Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repacking bearings for the track
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ThePaintedMan
Curious if any of you racers make it a habit to replace the grease in new bearings (rear in particular) with a high-temp grease like Redline? I know the Spec Miata guys always repack at least their front sealed bearings with a high-temp grease, but their bearings seem to be prone to failure. Our car is low HP, so I doubt we'd see brake temps high enough to cause the wheel bearing grease to break down, but it can't hurt to ask, right?

I'm intending to do the fronts with high temp grease, but tempted to leave the rears as-is, especially since the right rear has already been done.
r_towle
Rears are sealed I believe.
Front you can pack with whatever you like, but considering the cost, under 20 bucks, it is well worth having many spares and replace them frequently, based upon your pre- race inspection to determine how they are holding up.

It is a light car, and these bearing will last quite a while
ThePaintedMan
Thanks Rich, that's a good point. The fronts are simple enough that having spares is cost effective.

Regarding the rears, they can be repacked, at least BEFORE installing the hub (otherwise I think most people trash the rear bearing when driving the hub out, right?). There are two halves to the inner race, and they can be separated I believe. That's how the SM guys replace their grease with high temp stuff. I dunno though, this weekend will be the first time I get my hands on a 914 rear bearing.
stownsen914
Wheel bearings aren't really a weak spot for the 914 as far as I know. I have the same rear wheel bearings in my 914/6 race car as when I first built the car. I just used them sealed as I got them. 75 track hours later, no issues. Same with the fronts (911 hubs in my case). For the fronts, it's worth using good grease, nothing crazy needed.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.