Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange behavior
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
Well, I'm finally getting to drive the car!!!

IPB Image

But... it seems when I hit speeds around 60 MPH (hard to tell with these tires), there's absolutely no power when I go into 5th gear... Makes it kinda scary to even think about getting on the freeway.

Suggestions? Comments? Ideas?

Thanks,

Carlos
dlo914
at what RPM while in 5th?
DJsRepS
Ive heard 5th has a bit of overdrive to it. My 72- 1.7L 80hp motor can hit almost 100mph in 4th but 5th rpm's increase slowly to 105+. I had a bad front tire and backed off, I figure it needs more hp to get it there quicker. I had the top off and a good size passenger or it could have done a little better.
DJsRepS
Oh yea what was your speed and RPM? On my car in 5th the MPH will raise faster than the RPM will watch yours and see.
DJsRepS
I just re read your post In 4th at 60 your rpm is only around 3g or less. Thats like a cruise speed. Try running out 2nd through 4th up to near 5500 rpm then the 5th gear shift you should be near 90 to 95 mph. To me shifting into 5th at 60 mph is only behaving good for a cop less noise etc...
Rusty
QUOTE (cmolina @ Dec 30 2004, 03:54 AM)
Well, I'm finally getting to drive the car!!!

IPB Image

But... it seems when I hit speeds around 60 MPH (hard to tell with these tires), there's absolutely no power when I go into 5th gear... Makes it kinda scary to even think about getting on the freeway.

Carlos... that's great! IPB Image

You have good power at high RPMs in other gears? If not, I would check your fuel filter.

Let me crawl out on a limb... clutch slippage?

-Lawrence
Aaron Cox
your engin makes its torque and HPO higher than 3k rpm, 2nd thru 4th to 5 k will get you there

(my car makes a butt load of torque at 4600)
Carlitos Way
SO... don't plan to go into 5th until I'm doin' well over 60 on the freeway???
nebreitling
yup. sounds like you're shifting early. you should never cruise at less than 3k rpm. shift higher than that. these engines need rpms to help them cool; bogging an engine will increase head temps, shorten engine life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.