Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smooth seat inserts 1970 914-4 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
PancakePorsche
I have a 1970 914-4 that has smooth vinyl door panels AND pleated, smooth vinyl seat inserts. I see no reference to these in any restoration books claiming all vinyl cars had basket weave seat inserts. Was this a normal and/or available feature ?

I also have a 1970 914-6 that has smooth door panels, but has basket weave seat inserts that have been re-done by a previous owner. Was this the norm for 6 cars ?
mepstein
Early cars were smooth. 4's & 6's. Maybe?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Dec 18 2013, 03:41 AM) *

I have a 1970 914-4 that has smooth vinyl door panels AND pleated, smooth vinyl seat inserts. I see no reference to these in any restoration books claiming all vinyl cars had basket weave seat inserts. Was this a normal and/or available feature ?

I also have a 1970 914-6 that has smooth door panels, but has basket weave seat inserts that have been re-done by a previous owner. Was this the norm for 6 cars ?

Smooth seat inserts for the 914-4 were a MY '71 only as I recall.

The MY 70 914-6 had smooth (not basket weave) door panels, and basket weaver seat inserts.

(not talking leather material option)
1970 Neun vierzehn
My '70/4....as built January 1970....smooth door panels, basket weave seats....
Tom_T
Look at Jeff Bowlsby's classic 914 website (member vendor here also) where he has pix of the order option sheets & interior sample sets for most MYs & see if yours was possibly correct, an option by the original owner (see your window sticker &/or COA), or a possible change-out or reupholstery.

My buddy's 71 -4 had smooth seats & doors, & IIRC Pat Garvey's 72 had "perforated" seats.

Could yours be a 71 MY built in late 70?? 8/70-12/70 was 1st half of 71 MY
PancakePorsche
Thanks for the reply guys. As of now, the jury is out on the 914-4 but I will keep it with smooth seat inserts since I like the look. I can pretty much assume the 6 car was originally basket weave inserts so I will restore it that way.

Merry Christmas all.
Pat Garvey
Once again, this just proves that it was "anything goes' with these cars
SKL1
Even during model things change a lot. My early 1971, built in 9-70 has houndstooth cloth seat inserts, but my dad got a model year 1971 later in the year and his vinyl on the door panels etc and other various details were totally different than mine.
I was always fascinated that though before I started modding mine, they felt and drove differently considering they were "the same."
johnc
1971model year, 11/70 build date, factory smooth seats and matching door panels, note the large scale texture in the vinyl... Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Dec 18 2013, 02:41 AM) *

You would have to check the COA, the standard insert was basketweave but you could upgrade to smooth leatherette, corduroy or hounds tooth. you could even upgrade to real leather. Colors available were Black, Brown and Beige.

the 1970 leatherette was a finer grain than 1971
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.