Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 weight loss clinic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Okay, today I decided to trim some of the unused items out of the V8 autoX car. This car has NO radio. But check out the speaker setup for the subs, first time I have ever seen this.
The I pulled out the heater blower assy., unsure about pulling out the wipers. We do get rain here and they still run in the rain.
I also thought I would try a German flag color combo. Swapped the top off of JLO.
More to do, drop the big black bumpers, new slicks.
CCLINFAST14
boxstr
Pic V8-3
boxstr
PicV8-4
URY914
Keep going. If it doesn't make go, stop or turn, take it out. IPB Image

Paul
boxstr
Paul Today was just day one of a two week weight loss plan. I will post a few more pics as the pounds drop off. IPB Image
CCLINATKINSDIET
J P Stein
Whatcha' gonna do with that thing, Pard? I gots lotso ideas, depending on the answer. IPB Image

Ole Smokey claimed he could grind enuff off an iron block to bring it within 40 lbs of an alloy block....and make more power.

Summit racing makes a 3 gallon gas tank that would drop nicely into your present hole.....8 X 8 X 12.
boxstr
JP I am going to start to trim off some weight and make it a weekend autoXer. I will probably tow dolly not drive to the track.
What kind of wisdom can you throw my way oh great drivelmeister??
CCLINSLIMFAST
J P Stein
Gut the interion....just leave 2 seats in case I want a ride IPB Image
Gut the doors.....glass & the whole wurks.
Plexiglass rear window.
Toss the head lights.
FG front & rear trunk lids & bumpers.
13 lb battery
Small gas tank.
Wipers & motors.....you won't wanna drive that thang in the rain

Schlicks you say?....your choice of flares.
I'm trading away (or selling) 6ea. 7 X 15 fuch which work well for cantilever slicks. Get rid of the steel wheels
boxstr
Remember this has the four lugs.
CCLIN????
J P Stein
QUOTE (boxstr @ Dec 29 2004, 11:19 PM)
Remember this has the four lugs.
CCLIN????

O...... why?
You gonna put them butt ugly Borbets on it? IPB Image
Joe Ricard
I got to go with JP on this Ditch the Empi's 18 lbs each vs. 13lbs for Factory 2.0L fuchs. But if you are going to keep the V-8 Horsepower and torque You are going to need bigger rubber.
What motor do you have? I am looking at the 5.0L Mustang motors much lighter than 350 Chevy. Also need aluminum intakes and heads. Headers save tons against the cast iron manifolds.
boxstr
Stop,Hold on here guys. First JP the Borbets are five lug. The V8 car is four lug. And no I am not going to put the Borbets on the V8 car.
Joe the Empis are on the car just for moving it around. I have 7" inch steel wheels with slicks for the the track. And no I don't know how much they weigh, but I will find out.
The motor in the car is a 327 destroked to 305. It has the blockhugger headers. It also has the Edelbrock aluminum intake manifold, MSD billet Dist. and all MSD ignition. And when you have this much torgue and horsepower in the 914, you can move weight around rather easily.
I am not a big fan of spending $1000 for Brodix, heads to save 50-100 lbs, I can drop the bumpers and save 50lbs instantly.
Today I will take my digital scale to record some weight saving measures.
CCLINLOWCARBDIETCRAZE
TC/914
What class are you running in with the V8 engine and body/interior mods? I want to bring my car to the Ft. Devens autocross this year if it's done up in time, but I don't think that SCCA has a class for it . . .

Any help?

Thanks,

TC
boxstr
Last year I ran in local PCA events. I think JP can be more help on the SCCA classifications.
CCLINV8ORPHAN
J P Stein
QUOTE (TC/914 @ Dec 30 2004, 08:27 AM)
What class are you running in with the V8 engine and body/interior mods? I want to bring my car to the Ft. Devens autocross this year if it's done up in time, but I don't think that SCCA has a class for it . . .

Any help?

Thanks,

TC

SCCA's got a class for bout everything.
Yours looks like E Modified.

Modified production & GT cars over 2000 ccs. 1500lbs minimum weight. That's about the extent of the rules.....
tough crowd IPB Image
ewdysar
Did the PO actually cut a large hole in the middle of the inner longs to mount speakers? IPB Image That can't be good, even without the V8. Bad PO, no cookies for you IPB Image IPB Image
That's got to be filled back in, and of course, a perfect time to put in Engman's inner long kit IPB Image If you're going to be pushing the car hard, the kit should make a big difference carrying the extra weight. I just received my kit, it'll be going in this spring.

Good luck, can't wait to see progress pictures.

Eric
rhodyguy
this car has many modifications. some may not be appearent or even noticeable. the p.o. had help with design and during the build up from gary fordal. so my guess is there is something we're not aware of to compensate for the circle of metal lost due to the speaker install.

kevin
Mike T
QUOTE (TC/914 @ Dec 30 2004, 08:27 AM)

Any help?

Thanks,

TC

Whoa... IPB Image

Wow a V8 914 owner that autocrosses on the east coast? IPB Image

If you go to an autocross at Ft. Devens next summer just mention that here and I'll bring my car too. 2 cars = instant class. I wanted to go this past summer but stayed local.

For once my car will be ready for the first event of the season instead of spread all over the garage.

Mike T
mskala
QUOTE (TC/914 @ Dec 30 2004, 11:27 AM)

Any help?

Thanks,

TC

PCA will have at least 9 days of autocross next year at Devens.

Join up. Normally a person doesn't have to join to run if you own
a porsche, but technically a V8 in a 914 will run in the 'Non-porsche'
class. That's anything the members want to bring, and has had
one v8 914 before a few years back.

They give you 6~8 runs of usually over a minute each.

See you around.
URY914
QUOTE (mskala @ Dec 30 2004, 07:37 PM)

They give you 6~8 runs of usually over a minute each.

Isn't it great how you spend HOURS working on your car and minutes driving it.

This year I spent less than 20 minutes driving in autocrosses.

IPB Image Paul
boxstr
It is a blessing in disguise. If you were flogging your car around a track every weekend all day long, you would be shortening its useful life quite rapidly. Paul, just think of how many more minutes of driving a left on your car.
CCLINTIMEGOESON
boxstr
Well today is weigh in time. What follows are a few of the items to be replaced with lighter fiberglass or a lighter alternative to the heavier factory items.
Front hood= 32.9
Rear hood=27.8
Rear window glass=9.4
Doors Early=22.9(stripped)
Doors Late= 34.6(stripped)
Gas tank= 17.5 (empty)
Heater parts= 10.0
Targa top= 22.1
Bumpers Late front=44.3
Bumpers Late rear= 43.2
Engine lid=15.2
Well that is a lot of weight to trim off, and a suprise what some of these items actually weigh.
CCLINATKINSDIET
URY914
Keep this list handy, people are always asking that things weigh.

Good work.
Andyrew
Wow, not a lot of weight to be taken off... eh, front and rear hoods and bumpers look like they net you 30 a piece plus about 20 total for replacement fiberglass...

So 100 lbs to replace the front and rear hoods and bumpers with fiberglass...

Not bad.

Targa top is really 22lbs? Wowzers.

Gota make me a lighter one.

Andrew
mskala
QUOTE (URY914 @ Dec 31 2004, 10:25 AM)
Isn't it great how you spend HOURS working on your car and minutes driving it.

This year I spent less than 20 minutes driving in autocrosses.

IPB Image Paul

And also hours flagging per minute of driving.
tesserra
If you get it light enough you may not need to put big brakes on the car. The only problem is that you will be going a lot faster between turns and a little slower into them.
Auto xing will never o- heat the brakes but TT and DE might.

George
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.