Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine tin paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
krazykonrad
I'm considering respraying my engine tin while my engine's out of the car. Is there an "official" concours-correct paint or will any semi gloss black paint do? I figure if I'm going to do it, I should do it right.

Thanks,
Konrad
tod914
The Wurth Satin Trim paint is the closest I found to the factory paint. I'm sure there are others. It's slightly glossier than the factory black, but has the correct color tone. The Wurth and factory paint are not a pure black like the high temp VHT paints.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Dec 20 2013, 12:45 PM) *

I'm considering respraying my engine tin while my engine's out of the car. Is there an "official" concours-correct paint or will any semi gloss black paint do? I figure if I'm going to do it, I should do it right.

Thanks,
Konrad

I've used the Wurth satin black for other applications through the years, and it is good. When I redid my tins in '79 I stripped them to bare & used Rustoleum primer & stain black paint. They were gorgeous. But, through the years I polished them & they have become too glossy (though they look great). So, I'd recommend, whatever you use, never "polish" them. Wax only.
Just be certain that you strip the parts to bare metal, use prep solve and a clean environment to paint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.