Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here is a view you don't see often
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I was cutting a grinding and I just had to cut that duct for the heater out of the body. There was filler all over it as you can see. I used my grinder to cut it off flush with the sheetmetal.
URY914
Than I cut and welded in a piece of sheet metal to cover the opening.
URY914
A little bondo and primer and it don't look too bad. IPB Image
URY914
It took about a hour start to finish. IPB Image
736conver
So what thats...... about a pound of filler. Getting lighter IPB Image
Chris Julian
Not sure you lost any wieght with that mod. Although you did fix a problem/hidden rust spot. What's the little disc of steel in the dimple for?

Chris
URY914
QUOTE (Chris Julian @ Dec 30 2004, 03:33 PM)
Not sure you lost any wieght with that mod. Although you did fix a problem/hidden rust spot. What's the little disc of steel in the dimple for?

Chris

Not everything I do reduces the weight, its a problem area that needed to be cleaned up. Ever stick a shop vac hose in that duct? I clean out 2 pounds worth of crap.

Sharp eye. The disc is where I'm attaching my strut from the inner ear. Some people weld it at the bottom edge of the floor pan.
brant
Paul,

that is exactly where my old race car has the strut mounted for the inner ear...

a very good place
brant
SirAndy
QUOTE (URY914 @ Dec 30 2004, 03:38 PM)
The disc is where I'm attaching my strut from the inner ear. Some people weld it at the bottom edge of the floor pan.

that "dimple" is actually a pretty strong area. that's where the 2 halves of the firewall connect. everything else around it is hollow ...

IPB Image Andy
Chris Julian
Very smart. With the added plate you now have three pieces of metal supporting the rod end. Hopefully the firewall will provide enough lateral stiffness and not just float with the ear.

Chris
Chris Julian
Here's how I supported my ear(s). Not sure teh plate is low enough?

Chris
URY914
Does the engine mounting bar become a stressed member when it is installed?
URY914
QUOTE (Chris Julian @ Dec 30 2004, 03:43 PM)
Very smart. With the added plate you now have three pieces of metal supporting the rod end. Hopefully the firewall will provide enough lateral stiffness and not just float with the ear.

Chris

I think it will. The fire will is two pieces of sheet metal about a 1/2" apart. Than they come together at that dimpled spot.

I don't have the HP or corning forces you have.
Chris Julian
Yes. The rectangular bar accepts another rectangular bar that bridges the engine bay and mounts the SBChevy.

Chris
DJsRepS
How about a pic of the drive train going into that well designed Tub, I bet Its as kick ass as the car! 6cyl 911 motor?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.