Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling trany, leaving engine in car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledboy
Hey doods,

Gonna pull the trans this weekend on the 8 so it can enjoy a little leisure time with Brad Mayeur, and come back bigger, healthier and stronger. IPB Image

I'd like to yank the trans and leave the engine in. I understand that the engine needs to be supported since the trans provides the rear support. I have a few ideas, but I am curious if anybody has done this, and if so, how.

Tanks IPB Image
BIGKAT_83
If you feel right in the middle of the rear firewall engine side there is a hole. I cut this hole all of the way thru and welded in a tube,then made a L shaped braket that mounts on the back of my SBC engine on the top bell housing bolt hole. When removing the transaxle you mount the L shaped bracket and then lower the engine a small amount and you can remove the transaxle.

Bob
BIGKAT_83
Or you could also use a few tiedown straps to hold it in.

Bob
restore2seater
Hey Chris,

When are you going to be at Brads? I was looking at a car he had there last week.
He also had someones car from Chicago that had a turbo in it. What all are you going to have done?
Mueller
did that a few years ago....of course the car used the red dawg engine mount cradle so removing the transmission was a piece of cake...even with the regular conversion mounts, it should be no problem, just make sure you support the motor from underneath
Sammy
i did it, piece of cake.
I left the engine mounts in place put a jack under the back of the engine.
i unbolted the tranny from the engine and then unbolted the rear tranny mounts being careful to support everything.
Then i bench pressed the tranny and rested it on my chest, then rolled it over on the ground next to me. I had it out, replaced the main seal, and re-installed and had it running in an hour and a half.
aircooledboy
As always: YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!! IPB Image

Bob, I may look at the bracket idea later, but the ties downs look like the way to go for this time. Being a mostly lazy bastard, that is exactly what I was thinking about anyway. Your picture answers my main question, which was what to secure them to. Looks like targa clamp holes be da answer.

Pat, I am going down January 15th to take my daughter to a trampoline meet in Peoria, so I will be killing 2 birds with one stone. Going to get a taller 5th, and anything else Brad thinks needs doing while he's in there.

Thanks again boys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.