Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 Information Please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Hi
Perhaps you can assist me - I'm buying my first 914.
It's a 1973 porsche 2.0 with appearance package .

My question is there's allot of people selling 1.7 1.8 and 2.0

Did some searching and not very clear .
How would I know that the 914 engine is 2.0 ????
And where and how do you match the engine to the body etc.?
Even the original factory color to the car !

And I heard 2.0 is made by porshe father Volkswagen ? Is that correct ?

Excuse my ignorance on the questions I like the 914's
But don't really know much about engines , me ahn is etc!

Thank you in advance for your time ...
Regards
Francis
Jeffs9146
The 2.0L is a Porsche built motor (unless it has been modified) all others except the 2.0L-6 are VW!

The 2.0L intake on the Porsche heads are 3 bolt and the intake on the VW are 4 bolt.
johannes
The 2.0 engine was engeniered by the Porsche racing departement but manufactured by VW.
DBCooper
There are different injection systems on different engines and years and other external things, but it's difficult to know what's inside an engine because parts could have been changed over the years. That's the reason for Jeff's "unless it's been modified" comment, since after 40 years there aren't many engines that haven't yet been re-built, so potentially modified. The only dependable external tell is the three bolt heads of the 2.0 liter engine. The 2.0 engine used three bolts to attach the intake manifolds to the heads, the 1.7 and 1.8 engines used four bolts, one on either side of each intake runner. But even that isn't definitive, since the 1.7 and 1.8 heads can be installed on a 2.0 liter engine, and vice-versa, the 2.0 liter parts can be used with a smaller case. Or VW T4 car or bus engine parts could have been installed in the engine. So you have to either take the owners word or, to be certain, actually take the engine apart.

There's a good set of engine and part number identifiers at http://www.tunacan.net/t4/index.shtml, look at the "reference" tab, then "crankcase" or "cylinder head" or whatever part you have, to identify where it came from, what it is. But obviously that isn't helpful until the engine's apart.

For colors, equipment, options, etc. check in the Pelican Parts Tech pages, http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914world.htm. He might be especially interested in starting at the "buying a 914" guide there, which has a lot of the info he'll need and links.

ky914
I thought I had a 2.0 since that was the badge on the back. However, I learned that I actually have a 1.7 from the engine number.

If the engine starts with W, EA or EB, it is a 1.7. EC is the 1.8. GA and GC are the 2.0 4 cylinders.

IPB Image

larryM
VW bus also had a type4 2.0 - but it uses the heads with small valves, and has SQUARE exh ports

other than that you can have a type4 2.0 motor real cheap from pick'n'pull, and just bolt on your 914 heads

or - once upon a time - somebody actually made an adapter to fit the vw exh port to a 914 oval - i had a set long ago - long since sold
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.