Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repainting Steering Wheel Spokes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aylanco
I'm going to repaint my stock steering wheel spokes.

Which is correct: Gloss, satin or flat black??

Thanks IPB Image
Allan
I don't know what they oridinally came with but I would go with the satin. Not too shiny but easy to clean.
aylanco
Thanks Allan.

But I would like to know what finish they did come with originally...
Allan
I'm sure one of the wizards will chime in soon. Alot of these guys/gals know this stuff like you wouldn't believe.
aylanco
Exactly,

If we were talking 356's I could answer it myself but I am somewhat 914 challenged.

I am loving it, though IPB Image.

The 914 is hands down the most fun to drive of all of them!
aylanco
Bump IPB Image !!

What finish originally:

Gloss, satin or flat black?

Someone knows this!!

Thanks
Rough_Rider
Stay clear of anything shiny.
I picked up a polished alloy Sparco wheel a few years ago & had to ditch it after a few weeks. Was disconcerting driving along looking at yourself IPB Image
aylanco
Will do.

Does anyone know what the damn finish was originally on STOCK wheels ? IPB Image
tod914
Bring the wheel into the paintstore and match it that way. Providing of course you still have some paint on it. It's not flat, so that narrows it down to two choices IPB Image
markb
I used Wurth satin black on one of my wheels. It looks ok, but isn't right. I'm interested in finding out more, too.
aylanco
Rant on: I'd like to find out more too, but I keep hearing about finishes on aftermarket steering wheels IPB Image Rant off.

Let me rephrase the question: Who has a known-to-be original car with an original steering wheel?

Please contact me. I would like to know what finish your wheel is. IPB Image
markb
Satin black from the factory.
aylanco
Whew! IPB Image

Thanks Mark!
Lou W
I crawled up into the atic of my garage to look at my "original "steering wheel, as far as I can tell from my 31 year old car, it's Satin Black. IPB Image
Steve Thacker
Ditto here....satin is the color of my old steering wheel
TC/914
Was it satin PAINT or an anodized finish? If you just planning on repainting the wheel spokes, use SEM Trim Paint, stronger and much better looking than the usual Auto Zone, PEP BOYS, or hardware variety. Goes down thick and wet and dries to a smooth perfect satin finish. You can find it in most paint jobbers/auto parts houses.

It's great!

Luck,

TC
Eric_Shea
Satin Dark Grey/Black - To replicate the original finish in strength and appearance you may want to try spraying POR-15 with a flattening agent and thinned 15% with lacquer thinner.

If you want to rattle can it, try Wurth, however, I think it's overrated because it's supposed to be what the factory used on... bla, bla, bla. If you can find a satin finished enamel that you could bake on it may be better.

Another rattle can option is the store bought aerosol bottles that you cam mix your own paint in. Try the thinned POR-15 with flattening agent in there.
JeffBowlsby
Its a special VW grey black, satin paint. The only source I have seen without custom mixing is from Wolfsburg West, its called "L43 Grey Black". Comes in spray cans... IPB Image
Eric_Shea
IPB Image there ya go!
markb
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Dec 31 2004, 07:54 AM)
Its a special VW grey black, satin paint. The only source I have seen without custom mixing is from Wolfsburg West, its called "L43 Grey Black". Comes in spray cans... IPB Image

Excellent! Thanks! IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Dec 31 2004, 08:54 AM)

wolfsburg west is down the street from me.....

if someone needs some or some info, let me know IPB Image
rezron
I've got an original steering wheel that still has the
"fasten seat belt" sticker on it. It's definitely satin black.
I'd think that euro black trim paint would be a good match.

rezron
aylanco
Cool!

Thanks everyone IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.