Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK, so now what
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Last week I picked up a '71 parts car that showed up on a local craigslist. As an east coast special, I figured I'd pick a few parts off and the rest would be scrap. It's complete, and was a two owner car.The dash and targa bar pad are pristine. But after getting it home and looking closer, it appears that although there's some ugly spots,its not that bad. In fact, the doors close as well as on my 76.

So now I'm pondering whether or not to hang on to it as a project. I have it sitting along side the garage, under a tarp at the moment. I've worked hard to establish myself in the neighborhood as the resident redneck, what with having chickens, dogs, loud music, a substantial woodpile, lobster pots, and now a defunct 914 as part of my repertoire....

Anyway, here are some pics...

The hell holio
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Porschef
Longs

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

blink.gif

OOOfah, theys ugly
Porschef
Doors

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Porschef
And the sweet squirrel pusher.....

Click to view attachment

So, what say ye?

Merry Christmas to all.

Thanks,

Joe
Elliot Cannon
How are your welding skills? Better than mine I hope. Looks like a lot of work but fixable. Be careful the tarp doesn't trap more moisture in the car. Good luck and post pictures.
Cheers, Elliot
Kraftwerk
( speaking from no experience. but if you like welding, it looks like a fun project, besides, if you get a reputation for saving 914's , you will be a hero around here. Though your neighbors may never understand.
mepstein
Nothing that $5-10K wont fix. Nothing wrong with saving another 914 if you are prepared with the $, time and labor.
SirAndy
That's a east coast daily driver! biggrin.gif

If you're handy with a welder and have enough $$$ to buy the right parts then by all means, go for it.

They don't make them new anymore ...
shades.gif
r_towle
Put the rocker covers back on and drive it....geez

If you decide to sell it and you have a title or previous registration, let me know, I may buy it for a lemons racer.....
914itis
QUOTE(Porschef @ Dec 21 2013, 05:49 PM) *

Longs

blink.gif

OOOfah, theys ugly

Look like you will need my welder again.
All the power to you sir Joe.
saigon71
Joe:

If it's a project you are looking for, I think you got it. That rust on the drivers side door jam looks eerily similar to my car. mad.gif

Overall though, I think you got a decent deal on this. beerchug.gif

Let us know what you decide...and good luck!

Bob
turk22
but if you part it....

I dibs the dash!! beerchug.gif
scotty b
Trust me, that pass. hell hole is going to get a lot uglier. I always cringe when I see the drivers hell hole rotted. how are the rear wall and rear floor ?
Drums66
....1st,update your "TETANUS" shot poke.gif
(then start a welding school!) stirthepot.gif happy11.gif
bye1.gif
Porschef
Haven't pulled the back pad yet, so I'm not sure. Under the carpet I can pull off tar and it looks like it just left the factory...

Sorry, the dash is going on the '76 smile.gif as is the targa bar pad... drooley.gif
FourBlades

Fix it!

biggrin.gif
injunmort
fix it joe if not I am interested
Porschef
Mo pics....

Passenger corner. Very solid.
Click to view attachment

Door bottoms...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Clutch tubes a bit funky...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The passenger floorpan
Click to view attachment

I've become very intrigued by electric power... right inside my commute distance of 80 miles... I might have to try to bring this one back... ar15.gif happy11.gif blink.gif barf.gif av-943.gif WTF.gif huh.gif
wndsnd
[quote name='saigon71' post='1973727' date='Dec 22 2013, 03:58 PM']
Joe:

If it's a project you are looking for, I think you got it. That rust on the drivers side door jam looks eerily similar to my car. mad.gif

Exactly the same as my car. Why do they rust there through the sill at the rear of driver door.
Everyone can understand the hell hole under the battery, but why the driver sill?

John
ConeDodger
I'm betting Chris Foley would make short work of the rust on that.

evilgrin.gif

Keep it!
Porschef
[quote name='wndsnd' date='Jan 1 2014, 05:54 PM' post='1977615']
[quote name='saigon71' post='1973727' date='Dec 22 2013, 03:58 PM']
Joe:

Exactly the same as my car. Why do they rust there through the sill at the rear of driver door.
Everyone can understand the hell hole under the battery, but why the driver sill?

John
[/quote]

I'm wondering that too. The passenger side is nothing like that. Makes no sense to me.. confused24.gif
wndsnd
This one came from Maine.

Click to view attachment
Porschef
Wow John, makes one wonder what would cause all the corrosion in that area, doesn't it? Kudos on your restoration. pray.gif

What color is that?
TargaToy
You can make a new one of those. No sweat!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
It was Olympic but I changed it to Adriatic.

Thank you.

These Northeast cars really get punished.

Save it if you can and want a project!

Weld on........
wndsnd
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jan 1 2014, 08:28 PM) *

That's pure art Conrad!
tomeric914
Fix it up Joe. That's nothing.
rhodyguy
that bottom jamb section is slick.
JRust
If thats an early car. The dash is different than your 76
jeffdon
Not to be a jerk, but I am so glad to be third owner on a california car. My rust has been nothing compared!
Porschef
No jerkiness there at all Jeff, you're fortunate beerchug.gif My 76 came from California via Connecticut and had minimal rust, just that usual spot under the battery happy11.gif

JRust, I see the difference, I may be wrong as I haven't done the swap yet but it would appear that an early dash will fit a later car but not so much vice versa as the glove box door fouls on the smaller cutout. Soon to find out for certain... popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.