Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternatives to Hagerty
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
After investing more into my 914 lately, I decided I needed an agreed-value policy. I completed Hagerty's online application -- with a valuation of $14,000, the quote came back at $242/year.

Sounded great, and I hear so many great things about Hagerty -- with extras like towing coverage, etc.

So today I come to find out that they rejected my application because the car is stored in a carport and we live "in a coastal state". Apparently carports are okay in the center of the country, but not where there's coastal weather. My house has an attached carport... enclosing it isn't in our near-term home improvement plans.

The company that insures our DDs has a partnership with American Modern Insurance for agreed-value policies. Anybody have any experience with them, or recommend another insurer?
Johny Blackstain
I use American Collectors Car Ins. Used to be part of USAA, but they've gone independant since then. Had no issues w/ them, pay $800.00/yr to cover 3 vehicles on agreed value. All my cars however, are garaged. Did have to photograph the hell out of my truck though, to get the agreed value on it.
914itis
I have American collectors insurance . Give them a try.
flipb
Started filling out the application for American Collector Insurance and it has this... Suspect they'll decline to offer coverage. Also, since I started the thread, American Modern Insurance declined for the same reason.

Click to view attachment
NORD

I believe that all collector car Insurance Company's like the collector car to be stored in a garage that locks. Hagerty told me the number one place cars are stolen was from the owners driveway. Tell them you have a garage even if you hang tarps from the carport for pictures. I've used Hagerty for thirteen years.

santa_smiley.gif
dcheek
I've used Condon & Skelly for almost 30 years. No problems. And they were less expensive than Hagerty

Condon & Skelly
1 Executive Drive, #5
Moorestown, NJ 08057

800-257-9496
flipb
QUOTE(NORD @ Dec 16 2013, 12:17 PM) *

Hagerty told me the number one place cars are stolen was from the owners driveway.

Television taught me that most of the time, when a collector car is stolen from a driveway, it's all because of Chip Foose and his band of merry mechanics.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(NORD @ Dec 16 2013, 08:17 AM) *

I believe that all collector car Insurance Company's like the collector car to be stored in a garage that locks. Hagerty told me the number one place cars are stolen was from the owners driveway. Tell them you have a garage even if you hang tarps from the carport for pictures. I've used Hagerty for thirteen years.

santa_smiley.gif

You "tell them you have a garage" + your car is stolen = "so long, and thanks for all the money!" Believe it. You tried to cheat them, they get to keep your money.

The Cap'n
Mikey914
Enclose the car port = garage.
I have Hagerty and have 3 cars insured for about $600 a year.You can't drive more than 5000 mi per year (per car) also, but not a problem for me.
As long as you can put it into an area that's has controlled access, and is out of the elements, they will be happy.
914itis
Keep in mind that the garage can be anywhere , if you have a friend or a rental off your premises they will accept that.
My 2nd 914 was on the same policy, using a different address as garage. They were fine with it.
JeffBowlsby
I have had excellent experience with JC Taylor at a much reduced cost than indicated above. A lockable garage and proof of another main driver vehicle is a must though. No limit on mileage.
flipb
So for the record, it's looking like Hagerty might have been the most flexible... They will insure if you store in a carport in certain states where weather isn't considered an issue.
GeorgeRud
All these collector policies are similar, but assume minimal risk of loss as these are generally pampered vehicles, and their premiums reflect this. If a car is outside in a coastal area, there is an increased risk of loss due to possible hurricanes, so the risk is higher than they may want to take on. Same applies with home owner's insurance deductibles in Florida, so it seems to be a common assumption in the insurance industry. Above all, I wouldn't lie on the application as that makes the policy null and void if you do ever have a claim.
smveril
Hagerty dropped me because I drove my car during a 60 degree during December and was hit by a 16 year old. Her insurance company paid for the damage but Hagerty dropped me because I was driving my 914 in December in the north.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(smveril @ Dec 16 2013, 11:22 AM) *

Hagerty dropped me because I drove my car during a 60 degree during December and was hit by a 16 year old. Her insurance company paid for the damage but Hagerty dropped me because I was driving my 914 in December in the north.

I'm not aware of any usage restrictions based on the month of the year. Now, if you said, "I was driving home from work and a 16-year old girl plowed into me" that might constitute improper agreed upon use. Hagerty states that "normal or backup transportation such as driving to and from work, school or errands" is not acceptable, but "usage for club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving" is acceptable.

Jesco Reient
QUOTE(NORD @ Dec 16 2013, 08:17 AM) *

"Tell them you have a garage even if you hang tarps from the carport for pictures."

Yes, then they will not pay your claim as insurance fraud is excluded from the deal.
Never lie or mislead when legal issues are involved.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 16 2013, 09:44 AM) *

I have had excellent experience with JC Taylor at a much reduced cost than indicated above. A lockable garage and proof of another main driver vehicle is a must though. No limit on mileage.

+1
Marty
anderssj
Leyland-West, 150 per year for 12K agreed value, underwritten by American Modern Home Insurance. Policy required a locked garage with smoke detector and proof of another relatively new car as a daily driver.
struckn

agree.gif

I have four vintage cars insured by JC Taylor for a total annual cost of a little over $300. Taylor is part of Foremost Insurance.

struckn

agree.gif

I have four vintage cars insured by JC Taylor for a total annual cost of a little over $300. Taylor is part of Foremost Insurance.

Also had my Motor Cycle included and when you have I think its more the two vehicles on their policy your added vehicles are insured at no additional cost.
ConeDodger
I have American Collector as well though I was not aware they were no longer part of USAA which has been my DD insurer for decades.
Never had a claim problem with the one claim I filed (WCR 2010 Rock) they paid $7000+ to make the car perfect again. They didn't raise my rates or even blink when Scott Yeaman told them "if this car was average, it would be worth $10000. It's not average. It's much more."

I think I pay close to, but under $200 a year. My collector plate mileage and driving restrictions are more stringent than the insurance company.
carr914
QUOTE(smveril @ Dec 16 2013, 02:22 PM) *

I'm calling BS on that! They dropped you because you had an Accident - all Collector Ins Co's will do that
stugray
I have a similar question.

I need to insure a 71 914 whose primary function is racing.
I want to insure it from theft or damage if the damage occurs from/to the racetrack or while in storage
I will sign the liability release for any damage that occurs while racing.

What are some options that some of you must have transporting cars to/from race events.

jrrhdmust
I have my classics also insurred with American Collector. I started with USAA also.

I pay $89/year for 24k coverage (no deductible) on a 1973 Mach 1 Mustang.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 16 2013, 08:59 PM) *

I have a similar question.

I need to insure a 71 914 whose primary function is racing.
I want to insure it from theft or damage if the damage occurs from/to the racetrack or while in storage
I will sign the liability release for any damage that occurs while racing.

What are some options that some of you must have transporting cars to/from race events.

Racetrack only?
All 4 wheels off the ground during transport?

Needless, none of the collector car companies are going to insure a car expressly used for racing.

Zach
carr914
My Collector Ins Co Insures my Race Car for when it is in my Garage. Of course it has Plates & Title & they don't know what I use it for. It's Insured for $40k!
stugray
Racetrack only?
All 4 wheels off the ground during transport?

Needless, none of the collector car companies are going to insure a car expressly used for racing.

My brother's TR4 race car is insured for $30k.
It is street legal, transport to & from racetrack & insured no matter what happens to it EXCEPT racing.
I havent looked at his policy wording.

Mike Bellis
I looked at all the above companies. For my location prices range from the high $400's to the mid $500's per year. All with a 5000 mileage cap.

I saw an ad in the PCA Panorama mag today. Leland West. http://pca.lelandwest.com/

They are sanctioned by the PCA and offer a discounted rate to members. My instant quote was only $250 and I get to drive 6000 miles. They also offer 10K miles and unlimited miles.
r_towle
I keep having issues with my odometer breaking.
I also never could drive my 914 that many miles....heck I still need to weld up the flares.
somd914
One other gotcha I found with classic car insurance is the reluctance to allow young drivers behind the wheel.

I tried numerous companies, most required any driver (on the policy or not) to have a minimum of 5-10 years of driving experience; Hagerty was the only one I found who would allow my college-aged sons to drive.

So for anyone out there with classic insurance and an occasional driver who has less than 5-10 years of experience, you might want to check your policy.
Porschef
Hagerty dinged me because my wife has points on her license. I told them she's not a driver of this car. They didn't care. They didn't care that not only would she be unable to find the key, she wouldn't be able to find reverse. Forget about backing up, that's entirely different, she can't do that either. Forget about the fact she doesn't drive a manual. Forget about the fact that I'd never let her in the drivers seat.

But she lives here, in my house.

So there. bs.gif boid.gif I'm looking for something different.
saigon71
Check with your regular insurance company. I was pleasantly surprised. The policy on my truck is with Erie. I added my 914 with an insured value of $12,500 for about $250 per year...no mileage or any other restrictions. They sent an appraiser to the house to check out the car. Haggerty was about the same price. Plus, I got a multi-vehicle discount that lowered the insurance on my truck. Insurance on both is now $550 per year and I have full coverage on the 914 with a low deductible...most importantly, no restrictions. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

tumamilhem
I went with Safeco classic car insurance. They are under Liberty Mutual. I went with them because Hagarty and most classic car insurances restrict you to only 2000 miles a year. With Safeco I can drive unlimited, unrestricted miles. I dictate the value of my cars too. I have my LE Can Am insured for $40K and my 75 2.2 at $20K.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.