Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Erben914
Hello world,
I have just begun a full (non stock) restoration on my 74 2.0. It has carbs and an aftermarket fuel pump that are working great. The pump was located down low in the front trunk like many I have seen. Is there a good reason most people mount the pump in the trunk? Does it work better closer to the source?
I'm thinking of moving it into the engine bay. Am I crazy? It's not broke so maybe that's a good reason to leave it there when I reassemble.
Thanks for any advice or opinions. popcorn[1].gif
Johny Blackstain
74's are notorious for vapor lock & had the fuel pump originally located in the engine compartment. The pump runs much cooler up front & is the logical place to move it; why the factory did so in later models.
Erben914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Dec 20 2013, 06:06 PM) *

74's are notorious for vapor lock & had the fuel pump originally located in the engine compartment. The pump runs much cooler up front & is the logical place to move it; why the factory did so in later models.

Ah. Up front it is.
Thanks
rick 918-S
I like the late model location. Very sensible upgrade. No exposed pumps to bump when you put stuff in the trunk. Doesn't look like the first time you ever worked on a car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
larryM
officially - what is the color, year & code of the car in those pics ?

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 20 2013, 10:25 PM) *

I like the late model location. Very sensible upgrade. No exposed pumps to bump when you put stuff in the trunk. Doesn't look like the first time you ever worked on a car.

flash914
pumps like to push not suck. Gordon
rick 918-S
QUOTE(larryM @ Dec 21 2013, 09:47 PM) *

officially - what is the color, year & code of the car in those pics ?

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 20 2013, 10:25 PM) *

The car is a 1973 2.0 L65K Ravenna

This is 7 of 9 drooley.gif

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Best location is right where Rick posted. See if you can find the bits out of a late model donor.
Erben914
I was able to acquire a stock fuel pump mounting plate like rick shows in the post above. Thanks 914forme. piratenanner.gif
Does anyone want to show me how they have fastened the pump to the inside of the plate. I'm sure I could figure something out but why re invent the wheel.
I want to dampen the vibration yeah?
Thanks in advance.
r_towle
There are two holes in the cover???
The stock pump is mounted to the cover.

Rubber stand offs to eliminate vibration.
911 has some brackets that bolt to the rubber stand offs and accept a band clamp....so look up those parts.

What fuel pump are you using for the carbs?
Erben914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 4 2014, 04:09 PM) *

There are two holes in the cover???
The stock pump is mounted to the cover.

Rubber stand offs to eliminate vibration.
911 has some brackets that bolt to the rubber stand offs and accept a band clamp....so look up those parts.

What fuel pump are you using for the carbs?

Click to view attachment
Made in Mexico but it's working biggrin.gif
r_towle
You will need a 90 degree fitting off that, then some clamps.

Hang on a sec.
r_towle
You will need a 90 degree fitting off that, then some clamps.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fuel+pump+Bracket
Kirmizi
I think you're going to play hell trying to get that pump to fit with the filter attached.
I've got a Carter rotary, that fits nicely in the late model cover; but the filter has been installed inline prior to the pump.
Just a word of advice, pay attention to the lengths of your fuel lines.
A little extra aids in removal and maintenance, but may also lead to intermittent fuel delivery problems due to kinks if not secured properly. beerchug.gif
clapeza
Does anyone make a reproduction fuel pump mounting plate/cover for us early guys wanting to update to the newer style placement and access? (Instead of trying to source an original one.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.