2258cc
10.5 to 1 compression
40 webers
494 web cam
type 1 oil pump
mocal oil cooler 25 row
mocal sandwich w/thermostat adapter
accusump 2 quart
Brad Penn Air-cooled oil 15-50 (5 1/2 quarts)

Let me explain my set-up
The oil cooler is a rear mount under the car on the passenger side rear. I made some duct work and its almost vertical to catch the most air as possible.
Track conditions
Sunny, low 80s, 30min sessions

question 1) With that cooler I didn't expect to run in the 230f oil temps. Is 230f acceptable?
question 2) I also have some oil on the top of the case /engine tin pooling. 1-2 side.
It only happens under WOT. Any ideas?
question 3) I never set-up an accusump and I don't like it so far.
It over fills the case at shut-off. Do I have to much air in it (9lbs)?
Other then my oil questions, I had a great time. Ran a 2:51. My new best time.
smilie_pokal.gif

brant
you really need a front cooler to improve efficiency on the track

I know Chris at Tangerine and others have wonderful rear cooler systems that work... I'm not taking anything away from them

but frontal air is going to be more efficient
and I have always found front coolers to be more effective
(I did put a rear cooler into one car, and was never pleased with it's results)

regarding the accusump... I assume you have a shut off valve?
you have to contain the oil into the sump for shut off
without the valve the over-full condition blows valve cover gaskets
possibly the source of your oil pooling too.

brant
Jetsetsurfshop
I didn't like the idea of running the oil lines all the way up there in fear of the oil pressure falling off to much.
Also worried about creating lift with the bottom exit of air.
I'm I stressed about nothing?

The accusump is a mystery to me. WTF.gif I pull in to the pits, car is at idle and I shut off the accusump. It seems to me that the oil viscosity is thinner at temperature and won't travel back up the pump? Once the oil temp has dropped to 160ish I can fill it back up. I just don't like all that oil sitting in the crankcase.
brant
Back when we ran an accusump. We used to close the valve on the cool down lap by reving the motor under load to redline. (Building the most oil pressure possible with a hot engine)
ThePaintedMan
Hey Shane,
I don't know much about Accusumps, but I have an idea about your oil pooling. Do you have head vents and a breather box? If so, check the connection from the hose at the head. FourBlades has vented heads and he popped one of the hoses off, spewing oil all over the place when we were at Sebring. Mostly at WOT though.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 17 2013, 09:32 AM) *

Back when we ran an accusump. We used to close the valve on the cool down lap by reving the motor under load to redline. (Building the most oil pressure possible with a hot engine)

I was thinking the same thing. Kinda wish I didn't install it.
Thanks
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 17 2013, 05:15 PM) *

Hey Shane,
I don't know much about Accusumps, but I have an idea about your oil pooling. Do you have head vents and a breather box? If so, check the connection from the hose at the head. FourBlades has vented heads and he popped one of the hoses off, spewing oil all over the place when we were at Sebring. Mostly at WOT though.

I think its coming out of the dipstick WTF.gif
brant
if you don't want to use it, just shut the valve and make sure the oil level in the motor is correct...

but these cars have a significant oiling problem in stock trim during cornering....

I installed a 2nd large oil pressure warning light on a 15lb pressure switch and could light it easily when I forgot to turn on the accusump.

you need some kind of additional oil modifications over stock for track work.

brant
Woody
Get rid of the head vents. Plug em off. Drill the chimney straight through and run it to a breather tank like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85400/overview/

Pooling may be caused by a bad chimney gasket.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 17 2013, 08:57 AM) *

Does your class allow for a hood vent?

If so, create some extra downforce and vent out the hood ...
smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1898832
carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 17 2013, 11:57 AM) *

I didn't like the idea of running the oil lines all the way up there in fear of the oil pressure falling off to much.
I'm I stressed about nothing?

The accusump is a mystery to me.

When I had my 4 Cylinder Track car I Always ran the Accusump and had a Front Cooler, but my Temps were always High. I think it is because Sebring is such a Long Track & the RPMs are always High.

As Far as Routing the Air from the Front Cooler, you can run it out the Front Wheel Wells

Click to view attachment
carr914
Here's another Duct to Wheel Well

Click to view attachment
brant
The exit must be larger or less restrictive than the intake

I changed my front cooler exit twice on an old 914 race car. Each time I hanged to a less restrictive exit I dropped another 10-15 degrees of oil temp. This was with the same cooler on the same car and same motor.

The tubes to the wheel wells are to restrictive. Air won't flow through the cooler with that much resistance
nolift914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 17 2013, 07:15 PM) *

Hey Shane,

Sounds like you have a FAT 2258 which is same setup that I have. I have 11 to 1 compression which caused positive pressure in the case resulting in the dipstick being pushed out and oil spraying from the tube. I use a rubber cap to close the tube when I am running. In addition I run a tangerine racing breather can.
ChrisFoley
An accusump is an engine saver if its set up correctly.
It's important to shut the valve while the oil pressure is high so the accusump is fully charged.
The system should incorporate a check valve to force the accusump to feed the bearings and not the oil pump.

230F oil temp is ok if your pressure is good.
A front mounted cooler may be necessary if the temp goes any higher.
In that case use dash 12 lines to keep pressure loss to a minimum.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 17 2013, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 17 2013, 08:57 AM) *

Does your class allow for a hood vent?

If so, create some extra downforce and vent out the hood ...
smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1898832

I'm just doing DE's right now and I don't worry about class stuff to much. I enjoy engineering my car as much as running it. driving.gif
A hood vent would be my first choice though.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Dec 18 2013, 12:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 17 2013, 07:15 PM) *

Hey Shane,

Sounds like you have a FAT 2258 which is same setup I have. I have 11 to 1 which caused positive pressure in the case resulting in the dipstick being pushed out any oil spraying from the tube. I use a rubber cap to close the tube when I am running. I addition run a tangerine racing breather can.

Have a tangerine breather can already, but I like your rubber cap idea. Ill try that at the next event. If theres still oil there it could be from the oil filler cap.
Seabird
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 17 2013, 07:29 PM) *

if you don't want to use it, just shut the valve and make sure the oil level in the motor is correct...

but these cars have a significant oiling problem in stock trim during cornering....

I installed a 2nd large oil pressure warning light on a 15lb pressure switch and could light it easily when I forgot to turn on the accusump.

brant

A little bit of a highjack here, sorry. Brant when you say stock trim you mean without the tunacan/larger sump? Or am I to understand that a accusump is necessary equipment for track applications?

Miguel
nolift914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 17 2013, 09:32 AM) *

Hey Everyone biggrin.gif
Here's what I'm running
2258cc
10.5 to 1 compression
40 webers
494 web cam
type 1 oil pump
mocal oil cooler 25 row
accusump 2 quart

Let me explain my set-up
The oil cooler is a rear mount under the car on the passenger side rear. I made some duct work and its almost vertical to catch the most air as possible.
Track conditions

question 1) With that cooler I didn't expect to run in the 230f oil temps. Is 230f acceptable?
question 2) I also have some oil on the top of the case /engine tin pooling. 1-2 side.
smilie_pokal.gif

What type fuel are you running with the 10.5 to 1 compression ? I have been running 110 leaded sunoco race gas but the location I have buying it from recently closed. The only race gas within 50miles of me is 100 unleaded.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Dec 19 2013, 12:47 PM) *
What type fuel are you running with the 10.5 to 1 compression ?

Pump gas, 91 octane. The twin plug setup helps with that ...
shades.gif
brant
QUOTE(Seabird @ Dec 19 2013, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 17 2013, 07:29 PM) *

brant

A little bit of a highjack here, sorry. Brant when you say stock trim you mean without the tunacan/larger sump? Or am I to understand that a accusump is necessary equipment for track applications?

Miguel

Miguel,
I think I was a little vague because there are lots of opinions
I believe the tuna can with extended pick up will help A LOT, and may be good enough....

that being said, my own belief is that a small accusump is even a little better
we used to run both on our 4 cylinder race car

before I added the accusump, I used to run only a tuna can (along with the front cooler and large oil pump)

a high volume oil pump is probably a really good addition to help during any momentary dips in oil pressure

We didn't add the accusump due to any failures
but improved oiling during cornering should increase motor life
and during the 13 or so years we ran the 4 cylinder race car it evolved from DE to full Club Race.... we kept buying hotter and hotter more dedicated motors during that time and at some point it became a bit of insurance to improve oiling and help an expensive motor last longer.

brant
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Dec 19 2013, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 17 2013, 09:32 AM) *

Hey Everyone biggrin.gif
Here's what I'm running
2258cc
10.5 to 1 compression
40 webers
494 web cam
type 1 oil pump
mocal oil cooler 25 row
accusump 2 quart

Let me explain my set-up
Track conditions

smilie_pokal.gif

What type fuel are you running with the 10.5 to 1 compression ? I have been running 110 leaded sunoco race gas but the location I have buying it from recently closed. The only race gas within 50miles of me is 100 unleaded.

I've been adding 100 octane aviation fuel. biggrin.gif
brant
if you use a wide band, its best to check your ratio's with AV gas
the gas is fine, but some of the stabilizers and fillers in it are different than pump or race gas

due to the extra additives, it slightly changes your air/fuel ratio's with less power in the same volume

nothing big... but sometimes slightly different jetting can bring improvements.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 18 2013, 05:30 PM) *

An accusump is an engine saver if its set up correctly.
It's important to shut the valve while the oil pressure is high so the accusump is fully charged.
The system should incorporate a check valve to force the accusump to feed the bearings and not the oil pump.

230F oil temp is ok if your pressure is good.
A front mounted cooler may be necessary if the temp goes any higher.
In that case use dash 12 lines to keep pressure loss to a minimum.

I don't have a check valve and will be installing it after the new year.
I really don't want to put the cooler up front. Anyone use the heater ducts to get cool air to the rear?
brant
I re-read the thread and answered my own question....

but frontal air is much more efficient
the heater ducts don't carry significant air what so ever
the cowl is a low pressure and I've seen that work...
if you keep the cooler as you have it, you may need to build a scoop where there is clean air above or below the car to bring air to the cooler.
ThePaintedMan
Brant, I KNOW I've asked you this before, probably over two years ago when I first started. But is that all there is to it to add a front oil cooler for a /4? A high volume pump, sandwich adapter, lines, cooler and ducting? I admit I still don't quite get the Type 4 oiling system, but I was always worried about pressure dropping off from running oil that far forward and then back.
carr914
George, as long as you have the Upgrade to the Oil Pump your Pressure will be good.

The Accusump I think is essential to a -4 that is on the Track because of Corner Forces & the resulting loss of Oiling . Plus another advantage is Pre-Oiling the Motor prior to Start-up
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 20 2013, 01:01 AM) *

Brant, I KNOW I've asked you this before, probably over two years ago when I first started. But is that all there is to it to add a front oil cooler for a /4? A high volume pump, sandwich adapter, lines, cooler and ducting? I admit I still don't quite get the Type 4 oiling system, but I was always worried about pressure dropping off from running oil that far forward and then back.

I use dash 12 lines to minimize pressure losses from drag.
brant
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 19 2013, 11:01 PM) *

yes sir...
its one of those jobs that sounds alot worse than it actually is.

Depending on the motor, I've had some motors with the addition of the oil pressure spring kit also.

but oil pressure drop off isn't a problem with a larger pump.
putting the pump in can be harder than the rest of the job.
ThePaintedMan
Gotcha, thanks guys. Still trying to figure out if we need one. The last time I was at Sebring, oil temps peaked at 210, which is perfect. But then again, the motor wouldn't turn past 4,000 rpms, so I'm not sure that was a good gauge on whether we needed a cooler or not.

Hoping to do another DE in the Spring to find out for sure. I know about the modification to the drive tab needed to run a cast iron Type I pump in a Type IV. But anyone have any recommendations on a good pump and recommended size? This motor is somewhat stockish, from what I can tell. Joe O'Brien seems to think it's got a hotter cam in it, but until I have the chance to measure it I don't know what the duration is. Just need a pump that will be sufficient to do it's job, but not draw too much attention from the Chumpcar officials.

This is the only one I know anything about: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/MELLING-30mm-...ling-type-1.htm

Sorry for the hijack Shane!
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 20 2013, 09:53 AM) *

Gotcha, thanks guys. Still trying to figure out if we need one. The last time I was at Sebring, oil temps peaked at 210, which is perfect. But then again, the motor wouldn't turn past 4,000 rpms, so I'm not sure that was a good gauge on whether we needed a cooler or not.

Hoping to do another DE in the Spring to find out for sure. I know about the modification to the drive tab needed to run a cast iron Type I pump in a Type IV. But anyone have any recommendations on a good pump and recommended size? This motor is somewhat stockish, from what I can tell. Joe O'Brien seems to think it's got a hotter cam in it, but until I have the chance to measure it I don't know what the duration is. Just need a pump that will be sufficient to do it's job, but not draw too much attention from the Chumpcar officials.

This is the only one I know anything about: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/MELLING-30mm-...ling-type-1.htm

Sorry for the hijack Shane!

I don't mind a good hijack. Its all good info for me too.
I don't see how a 914 can compete with the other chumpcars. Without traffic I could do from 2:51-2:53. Guys were running 2:40s!!
Have you contacted the chumpcar guys? I'm going to make a questions list and ring them up. I think my 5-lug conversion may be a problem. confused24.gif
brant
I've used the melling in about 7 motors now

some folks will tell you the steel expansion rate of a melling is problematic with an aluminum case... possibly causing loss of pressure if the expansion creates internal leak-by

I personally have not had that problem
currenlty there is one in the yellow car I sold (rear trunk cooler car with no track use), and the black car I still own with a front cooler

I used them in all of my 4 race motors back in the day also.

I believe that Jake had said that the quality control of the melling had dropped significantly a couple of years ago when the company traded hands... I've only bought one since that time and its working well

so I haven't noticed any problems ?

brant
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 20 2013, 01:31 PM) *

I don't mind a good hijack. Its all good info for me too.
I don't see how a 914 can compete with the other chumpcars. Without traffic I could do from 2:51-2:53. Guys were running 2:40s!!
Have you contacted the chumpcar guys? I'm going to make a questions list and ring them up. I think my 5-lug conversion may be a problem. confused24.gif

Shane, send me a PM if you have any questions. I've reached out to Chumpcar a lot over the past two years and they've been extremely helpful. There are a few idiosyncrasies to the 914 that don't apply to most of the other cars whereby we have some loopholes in the rules. I doubt they would ever even know that a 5-lug conversion wasn't stock. Their eyes are mostly focused on the BMW and Honda guys.

To answer your question, the 914 is not competitive. At all. Best times at the 2013 Sebring race were in the low 2:40s and several cars probably were capable of going below that. Heck, I turned 2:43s in a BMW E30 that understeered like a pig. But I built ours to have fun and hopefully finish. If and when we blow the motor, we'll put a Suby in it and destroy them all smile.gif

Thanks for the advice and personal experiences Brant! We'll see how it does at the next DE. If it gets too hot, at least I have a parts list in mind now.
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 17 2013, 08:41 AM) *

you really need a front cooler to improve efficiency on the track

I know Chris at Tangerine and others have wonderful rear cooler systems that work... I'm not taking anything away from them

but frontal air is going to be more efficient
and I have always found front coolers to be more effective
(I did put a rear cooler into one car, and was never pleased with it's results)

regarding the accusump... I assume you have a shut off valve?
you have to contain the oil into the sump for shut off
without the valve the over-full condition blows valve cover gaskets
possibly the source of your oil pooling too.

brant

I've had Accusump on both my 2.0 and my 2.4 type 4 motors. I can't prove they lengthen engine life, but I've never had a failure due to oiling issues. With the money you put into a motor, it's not a difficult to understand ROI to have a bit of insurance.
Jetsetsurfshop
Still working on getting the oil to cool down. Worried about Summer track days!!
These pics are how I mounted the cooler up.
I want it to stay in the rear because of my fuel cell (its tight up there).
Thinking about the hole saw to get some air out.
Im up for advise before I cut more of my car up.
smile.gif
Seabird
I like the installation, why not just add a fan to push air through it?
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Seabird @ Dec 22 2013, 10:29 AM) *

I like the installation, why not just add a fan to push air through it?

Check out the first picture. Its kinda "wedged" in there. I own a pull-thru fan that I haven't installed yet. Not surf if a fan will solve my problems? Probably wouldn't hurt though
Seabird
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 22 2013, 11:03AM)

Check out the first picture. Its kinda "wedged" in there. I own a pull-thru fan that I haven't installed yet. Not surf if a fan will solve my problems? Probably wouldn't hurt though

It's easier for air to flow around than through, so it does. Some air will flow through but it's not like a radiator at the front of the car. The fan will do the work of drawing it through. Air flow is the key to cooling. As an added benefit it works when your not moving so it keeps cooling while your waiting to get on the track and while your idling back to the pits.

Worth a try, easy to install. There is a thermostat switch/install kit that Advance sells that lets you adjust when it comes on. I use one on my e30 and on the GTV. Niether have issues with over heating. The e30 has a m30 engine out of a 535 and most folks say it's hard to keep them cool in the smaller engine bay of the e30 (and that's my track toy).
brant
I think the fan will help too

although some say at speed the fan becomes intrusive and a partial blockage to full frontal air (if you have full frontal air)

I would build a scoop on that to pull in clean air from under the car. That would add some aero drag but the trade off being enough air flow to cool better

no matter what you need to add some screen to that cooler to protect it from rocks and garbage

Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 22 2013, 11:50 AM) *

I think the fan will help too

although some say at speed the fan becomes intrusive and a partial blockage to full frontal air (if you have full frontal air)

I would build a scoop on that to pull in clean air from under the car. That would add some aero drag but the trade off being enough air flow to cool better

no matter what you need to add some screen to that cooler to protect it from rocks and garbage

Oil being cool is priority number 1. Want to Chump it for 14 hours blink.gif A little aero drag is ok.

I planned on doing a protective screen and forgot. I looked for rubber up there and there was none. Still need a screen though. agree.gif

Fan will be on soon too
ChrisFoley
I disagree about adding the fan, unless it moves air at 100mph or better.
It would be better to mount the cooler a little more vertical and make the box on the front at least 4" deep to increase the head pressure.
Jetsetsurfshop
Duct work
Jetsetsurfshop
Tubing
Jetsetsurfshop
To the cooler. There is also a air duct on the lower passenger side of the car.
If this doesn't get it done, front cooler, here I come. smile.gif
ChrisFoley
What does the inlet side of the cooler look like?
Jetsetsurfshop
Here you go Chris. Screens are not installed yet in pic, on there now.
ChrisFoley
I meant where the ducts end at the face of the cooler...
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 27 2014, 08:39 AM) *

I meant where the ducts end at the face of the cooler...

Sorry, got it right this time. huh.gif
brant
nice work....

I built something similar for my tranny
I just couldn't get enough clean air at the edge of the firewall (where yours is)

I ended up moving my intake scoop to the passenger side window and taking the duct work down through the engine lid and into the rear trunk

dropped my trans temp another 15 -20 degree's when I moved my scoop
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(brant @ May 27 2014, 09:05 AM) *

nice work....

I built something similar for my tranny
I just couldn't get enough clean air at the edge of the firewall (where yours is)

I ended up moving my intake scoop to the passenger side window and taking the duct work down through the engine lid and into the rear trunk

dropped my trans temp another 15 -20 degree's when I moved my scoop

I borrowed your idea here. I never noticed an update on your thread about it working or not working. Mine doesn't have that elbow that your does. I don't know if that will make any difference or not. I'll find out at Sebring in June. It will be hot!!
Shane
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.