Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my search for a 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
2mAn
Some of you may have seen the few threads Ive been posting about picking up the 74 roller from Noel (ndfrigi). We've come to an agreement and tomorrow I will be making it official!

Here are some pics I took when I went and saw the car a few weeks ago. He purchased it and removed the interior and some other parts. I will be getting it as a rolling chassis, which is exactly what I was looking for.

This is where it currently sits. The other 914 in the background is his.
IPB Image

These pics show all the bad stuff. I believe the car sat for a while outside, but since this is SoCal, it shouldnt be too much work to fix the rust.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I plan on adding some GT style front fenders to match the rears, not sure about metal or fiberglass yet. We'll see...

These are the best pics I could get of the battery tray and hell hole, overall it doesnt look too intimidating, but we'll see how bad it is once the engine is out of the way

IPB Image

IPB Image

Heres the pics of the longs, couldnt get a better pic of the pass side since there was another car right next to it

IPB Image

IPB Image

and this is the rest of the bad stuff...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

and heres the pic of the "interior"
IPB Image

IPB Image
2mAn
So the current plan is as follows:
-fix the rust on the longs
-see what the hell hole looks like
-strip away tar on the interior floor and POR15 the rust
-knock out the rear dent and fix trunk rust
-convert to 5x130
-GT flares up front to match the rear flares
-all new rubber seals

Body will probably be primer white, engine will be a carb'd 1625cc watercooled VW engine that I've always wanted to build. Eventually it will get more, but thats the initial plan. Once you guys get to know me, you will see that my plan will change A LOT! haha
billh1963
QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 18 2013, 04:07 PM) *

......, but since this is SoCal, it shouldnt be too much work to fix the rust.

Good luck with that.... dry.gif

Congratulations on the car. I hope you like to weld! lol-2.gif

On a 914 rust is ALWAYS worse than it appears
wndsnd
Ooooooo...Deja Vu

Those fenders rot inside out and will not be easy.

But they are doable, everything is.....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I had to fab, doing it again I would do my best to find transplants!

welcome.png

John
billh1963
Longs are toast. Judging by the scale on the floorboards by the firewall I bet the firewall is ate up with rust. Font fenders and cowl are obvious. Hell hole is most likely rusty. Rear trunk has an obvious hole...more than likely will need a new pan. Rear trunk lid is shot. Hard to tell but looks like bubbling on the sail panels?

How is the front trunk?
2mAn
wow, this is disappointing. in his thread most people said it wasnt bad, now that its mine you're saying its toast sad.gif

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 18 2013, 01:53 PM) *
wow, this is disappointing. in his thread most people said it wasnt bad, now that its mine you're saying its toast sad.gif

Naaaa, it's not toast. It's rusty but not terminal as far as i can see.
All the parts you need are available from RD and if you're handy with a welder, this can be done.
welder.gif

Don't listen to them guys ...
rolleyes.gif
jimkelly
once you cut out the rust, you will know better.

maybe the rust is isolated to the area closest to the jack points, if so, you'll be golden.

once you can see all typical rusty areas better, let us know how your rust compares to the rust areas in pics attached.

maybe you have a good budget but I would stick with 4x130 and go back to narrow on the rear.

what is your budget?
I assume you are good with a welder?

may be near you?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111018

jim
Rand
Holy cow. The step "-see what the hell hole looks like" should be taken before making a deal. I hope you got this heap super cheap and love metal fabrication, because you have a butt load of work to do.

I'm not raining on your parade - I would take on a project like this. I just hope you didn't pay much up front and you can dump a lot of money and work into it.

beerchug.gif
wndsnd
I did not mean to come off negative. Just humored by the comment that the rust would be easy to fix as it was a California car. Rust is rust. They all have it and it can all be fixed. Same effort though no matter where you are.

Don't be discouraged. Make it safe and drive the crap out of it. Nobody said I made a good decision when I bought my car which spent it's life on the salted roads of Maine. Now it is a head turner. Yours will be too.

John
billh1963
Sorry to come across so hard.

The reality is that your car will be a major project. It's better to have a clear view of what you are getting into. If you can do most of the bodywork yourself you will be much further ahead.

Mechanical work is cheap....bodywork is where the money will be spent.

Check out the thread on my green car detailing the work scotty b performed.

You should always start out with the best car you can.
76-914
That's just rust. Easily cut out. Now, let's get on to the important matters here. Could you get us a close up of your avatar? biggrin.gif
2mAn
I knew this wasnt going to be a walk in the park, but as I plan on installing complete fiberglass front fenders I wasnt planning on dealing with the rust on the front fenders. I knew the longs and the hell hole would need work, but they all do, right?

As far as how much I got it for, lets just say the front fenders will cost more than the car.

If you are sneaky you can find some more pics in my photobucket, nothing is locked wink.gif
914outlaw
Don't be discouraged by negative talk. That rust is a fraction of what has been restored on this site. One section at a time you could fix it up. Good luck and
welcome.png
trojanhorsepower
I would avoid the POR 15 if it were me. I am sure that it is good stuff if you prep carefully first, but I have a bunch on my car and am not impressed. The PO of my car just applied it over the rust and everything just kept of rusting underneath it. I have used the Ospho and it seems pretty good. I don't now that Ospho is particularly special, just an acid based rust converter.
Old Yella
I bought my first 914 from "Honest Rob" and then found all the hidden faults.

If there isn't any thing to do to the car, what's the point in the build. If you are going water cooled you probably wont need the battery tray and support or the engine trays, That's a big saving. Straight sheet metal isn't that hard to repair but the restoration design parts save a huge amount of time and stress as they are very nicely made and fit well.

Post pics of the shell so we can all see the extent of the corrosion and maybe give you some positive advice.

Forgot to add, Fixing the hell hole is you right of passage into the 914 world.

Attached is my experience. If I did it again I would do some things differently but I still enjoyed the process if not the cost burden. If you would like some positive encouragement drop me a line.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...s-914-club.html

Cheers and Good luck
2mAn
there will be more pics soon when Noel and I yank the engine/ trans out
Porsche930dude
i always wondered what 914 would look like with just the rear flares. I like it
PanelBilly
Strip the car all the way down and give it to a sand blasting shop. Ok use walnuts and it better. When you get the car back, see how much of it is still solid. Then start patching.
Rand
QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 18 2013, 04:26 PM) *

I knew this wasnt going to be a walk in the park, but as I plan on installing complete fiberglass front fenders I wasnt planning on dealing with the rust on the front fenders. I knew the longs and the hell hole would need work, but they all do, right?

As far as how much I got it for, lets just say the front fenders will cost more than the car.

If you are sneaky you can find some more pics in my photobucket, nothing is locked wink.gif

My concern is that you understand how to repair the structural parts. Fiberglass fenders will not fix what I'm worried about. Again, please don't mistake my words as negative or naysaying, but rather to please be aware of where your car is structurally weak and needs serious metal work.

The first concern is the hell hole...... The area under the battery tray and forward as it has eaten into the very important structural part of your car that you haven't yet discovered how severe it really is.

Please dig into this before starting the work on fenders.

Olympic 914
This one looks more like an East coast car than a SoCal car....

Did it ever live in Pennsylvania?
ndfrigi
Yes Simon, I believed most of the comments/suggestions of our 914world members here about getting a car with rust issues. I showed you the car to make your decisions two weeks ago after looking at the car and make your research about the works needed for the car. Like what I did with the 72 tub I sold 2 weeks ago, the buyer (who is a nice guy also) found same issue on his current tub and asked me if he can just return it. So what we did is I tried looking for different buyer so the new buyer can just tow the tub from my 1st buyer so he does not need to spend another dollar towing it back. So just after a week I was able to find new buyer and able to tow it from my 1st buyer. What I am saying is, I just wanted to make sure my buyer is satisfied and know what he is getting to avoid frustrations/dissapointment after getting something.

Just do some research and give me your decision. Any decisions you make buy it or not, is acceptable for me.

God Bless!
oldschool
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 18 2013, 03:19 PM) *

That's just rust. Easily cut out. Now, let's get on to the important matters here. Could you get us a close up of your avatar? biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif Kent you crack me up dude. av-943.gif
2mAn
As you can see by his response, Noel is a good guy. I am going again to see the car this saturday. Im bringing a screwdriver with me to poke those longs and see just how bad they are. He also told me via text he would try to get the ECU out of the way so we can get a better look at the hell hole. *fingers crossed*
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 19 2013, 11:23 AM) *

agree.gif

How about a better pic of your avatar?
mepstein
You might be getting it cheap but that will turn out to be a VERY expensive car. Just the replacement panels from restoration design will cost you a few thousand. welding, supplies, materials, ect. Big bucks.
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 19 2013, 08:44 PM) *

You might be getting it cheap but that will turn out to be a VERY expensive car. Just the replacement panels from restoration design will cost you a few thousand. welding, supplies, materials, ect. Big bucks.

Don't throw facts into the equation....no one wants to hear them lol-2.gif
gothspeed
Congratulations on getting a 914 ..... they are a lot of work but if you have the time and a place to work, you should be very happy with the result ..... some rust areas may not need a full replacement piece, some areas can be repaired with 18g metal sheet, welded and feathered in ..... good luck with the project .... smile.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 19 2013, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 19 2013, 11:23 AM) *

agree.gif

How about a better pic of your avatar?

IPB Image
2mAn
IPB Image

I've got a better one for you dirty old men

Admin Edit: Sandbox image removed ...
ndfrigi
Update:

I removed the ECU attached to the battery tray to be able to see the hell hole.
Unclogged the dirt stock on the drain hole with dirt and flow a hose of water to drain all debris in this mini pool (hehehe).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
2mAn
QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 19 2013, 08:55 PM) *

av-943.gif

Thanks for the new pics Noel, Lets see what people think. I'll call you tomorrow morning!
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment

passenger side

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Hey! See, there you go, that's good news! The other stuff is a piece of cake compared to the hell hole. May consider redoing the very top portion of the hell hole anyway, depending on how pitted it is.

Also, check out the suspension consoles for signs of rust in and around the ear.
ndfrigi
passenger side

Click to view attachment

driver side

Click to view attachment
smveril
My 73 had the typical jack point rut. Repair was tipping the car 45 degrees to weld the back of the jack points.

I agree on the hell hole. Grind or blast to get a better idea of the needed repairs.
914_teener
QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 20 2013, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 19 2013, 08:55 PM) *

av-943.gif

Thanks for the new pics Noel, Lets see what people think. I'll call you tomorrow morning!

I like what DD does sometimes:

>> Soapbox>>

I would think it is important to do what you think.

I'm glad for you, and it's encouraging to know that younger people.....and I'm assuming you are younger than I, are wanting a project. There is a lot to learn here.

I'm not you, and don't know you, so I wouldn't know what to tell you.

But I know how to weld, I know how to fabricate my own parts, and do. I studied and learned the injection system in the car and it has been a fabulous learning opportunity for me and continues to be. I'm a gear head, and reformed engineer....(inside joke). I have talked to many people on this site and they have helped me and are good and smart folks, ( and dirty old men sometimes).

I don't mean to sound patronizing...but I will be... but there is a lesson or an opportunity for you to learn something here.

Look, Learn, Listen....but by all means, be smart....learn from others.

>>Off Soapbox>>

welcome.png or not.

rhodyguy
where ever a car is from, crap collecting around the jack post is going to screw things up. how big of a pile gunk was behind the rocker cover?
wndsnd
I'm too old for this.

I understand the rust pictures.

Still looks like a lot of welding - Poke that hell hole good and see what happens.

but,

what does it mean (on the boob?) confused24.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 20 2013, 03:21 PM) *

I'm too old for this.

Still looks like a lot of welding - Poke that hell hole good and see what happens.

but,

....who the hell cares!
mepstein
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 20 2013, 05:39 PM) *

Hey! See, there you go, that's good news! The other stuff is a piece of cake compared to the hell hole. May consider redoing the very top portion of the hell hole anyway, depending on how pitted it is.

Also, check out the suspension consoles for signs of rust in and around the ear.

And the;
targa sills,
passenger bulkhead,
behind the bumpers,
floor pans
pedal area,
under gas tank,
bottom of wheel openings,
front trunk pull handle,
back of rear trunk,
driver side hell hole,
engine bar mounts.

2mAn
Looking at RDs page and I know at least I will need the "Jack Receiver Plate" for both sides, should I also consider the "Jack Receiver Tube?"

wndsnd
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 20 2013, 06:31 PM) *

I'm too old for this.

but,

....who the hell cares!

I will have to study this some more.....
2mAn

My last name is Tuman, Ive written it as 2mAn on forums and I write it a certain way and thats the best version of it written on a boob. That was a fun night drunk.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 20 2013, 06:47 PM) *

My last name is Tuman, Ive written it as 2mAn on forums and I write it a certain way and thats the best version of it written on a boob. That was a fun night drunk.gif

It's not your wife or daughter?
2mAn
I have neither! She was a foreign exchange from the UK. Still keep in touch with her cool.gif
wndsnd
Ok , I will study it some more.

Good work.

76-914
We're not Dirty ol' Men. We're Oversexed Seniors. Did you happen to get her email address? And which OC are you? CA, NY, FL? If your in CA that's a parts car. FL, Hmmm. NY, you got yourself a find.
2mAn
Im in SoCal... I will know for sure tomorrow, but I'm leaning towards passing on this one
914_teener
QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 20 2013, 04:49 PM) *

Im in SoCal... I will know for sure tomorrow, but I'm leaning towards passing on this one

Kent, it is fairly obvious that you are not interested in the tub....er that is the 914 chassis.

Are you going to pass on the girl or the car?

So......how is it that she let you sign there? Inquiring minds like to know.

Remember.................................learn from others?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.