Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pilot bearing woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Knox
Many years back I bought the Kennedy Engineering flywheel to mate my 74 901 side-shifter to the 87 3.2 engine for my conversion.

Now with my newly rebuilt (Thanks to Dr. Evil & the No. Cal Tranny Clinic) transmission, I'm getting things put back together.

I want to install a new pilot bearing in the flywheel, and Kennedy says a 96-06 VW GTI bearing is what they use and recommend. So I went to FLAPS and got one. It is too big.

Can anyone tell me what pilot bearing to use?

Thanks for any and all help!!

Mike
Mike Bellis
On my V8 conversion, they use a VW Bus pilot bearing. Get a mic and measure the hole in the flywheel. Match it up to something. You will be amazed how many vehicles have the same size main shaft tip in the tranny.
Mark Henry
Is it a Kennedy Engineering flywheel or a Porsche flywheel with a Kennedy Engineering adapter ring and their pressure plate?

Late 3.0 and 930 engines use a holder that fits a standard pilot bearing that has been used in VW type 1 and 4's for years.

Show me pictures of what you have.
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.