Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: finally began my brake work, but had to take a break
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Rear brake locked up a few months ago, parked the car, took a while to get the time to do this and found a rusted up caliper,. But I already have my new ones from PMB! But now I have to get new hard lines too! Which I ordered tonight any advice on removing the soft lines etc.
bulitt
5 Piece Metric Double-End Flare Nut Wrench Set

10$ at HF

IPB Image
914_teener
I just did this one.

+1 on the flare wrench.

From the looks of things I would get an extra can of PB Blaster as well.

I had the control arm off when I did mine so can't speak to the accessibility issue that Eric said was "some choice new words" trying to get it broke loose.

It may be a different story with the control arm on. I replaced the bushings and CV's and shocks and.........

Good luck.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 16 2013, 10:36 PM) *

I just did this one.

+1 on the flare wrench.

From the looks of things I would get an extra can of PB Blaster as well.

I had the control arm off when I did mine so can't speak to the accessibility issue that Eric said was "some choice new words" trying to get it broke loose.

It may be a different story with the control arm on. I replaced the bushings and CV's and shocks and.........

Good luck.

I did the group buy for the 5 lug as well, and bought refurbished trailing arms and had PMB put in the bearings and hubs, also pivot shaft bushings etc. BUT i am not ready to put those on yet, as i have not had my Fuchs refinished yet - because i have been paining my house!!(because i could find many better things to do with my $10k that i was quoted to have it done professionally-like pay off my boxster and buy parts for the Teener!)
once that is done we will be hitting the 5 lug and some rustoration!!!
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(bulitt @ Dec 16 2013, 07:56 PM) *

5 Piece Metric Double-End Flare Nut Wrench Set

10$ at HF

IPB Image

Too bad the only wrench missing from that set is the only one you'll really need. wink.gif

Tip: For the soft lines, simply cut the old line off close to the fitting up by the engine shelf, then use a deep well socket to remove the fitting while holding the hardline with an "11mm" flare wrench. This is easier than trying to maneuver two wrenches in tight quarters.
914_teener
Gitter done......ya don.t need the rims to start poke.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 18 2013, 08:24 PM) *

Gitter done......ya don.t need the rims to start poke.gif

i know, so the calipers are off- since i have to disconnect the shafts to switch out the trailing arms, i am going to go a head and pull the transmission while it is up, i have a bad RMS, leaking bad so while i am in there i am doing the rms, clutch , pressure plate etc . Might as well! and it will just have to sit until the rims are ready-
this car has not sat on jackstands for more than a month the 4 years i have owned it!(it has sat on all 4 wheels for a while though dry.gif )

anyway you said you did the calipers when you did your trailing arms , good idea. ive had mine since the group buy last spring just could not get too it as i have been painting my house mad.gif (4500 square feet of it)- the outside i figured better to save the money for the teener and pay my kids to help, than to spend $10k to some guy that will just fuchs it up anyway(had it stained 4 years ago, and now i have to do it over again because it was not done right the first time!!!!)

so while they are painting saturday, i will be under the car smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.