of oxygen to the cornea. as a result, they grow to supply blood to your eye,
over time this can blind you. i went in for a simple prk to correct my
vision and remove a scratch that has not healed (prk is when they use a
laser to effectively scrap the surface of your eye ...like a sander to re
shape it ) unfortunately the laser somehow pierced my eye and effectively
burst it(picture a pin and a balloon) so to repair it they removed the lense
from inside my eye, put in a replacement and stitched a plastic lense on top
of it to support the eye. this of course blinds you. in my case they did the
right eye first and the left eye second...that was the one with the problem.
so i can hardly see. i can't go outside as the light hurts and the freaking. I am told by my dr that i will recover to better han 20/20, in time.....
so before you start wearing contacts, or get surgery. think about my experience
F4i
Holy crap that sucks. I hope it works out for you. You will be like the bionic man when it's alll done.
F4i
Is what happened during the surgery a rare occurance?
nickg
QUOTE (F4i @ Dec 30 2004, 10:58 AM)
Is what happened during the surgery a rare occurance?

it must be...i think that the scratch in my eye was alot worse than they thought. my eyes were too thin for lasik (and that would not cleared the scratch anyway) anyway, i have a great dr who thinks it will work out....let me tell you though, you have no idea what pain is till you have something happen to your eyes.......if i go to hershey, you won't miss me...i have an eye patch still
oh! yess it happened during the surgery, at the end when the wipped my ey with the alcohol cleaner...it let go....it was weird, i did not feel anything really but it squirted stuff like a fountain(from what hey tell me) it may have been that the laser went fine but the solution the use to soften the tissue was too strong for my eye and made it too weak.
Mueller
damn...sorry to hear that...I have a co-worker that is schedualed to have the laser deal done next week (@ $4K, I think I'd stick to glasses) ... eye sight is nothing to play around with
rhodyguy
i've worn glasses since the 4th grade. tried contacts and could never adjust to them. your experience is one more reason i will probably be giving pearl vision business til the day i die.
lapuwali
I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old. Tried contacts, and just hated poking myself in the eye twice a day. Extended wear jobs just never worked for me. Slipping glasses on my face every day is just automatic now, mumble years later.

My wife got laser surgery several years ago, but I just can't do it. Not only is it very expensive, but the consequences of a mistake are just too much to consider. Also, she found that while the surgery helps distance vision greatly, it hinders close up detail vision. Without my glasses, I can actually see better up close than she can now. This is, I'm told, pretty common with this kind of therapy.

All the best, and I hope you recover fully.
Eric_Shea
unfortunately the laser somehow pierced my eye and effectively
burst it(picture a pin and a balloon) so to repair it they removed the lense
from inside my eye, put in a replacement and stitched a plastic lense on top
of it to support the eye. this of course blinds you.
IPB Image

That does things to me just reading about it. Hope it's a quick recovery.
Joe Bob
Well I had it done.....worn glasses since age 6. Contacts since 12, had the same vein creep and was starting to not tolerate contacts after 45 years of wearing them.

Surgery went well, then my old eyes decided to become far sighted.....couldn't read without reading glasses....age and this stoopid box prolly contributed......

Went in and had one adjusted for up close and the other left at 20/20 for distance. Threading a needle is a bitch but everything else is cool.

Sorry to hear about yer screw upped surgery....my only post symptom is drier than before eyes that occasionally need drops.
Rhodes71/914
Sucks about your surgery, at least you'll get your vision back.

I've been trying to figure out what my next move is.

Wore glasses starting at about 10 got contacts at 13 moved to extended wear disposable at 25 now they don't even make a disposable that will correct my right eye completely. Got gas permeable hard lenses last year and they corrected my vision great bu are totaly different than the disposables. I can ski, swim, bike or anything of the such without worrying about losing one.

Can't do lasik for the same reason as nickg, prolly be back to glasses at some point, then I get to listen to my wife give me a hard time about my coke bottle glasses.

Hey at least I'm alive and healthy and have a 914 in the garage to work on.
jim912928
Wow..that really sucks. I've worn glasses and contact lenses since high school. I've wanted to do the lasik thing but I chicken out knowing that my eyes are a one-shot-deal....spooks me every time.

Hope you get to the 20/20 quick!
d7n7master
I had to wear glasses to pass my drivers test @ age 16. For 33 years I either used contacts or glasses to see, drive, sports, tv, etc.
Had lasik last May - Ohhh Myyy Lord - even my tennis game has improved - plus, when I wake up in the morning, I can see what time it is...
This is the best present my wife has ever given me - with the lights on.
smile.gif
skline
I had my wife's done about 5 years ago. One of my clients does it and they stay on top of the technology. They are about 3k for both eyes I think. I never had to wear glasses till I hit 40. They just go downhill after that. I wont do it but I know a lot of people that have.
Brando
At the rate of stem-cell research in Europe and China... Maybe I should just wait until they can grow me a set of donor eyes (chosen colors!!!) to install with 20/20 vision biggrin.gif

I have wanted lasik since I was in highschool. My vision progressively deteriorated through highschool but stabalized the last 5 years with gas-permeable contacts. Now I'm back to soft and I think i'll keep these for another couple years... maybe get laser surgery or false lenses grafted into my eyes at 35 or 40 when they can just clean out the cataracts too. Bad vision runs in my family so I know it's going to get a lot worse before it's better.

BTW, those of you who have had surgery (lense replacement, lasik) what does it feel like? Cutting away the surface of your eye cut back and blasted with a laser? does it burn? what happens if you move your eye around? details details.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.