Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
I'm new to this forum, and recently became a 914 fan. I just viewed a 1974 1.8L, and trying to decide if I should buy it. I used the Pelican buyers guide as a reference, and the car seems in pretty decent shape. What little rust there is seems to be just some surface rust here and there. It has been repainted at some point in a different colour. Is has dual carbs instead of the FI. Interior needs some work, especially seats and carpeting. Steel rims.
The car has been sitting in a garage for three years though, and it won't currently start. Supposedly it was running fine before it was parked. Is it worth taking a chance on a car that seems in decent shape, but that isn't actually running? I'd appreciate some advice! I know that's not much info to go on, but perhaps some thoughts on a reasonable purchase value as well.
Thanks!
Dr Evil
Price is important, what is it?

welcome.png
CG-914
welcome.png

Well a Porsche even a 914 is always more expensive in parts then other cars.
But worth it (too me at least)

Well a 914 came with rust from the factory. But they rust fast if you dont take care of it! dry.gif
The hell hole is the part in the engine bay, below the battery, which is usually rusted the worst, therefore hell hole.
If the car has been repainted, the question is how the condition of the body underneath the 'new' paint is…

Well it doesn't start, so not being there it is hard to say, what it is, therefore hard to say, if it is worth it!
1. Does the engine turn over at least?
2. What does the car cost?
3. Keep in mind, that the 1.8 compared to the 1.7 or even 2.0, the least favorite car is. But still a great 914!!! driving.gif

You should make yourself a list with all the parts the car needs, ad those prices to the buying price and compare it to 914, that you might like too and are running and driving good.
Do you have more details? Pictures? Maybe a link?

Cornelius
JeffBowlsby
Carbed, not FI? You'd be buying it 'as is' that is, not running, without recourse. I would pass regardless of the price, unless you are looking for a project car..
PanelBilly
If the shell is in great shape, that's valuable on its own. Jeff is right and the price should be for a project and you'll need to have the desire and money to make it run.
porbmw
Unless you are quite mechanically inclined (I am not...am at the best quasi), I would not buy a non-running 14 (and I really, really like these cars).

If you are going to have to rely on someone else to get it running....odds are you are going to get discouraged, frustrated, and never get to appreciate the cars for what the can be/are....
IGTARD
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Dec 16 2013, 08:35 PM) *

I'm new to this forum, and recently became a 914 fan. I just viewed a 1974 1.8L, and trying to decide if I should buy it. I used the Pelican buyers guide as a reference, and the car seems in pretty decent shape. What little rust there is seems to be just some surface rust here and there. It has been repainted at some point in a different colour. Is has dual carbs instead of the FI. Interior needs some work, especially seats and carpeting. Steel rims.
The car has been sitting in a garage for three years though, and it won't currently start. Supposedly it was running fine before it was parked. Is it worth taking a chance on a car that seems in decent shape, but that isn't actually running? I'd appreciate some advice! I know that's not much info to go on, but perhaps some thoughts on a reasonable purchase value as well.
Thanks! No. Shalom. IGTARD

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.