Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting to collect parts for engine build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
Looking to start sourcing parts to build up a core carb'd 2.0 for my '72.
Nothing dramatic, just something reliable with good mileage for my ~300 mile per week commute.
Noticed Raby no longer offers engine kits, and wants $350 just to recommend a cam.

The core engine mic'd out pretty good, so the plan is all new bearings, rings, cam kit, assemble and vroom vroom.

Any recommendations on cams and suppliers?
Jake Raby
I have sold The Type 4 Store inventory, website and engine kit plans to LN Engineering. Charles plans to bring back the kits and to list more parts.

We needed the space that the store was taking up here to add more engine building areas, and Charles just moved into a new (huge) facility and had the extra space.

So I let him have the headaches and now our ONLY focus is engine development, building and testing. No more parts sales for us. I believe that LN Will take the store to a level that I never would have, because selling parts just isn't what I have fun doing.

The inventory will be at LN by mid January :-)
Chris H.
Really? That's cool. Charles is such a great guy and a true VW/Porsche enthusiast. Sounds like a very good fit! Wonder if he still has all those 411's and 412's he was collecting...trying to get one of each body style IIRC. I'd do that too if I had the space biggrin.gif .

Sorry for the hijack!
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 17 2013, 10:33 AM) *

Really? That's cool. Charles is such a great guy and a true VW/Porsche enthusiast. Sounds like a very good fit! Wonder if he still has all those 411's and 412's he was collecting...trying to get one of each body style IIRC. I'd do that too if I had the space biggrin.gif .

Sorry for the hijack!

Yep, still has them all.

After 10 years of selling parts, I don't care if I ever sell a part again!
Bulldog9
European Motorworks
Type IV
CB Performance
Automotion
Pelican
smveril
Webcam[i]
CG-914
Here are two lists I found from when I rebuild my engine for gaskets and Flywheel cheapest places for best parts

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gothspeed
I'll second EMW and Web camshafts. Web cam # 73 should be good for a general upgrade from stock. Not a wild cam but is a nice bump up and should even work with stock valve springs. It should be good for commuting and MPG too. smile.gif
Try looking at web cam's clearance page, they usually have good deals there. Also their cam gear, lifter, spring and retainer sets are great quality. smile.gif
carr914
EBS
krazykonrad
I've had very good luck with

Pelican parts www.pelicanparts.com

Parts Heaven www.partsheaven.com

Hennessy Porsche hennessy.porschedealer.com/parts/ (Porsche North America's parts warehouse is in Atlanta, as is Hennessy. It helps to have the correct part number before ordering).

The entire 914 parts catalog with diagrams can be downloaded for free from Porsche. http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

Good luck!

Konrad
BK911
Thanks guys, the search begins!

Jake, really wanted to use your stuff. Kinda give back a little for all the r&d youve done for the 914 community. But guess it just wasnt meant to be. Good luck with your new path.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.