Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - What brand Miter Saw
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteveL
I'm picking up a new 12" power miter saw this weekend. There are 3 that are pretty close in price: Delta, Ryobi, and Bosch (about $20 more). What do people recommend? Any experiences with any of them?

TIA

Steve
spare time toys
I have a Mikita one of the best things I ever got for working on the house IPB Image
jd74914
Get a DeWalt. I've had mine for 4 years and I just built a huge garage with it, its bulletproof.

I had a mikita miter before the DeWalt. I stopped using it because a small piece of wood got caught in the guard and the guard flew off about 25 feet into the air (I was on a roof).
Scared me so bad, the I put it back on and it happened again. IPB Image But, that was 5 years ago, so the design flaw has been fixed I'm sure IPB Image

On topic, I've never used anything of those brands (actually I have a delta table saw that works great and its 20+ years old) but from what I've heard Delta is the best. IPB Image

Pick one and if its not that great regard it as a learning experience IPB Image

Good luck. Jim
J P Stein
Compound Hitachi works for me.
The blade is the key for fine work. A 12 inch, 80ish tooth
carbide is the best I've found.....not cheep.
Rhodes71/914
My 12" DeWalt compound is the best power tool I have purchased in the last 5 years. Don't know how I built anything before I got it. To think I tried to tell myself I didn't really need it.

Sorry no help on the other brands, Dewalt has always worked great for me.

Sean
Bleyseng
Sorry, I HATE DeWalt tools as they fall apart so fast. Why do you need a 12" saw???
I prefer the smaller saws and especially the 8" Hitachi compound slide saw. Blade speed is important too for clean cuts. Those giant 12" saws are hard to use IMHO and keep in alignment....

Geoff
tdgray
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Dec 30 2004, 12:24 PM)
Sorry, I HATE DeWalt tools as they fall apart so fast. Why do you need a 12" saw???
I prefer the smaller saws and especially the 8" Hitachi compound slide saw. Blade speed is important too for clean cuts. Those giant 12" saws are hard to use IMHO and keep in alignment....

Geoff

IPB Image Unless you cut alot of crown molding. I have a 12" (at least thats what I told her IPB Image ) but the only reason I purchased it was that I was restoring a 135 year old house with ass-loads of crown molding.
Stephane
I had good luck with Delta's. I hope your getting one that does compound cuts.

Stephane
rezron
I have a bosch, a makita, and a dewalt. I like my dewalt
the best. Just my 2 cents.

rezron
jimtab
Hitachi is the best, they invented the things. After that it's Makita, then DeWalt(Black and Decker...don't forget), and then Ryobi. I buy and sell hardware for a living all are ok but buy the best you can afford, going cheap on tools just doesn't work out...my.02.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.