Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing sail panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruby914
I am thinking of replacing my sail panels.
At least one maybe both were replaced by a PO. Both had at least 1/8" of Bondo on the top 1/4 of the panel. The strange thing is there were 2 paint jobs on top of the Bondo on replaced panels.
My guess is the 1st PO hammered the sails in on the top, denting them, only to fill the dents later. More so, it looks like he hammered them in a little too far?
It looks like the top of the sail panel is under the top roll bar panel, I only presume this is correct?
I searched for an install thread and didn't find much. I did find something mentioned about some lead over a seam? I'm not sure where that was referring to.
Is there a past thread on this? Any tips, pointers, warnings?

r_towle
Ok, that looks tough.

Buy the panels first.
Remember, you do not need to replace the whole panel, just the area of rust that you need to fix.

If you entire issue is the hammer dents, you can pull those out with a torch, some welded on tabs, and some tricks that I will let Rick explain! cause when he showed me! I was floored how easy he makes it.

I welded on my replacement sail panel and it warped inward.
He showed me how to pull it back out with not too much effort.

You may want to clean off the whole panel, down to the door handle and post some larger pics of the issue so he can advise you properly.
ruby914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 22 2013, 07:54 AM) *

Ok, that looks tough.

Buy the panels first.
Remember, you do not need to replace the whole panel, just the area of rust that you need to fix.

If you entire issue is the hammer dents, you can pull those out with a torch, some welded on tabs, and some tricks that I will let Rick explain! cause when he showed me! I was floored how easy he makes it.

I welded on my replacement sail panel and it warped inward.
He showed me how to pull it back out with not too much effort.

You may want to clean off the whole panel, down to the door handle and post some larger pics of the issue so he can advise you properly.

Thanks Rich,

After looking it over last month, I ordered both sail panels form Restoration Design, I now have them.
I had put the targa top on and found the drivers side hung over more than the other.
The top of the sail thickness are 19mm and 24mm, about 5mm thicker on the passenger side.

I have not stripped the old panels yet but did take more measurements and photos.
I used a fishing rod to check diagonally for a rack. A fishing rod was the best tool for the job at the time. Measuring from the bottom RH sail to the top LH flange, I marked the rod.
I found about 5/16 difference from the opposite diagonal measurement. It leans to the drivers side yet the targa top hangs over more on the drivers side as well?
Next, I used a straight edge from the outer edge of the front targa seal to the sail panel and found RH and LH were not the same.
Some of this may look bad but with all the Bondo it was well hidden. My thought is replacing the panels will be the cleanest fix.
It looks like , taking the rack out will make the overhang problem worse.

I need to set aside some time to document more measurements starting with the windshield frame again.
When I did the long kit ,I remember the windshield started off maybe 3mm and looked like it had been replaced as well.
It is not easy checking measurements when you don't have a solid base point. I saw no change after installing the long kit.

As far as the racked condition, maybe I could use the ski rack mount holes to push and pull?

It's good to know, if not careful, I could weld it up just the way I found it, or worse.
r_towle
I doubt the targa bar is racked, it's inner panel goes all the way down.
Most likely the windshield frame is racked and you are mounting the whole top out of square.
Windshield frames don't have a lot of support and can become racked.
Look for clues in how the doors fit, how the fully adjustable front of the window looks different from one side to the other.

Mind you, the targa can rack if he car was hit just right, or it flipped on the roof.
Use some angle gauges , or make a cardboard template that fits inside on side, then see if it fits in the other side.
Same for the windshield, to of front fender to a pillar will show you if the passenger side a pillar is leaning back more than the drivers side, which may be what is going on with your car..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.