Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Basket Weave Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
02jake
When we got this 6 it had a smooth covering on the center dash which looks to be original. I have not seen this in any pics. Was this available? I know there are 2 types of basket weave.

thanks Jake

IPB Image

IPB Image
Tom_T
I thnk that's just the backing plate, and the basketweave material is laid/glued over that piece.

The material is available from several of the usual sources.
02jake
It doesn,t look like there is any evidence of glue anywhere on the face of the covering. I also looked at the glove box cover and again it looks like it has never been tampered with. Paul has another 914/6, and it has the basket weave but nothing like this under the basket weave.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Pat Garvey
confused24.gif
PancakePorsche
It appears early 4 and 6 cars was the luck of the draw on what you got. I would not doubt it came that way.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Dec 23 2013, 02:43 AM) *

It appears early 4 and 6 cars was the luck of the draw on what you got. I would not doubt it came that way.

I would doubt it. IN 42 years of Porsche cars I've never seen a bare dash panel. The covering was removed from these pieces (for whatever reason). Any residual glue would be easy to remove. Nope, these panels need to be covered. TomT is correct.
porbmw
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 23 2013, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Dec 23 2013, 02:43 AM) *

I would doubt it. IN 42 years of Porsche cars I've never seen a bare dash panel. The covering was removed from these pieces (for whatever reason). Any residual glue would be easy to remove. Nope, these panels need to be covered. TomT is correct.

I have never seen anything like it either.
I am NOT an expert....
BUT it is really, really odd. The car likely only had 2 previous owners, the original a fellow that was in Florida and campaigned it, autocross...and then a lady who lived in Pennsylvania.
I took the car apart for repaint. The glove box etc looked like it had never been disassembled, and the vinyl that covers the outside of the glove box looks as though it has been on forever.

I do have a query....out of pure ignorance of how these cars came off the assembly line.
This 1970 is 710...signal orange
If I recall correctly, numbers 705 and 709 were taken off the assembly line ....signal orange....and made by Porsche into GTs for LeMans trainers....

Does anyone know what the dash of a trainer GT would be like..... confused24.gif confused24.gif

If they used a different material for a GT, would that perhaps carry over for a few later cars on the assembly...
porbmw

I took a further look at this while at Jake's shop. It didn't help at all, only made matters worse.

Can anyone tell me if the material(I will call it "backing" for the moment, although it doesn't look like backing) that is shown in Jake's photos resembles/is same as...the material that was on these cars, and was used as backing for the basketweave. Frankly, I don't think it is, but would love to be told I'm wrong.
'
The material appears to vinyl covered, very similar in grain (if not the same) to the vinyl that is on the top of the dash.

The material extends all the way to the steering column. Among the oddities:
a)there is a very definite fade to the material....demarkation at the place where the clamshell that attaches to the column starts. One can see a very visible darkening where the clamshell starts, once removed.

b)The material extends cleaning from left to right, only interrupted by the column....and the glove box door.

c) One can see ruler/pencil lines where someone (the dealer?) marked out to cut and install the radio

d)the material, looking at some angles, has a bit of undersurface bubbling re likely glue separation from what I would call "it" backing material

e)there is no sign of glue removal, or glue, anywhere, re prior removal of basketweave...I appreciate it is likely easy to remove, but no evidence of the usual sloppy smearing beyond the material, onto dash, etc....Question....did basket weave usually end at the column, or did it go under....that also takes me back to my question re the fading re sun/clamshell

f)the glove box shows no sign of repair, modification, etc. I doubt it had ever been out of the car

For clarity....
I am NOT trying to "make this"into a quest for a unique car. I would be much happier if I could be persuaded that the car had basketweave that was removed, cuz then I could just install the vinyl product I just bought from Mark at 914rubber, and proceed.
IF I /we leave it this way, there will be no end to critiques that it was done wrong, not correct, etc...but I am at a point where I lean pretty heavily to saying that this is the way it came from the factory....

And IF that is correct, then that is what it should be restored at.

Thanks for any help. I/we are kind of stuck/stalled at this stage....would appreciate any guidance before we make the decision

dlkawashima
Looks similar to the material that is on this dash:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...226717&st=0
Click to view attachment
porbmw
Good eye on that!

I think/fear that may have been done after factory....looks as though the material "sticks out' somewhat from the dash, and the (nonbezeled) heater/ventilation controls...and the radio...

BUT...

The car has a "for sale" sign with a phone number that I THINK I can read....so...sometime this week will try the number, see if the owner can shed light....
If so, will post...
gms
QUOTE(02jake @ Dec 18 2013, 10:50 PM) *

When we got this 6 it had a smooth covering on the center dash which looks to be original. I have not seen this in any pics. Was this available? I know there are 2 types of basket weave.

thanks Jake

Jake I believe that you might have non-original dash sheet metal covered in leather
The 916 came with smooth leather dashes but that is the only ones I have ever seen.
Can you take a picture of the area around the steering column?
02jake
Hope this is of help

IPB Image
gms
The edges do not appear to have the beveled edge, it really looks home made to me
here is a picture of a NOS set
Click to view attachment
02jake
Glen, I thought you were after the faded part of the trim . I just had another look, and the sheet metal behind is the same as the picture you posted.

I was loking threw some of the books and saw a picture of a 916 and it has the smooth covering.

In B.Johnson's book "A RESTORERS'S GUIDE TO AUTHENTICITY" page 65 bottom left picture, the golve box looks to be smooth. Based on the small handle and no side vents a six dash.

thanks Jake
porbmw
Just had a very pleasant telephone chat with John Poor (who may be "poor" when he gets the long distance phone bill which he incurred as a result of responding to my phone message.... sad.gif

Glenn is correct...the black flared GT picutred belongs to John. John received the car, with the dash "as is". That does not mean it is OEM....it has had a handful of owners prior to John...but he has some pretty good history of the car. So far, I understand that he can verify that the car has had that non-basketweave dash for at least a couple of owners and is under the impression that it may indeed have come from the factory as such.

Having said that...John also advises that he has a friend/acquaintance that has a 71 that likely is completely original (or at least correct to original) that has a dash that is basically the same as John's.....

John has indicated he will do some background work and see if he can shed any further light on my self-imposed dilemma. beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.