Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disappointed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
Well, the darn PO strikes again. Seems my car never had sway bars. PO had bought one for the rear and he "included" it with the car. But now I've come to find out that my car never had sway bars. Installation's gonna be a pain.

Can anybody suggest a good set of aftermarket sway bars?
Aaron Cox
my car didnt have sway bars either IPB Image no worries amigo

MOST people like a big adjustable front bar with or without a rear bar.
currently i have a Tarett 23? mm hollow bar up front. Great Quality but $$$

as for front bars there are many options
from $ to $$$

Stock Used 15mm bar ~100 bucks
Welt 19mm 200 ish
welt 22mm 200 ish
tarett 23
TRG
Smart
jim912928
My 75 didn't have front/rear sway bars either. I added factor bars to both the front and back. It was really easy.

It only took me about 1/2 a day to put the bar on the front (factory or aftermarket if you go with the through the body is the same effort).

The rears were actually easier. If you get all the parts (including the right shock bolts) everything is pretty easy after you get the mounting tabs welded to the trunk floor (note, the 75 and 76 mounting plates for the rear are different then the 74 and earlier).

There are pretty good tech articles on both the front and rear installation on the pelican tech articles site.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Dec 30 2004, 05:52 PM)

There are pretty good tech articles on both the front and rear installation on the pelican tech articles site.

IPB Image

No pain no gain! IPB Image

I did both mine front & back via the Pelican articles. No sweat Man. Even did my own welding IPB Image and I'd never used a wire feed weld before. If you enjoy workin on the teener yer gonna love doin this. It ain't hard but don't get in a hurry & make sure ya got yer favorite beverage (hopefully one that gives ya a relaxing feeling IPB Image )

Now, go out there & strike an arc IPB Image

.....b
skline
I added front and rear bars to my car since it never had them. Of course, the front suspension was from an early 911 so it had the tabs on the control arms but Engman makes the brackets you need and his prices are pretty good. In fact, I need to get a set of shims from him. I gave my last ones away thinking I wouldnt need them. Go figure. The rear bar was easy too. Engman makes the weld in brackets for that too. The shock bolts will be your hardest thing to find.
xsboost90
if im running 160lb rear springs, what size front sway do i need????anyone,,anyone?
Carlitos Way
Me no weldy!!! :shrug:

Does anybody with experience in this want to "adopt" my teener for a weekend....?
Mueller
drive up to the SF Bay Area....you can buy my factory bar and I'll help you install it IPB Image IPB Image

the bars can be installed without welding the backing plates to the vehicle, for a stock bar using rubber bushing there will be less stress on the chassis than using harder or solid bushings......I think you'd be fine and unless you auto-x or track your car every weekend with the stickest tires out, I don't think you'll have a problem....if later on down the road you want a bigger more aggressive bar, then you can have someone just add a few beads or if you went with the smartbar, not worry about it....or, you could get 2 pairs of the Engman or Tarett backing plates, and have them welded together to create your own 6 bolt backing plate similar to the smartbar*.....of course you want to make sure the surface is equal on the new plate and that would require more work....

*SmartRacing bars which are the largest/stiffest bars available for our cars bolts the mounting blocks to the chassis....granted they use 6 bolts instead of 3...
Trekkor
Smarty IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Carlos,

Rear bars are easy to install. It's the fronts that can be a pain. Get a couple of Mark Blands (Engman) rear mounting brackets and supports. Buzzz, buzzz, buzzz IPB Image

Thenk you'll need some of the factory lower shock bolts.

The front will require:

Gas tank removal
Marks front mounting plates
Holes in the tub (watch out for that wiring harness on the drivers side)
Plates welded in (watch out for that wiring harness on the drivers side)
U-tabs welded on the A-arms...

But HEY Mueller's gonna help you do all that!! IPB Image

I'm using a one year factory 930 bar (1976). It's 18mm and is said to be torsionally a bit better than most aftermarket 19mm bars (don't know if that's true). I also run 140 rear springs with a factory rear bar. Connect and disconnect as needed...

* Engman, did you get the rear plates fixed? The last set we got had the nuts welded on the wrong side... IPB Image
Engman
* Engman, did you get the rear plates fixed? The last set we got had the nuts welded on the wrong side...

Then send them back to me. I will send you new ones and pay for the shipping both ways.

M
dlo914
a guy by the SN Brant had a stock set for $75 including the shock bolts with the ball joint end and bracket. All that was need was a new set of bushings...did a search for : Rear Sway and it appears this ad is in the Recycle Bin...i was gonna save this set for myself for a later time, but since you're in the market you've got dibs. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.