Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glove Box Lock Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aylanco
I decided to re-key all of my locks and cannot get to the glovebox lock. I have an aftermarket radio with the standard bracket holding it in, but I can't seem to remove the radio to get to the glove box lock.

The glove box is held in place by a metal strap that is bolted on one side and bent thru a loop on the other. The problem is that it is folded to the inside so I can't just bend it up and out of the way. I cannot get to the bolted side becaust the radio is in the way IPB Image

Any idea's/suggestions?

Thanks!
McMark
You must take out the radio. IPB Image It's the only decent way to get to that thing. It's really hidden up in there. I've also had a challenging time just getting the retaining nut unscrewed. It's not an easy battle, good luck.
aylanco
Thanx McMark....anyone know how to get a stereo out of the "modern" style bracket?? IPB Image
McMark
Depends on the stereo. What model? There's always a little "trick" to getting them out.
boxstr
If it has a detachable face, the very small allen head bolts will be behind it. At least my Blaupunkt. And as Mark said it depends on the model.
CCLINCIRCUITCITY
aylanco
Thanks Guys,

It's a Pioneer. It does have a removeable face but I don't see any allen heads or any other way of removing it with the face detached. IPB Image
Steve Thacker
Sebastian,

I think I know what you need fella. My SWAG is that you have the radio slid into a DIN bracket. A holding sleeve what you will, that has a gorilla grip. There are keys that can slide in there and pop that radio out like the cherry of a 16 year old virgin.
HEY! HEY! Pipe down! A little humor never killed anyone! IPB Image

Hope this will help. This is a similar tool

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5740191592&rd=1

You should try to go you a local professional stereo place, they typically have the generic tool you need.
jim_hoyland
I just went to my local stero store and had them slip their removal keys into the slots holding the radio in and PRESTO ! I could pull it out to work on the lock.

After I got the lock to work properly, it went back to it's old habit of hitting something. Can't see what it hits, got any ideas?
Steve Thacker
Jim,
Look and see if the wires on the heat/cool selector are grabbing the radio as you push it in. Mine did that and I had to become a contortionist, slide in on my back and move the wires as I slid the radio back in. The only thing else I could think of is the little bracket that mounts to the firewall underneath. It will probably be just behind the radio. That's a booger to try and get a 10mm bolt back in it, to fasten to the back of the radio to hold it.

I hope this is what you were refering to Jim and not that the lock is hitting something when you turn it. If so I apologize I misunderstood.
aylanco
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ Dec 31 2004, 05:14 AM)
Sebastian,

I think I know what you need fella. My SWAG is that you have the radio slid into a DIN bracket. A holding sleeve what you will, that has a gorilla grip. There are keys that can slide in there and pop that radio out like the cherry of a 16 year old virgin.
HEY! HEY! Pipe down! A little humor never killed anyone! IPB Image

Hope this will help. This is a similar tool

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5740191592&rd=1

You should try to go you a local professional stereo place, they typically have the generic tool you need.

Thanks for the suggestion...will do when the weather clears up here in the great white north. I guess I'll do the other locks now and the glove box lock in the spring IPB Image
Steve Thacker
Hang in there Sebastian. I'm feeling your pain with this cold weather. I'm in the process to install one of those hard start relays I got off of ebay. I'm also in the final stages of replacing the heater core in the Mrs 91' VW cabriolet. Let me tell ya I would rather be flogged than ever do another. Way too much work. What were they thinking when they designed the heater core / AC box? IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.