a future sale.. sometimes it is a small world..

Yes, Mikey does. But the spacers are just for me to use to build steering wheels. Not to sell seperately. And unlike David stated, I am not selling parts off of his picture, it was simply an example of what I was describing. There are other manufacturers that sell both the spacers and the fully built steering wheels. I am not doing anything that others have not done and Porsche did not first do. Yes, quantities of 25-50 do imply a future sale. But as said above, they will be a component in a part I intend to sell, not a stand alone item.

I agree, it is a small world. I am certainly being very upfront about my intentions. I don't believe it's such a small world that there isn't room for David to sell his product (DIY steering wheel spacer) and me to sell mine- My version of a Porsche 911 rs steering wheel.

* please don't ask me to prove I actually have 25 porsche steering wheels available to restore and modify smile.gif
sixnotfour
Agreed, you should have used your own photo...As Cornpanzer actively uses the photo in his for sale adds,
I bet mikey can have em made as cheap or cheaper than others.
single source ..
DBCooper
Do you have autocad files and materials specs? There are a bunch of online shops specializing in fast prototype/small batch machining, just look a little. Unfortunately I can't find contact info for people I worked with but start with a free WTB ad on mfg.com. Careful there, be skeptical, cross your t's and all that, but they have a huge reach. Your part is actually simple, don't really need a CNC, anyone with a lathe and old Bridgeport. Post an ad on practicalmachinist.com. Lots of amateurs, but that should be OK, and there are pros with machining centers in their garages who do weekend work too. There's a smaller amateur site where people are cool, and when the name occurs to me again I'll post it. All those guys will give you multiple free quotes.

All that's a lot of work when the easiest way might be to just talk to Companzer about supplying them.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.