Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Filter Assemby Recommendations for Weber IDF
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Hey all, Merry Merry,

Just got my carbs back from George (The PaintedMan) and they look great! Now I'm seeking out a set of air filter assemblies. With so many options for 40 IDFs, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the choices.

These seem to be the best set offered by Aircooled.net -

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-3-1-4-Tall...ly-p/cb3312.htm

Should I be looking for something else?

Cheers,

Randy
02loftsmoor
what did he charge to rework them??
rhodyguy
so…$35. is that for one? @ one and unless shipping is included you're climbing towards a c-note for a pair. note there is no provision for the linkage on the base plate. i'd go to a local vw parts house or find some online and buy the SET of filters with the 'flimsy' top and base plates and no linkage provision.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 26 2013, 11:03 AM) *

Hey all, Merry Merry,

Just got my carbs back from George (The PaintedMan) and they look great! Now I'm seeking out a set of air filter assemblies. With so many options for 40 IDFs, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the choices.

Cheers,

Randy

Glad they got back to you safe and sound. I have those style filters on mine and I like them. They are more rigid than the chrome steel ones and seal better I think. Plus they don't rust.

If you buy them from Aircooled.net, I bet you could pick up one of those velocity stacks from John, since one of them on your carbs was broken when I received them. I think he sells them per stack. You won't need a provision for the linkage with your Bellcrank setup either. If you can find all the parts to the linkage that was on the car, you could sell it to recoup some of the cost. It appeared to be part of a Redline setup, from what I could tell.

RoadGlue
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Dec 26 2013, 08:14 AM) *

what did he charge to rework them??

I'd PM him and ask him directly about your project: thepaintedman
nathansnathan
It looks like Dell DRLA's and Weber idf's take the same filter assemblies from the listings on cb performance's site. They all look pretty much the same except the height of the threaded rod to match the height of filter. On the later pages, there are options that integreate a bracket for the hex linkage, too.
http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults...w=15&page=1

This page has the kits that come with the linkage, too. Most seem to come with the manifolds also, though.

http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=161

CB performance was the company that pioneered using italian carbs on VW motors. -Not saying their parts are super quality. Pick up some of their thicker manifold gaskets and the special small hex manifold nuts to compensate!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 26 2013, 08:17 AM) *

so…$35. is that for one? @ one and unless shipping is included you're climbing towards a c-note for a pair. note there is no provision for the linkage on the base plate. i'd go to a local vw parts house or find some online and buy the SET of filters with the 'flimsy' top and base plates and no linkage provision.

The price is fine, and I'm using the center mounted linkage which doesn't require any fixture on air cleaner assembly.

Just want to get what works well and won't fall apart. I've had many "flimsy" types that have spot welds break after a few years.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 26 2013, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 26 2013, 11:03 AM) *

Hey all, Merry Merry,

Cheers,

Randy

Glad they got back to you safe and sound. I have those style filters on mine and I like them. They are more rigid than the chrome steel ones and seal better I think. Plus they don't rust.

If you buy them from Aircooled.net, I bet you could pick up one of those velocity stacks from John, since one of them on your carbs was broken when I received them. I think he sells them per stack. You won't need a provision for the linkage with your Bellcrank setup either. If you can find all the parts to the linkage that was on the car, you could sell it to recoup some of the cost. It appeared to be part of a Redline setup, from what I could tell.

They look great George. Love the STOP note. Ha! Thanks again. smile.gif

Yeah, I threw all the garbage, sloppy hex-bar linkage out a long time ago. Oh well!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 26 2013, 08:21 AM) *

It looks like Dell DRLA's and Weber idf's take the same filter assemblies from the listings on cb performance's site. They all look pretty much the same except the height of the threaded rod to match the height of filter. On the later pages, there are options that integreate a bracket for the hex linkage, too.
http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults...w=15&page=1

This page has the kits that come with the linkage, too. Most seem to come with the manifolds also, though.

http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=161

CB performance was the company that pioneered using italian carbs on VW motors. -Not saying their parts are super quality. Pick up some of their thicker manifold gaskets and the special small hex manifold nuts to compensate!

Thanks! Yeah, no need for linkage or manifolds. Really set up other than stacks and air filter assemblies.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 26 2013, 08:18 AM) *

If you buy them from Aircooled.net, I bet you could pick up one of those velocity stacks from John, since one of them on your carbs was broken when I received them. I think he sells them per stack.

Ha, they were already in my cart when I second guessed the air filter stuff. Yep, getting the shorties. Just the cast versions. They were fine and didn't crack until I had them off the car. Think they smacked something.
mrbubblehead
those are the assemblies that i use. i think they are way better than the flimsy stamped junk. i also use a k&n filter and a UNI foam pre filter. and....
RoadGlue
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 26 2013, 09:57 AM) *

those are the assemblies that i use. i think they are way better than the flimsy stamped junk. i also use a k&n filter and a UNI foam pre filter. and....

Cool. I don't see any reason to not get them then at this point.

Thanks bud!
shoguneagle
THREAD HIGHJACK!!! Hi, Randy. Just took the opportunity to say hi and do miss your website. Great to see you are still active.

SORRY ABOUT THE HIGHJACK! Back to 'normal broadcast'.

Steve Hurt
RoadGlue
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Dec 26 2013, 12:20 PM) *

THREAD HIGHJACK!!! Hi, Randy. Just took the opportunity to say hi and do miss your website. Great to see you are still active.

SORRY ABOUT THE HIGHJACK! Back to 'normal broadcast'.

Steve Hurt

Hey Steve!

Oh the old RoadGlue days. Really happy we have this great resource here. RoadGlue was a ton of fun back in the early 2000s when there wasn't much else out there. Sure had a blast on our drives too.

Been lurking and out of the loop as I sold my running 914 a while back. Getting my other one back up and going really soon. Money is a bit tight, so I'm having to space out the spending.

All my best.
RoadGlue
Oh, and member number 84... you beat me here? Wow! smile.gif
McMark
I LOVE these.

IPB Image
somd914
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 26 2013, 10:22 PM) *

I LOVE these.

IPB Image

agree.gif This is what I run with a center bell crank linkage assembly - good sturdy set up.

I also use the below hardware set up - love the rubber washers as they are a tight fit over studs preventing the filter covers from coming off should the wing nuts come loose.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetail...roductCode=3384
nathansnathan
QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 27 2013, 09:09 AM) *

I LOVE these.

IPB Image

agree.gif This is what I run with a center bell crank linkage assembly - good sturdy set up.

I also use the below hardware set up - love the rubber washers as they are a tight fit over studs preventing the filter covers from coming off should the wing nuts come loose.

Seems using rubber washers would not work with the "large contact surface area because of the taper head screws that hold down the top plate", as the review that mark has written on the page states. Perhaps you are talking about using rubber washers on the cb performance ones?

The price on those ones from pierce manifolds, is pretty steep - seems like using rubber washers on top would be worth saving half the cost.
RoadGlue
Yeah, $32 vs. $80/pc is a bit disproportionate unless there's something really wrong with the one or really amazing with the other. Both are cast as far as I can tell, and I'm happy using a little Loctite or rubber washers to help with the wingnut issue.

Great info everyone. Thanks!

Ordered the CB Performance setups and 1-5/8" velocity stacks. Boom!
somd914
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 27 2013, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 27 2013, 09:09 AM) *

I LOVE these.

IPB Image

Seems using rubber washers would not work with the "large contact surface area because of the taper head screws that hold down the top plate", as the review that mark has written on the page states. Perhaps you are talking about using rubber washers on the cb performance ones?

The price on those ones from pierce manifolds, is pretty steep - seems like using rubber washers on top would be worth saving half the cost.

Oops sorry about that - didn't pay close enough attention. Using CB Performance cleaner assemblies and happy with them over the stamped steel ones I had before.
RoadGlue
Do any of you happen to know the size of the rubber washers? Don't feel the need to purchase the stud kits just to get a few 10 cent rubber washers. smile.gif
RoadGlue
Hmmm, or do I have to get those kits? It's hard to tell from the description if the assemblies even come with mounting studs:

"CB Performance's medium height Cast Aluminum Air Filter assembly for the Weber IDF and Dellorto DRLA carburetors. This filter does NOT have any linkage components incorporated into it, it's JUST the filter element, and the cast aluminum top and bottom."
rhodyguy
if you're using a xbar linkage you'll need to retain the bases you currently run with the aircooled set.
RoadGlue
Running bellcrank, not crossbar. Thanks though!
nathansnathan
You could always just buy all-thread (and rubber washers) from a hardware store if need be, I think it's 10-24.
ThePaintedMan
Randy,
I'm pretty sure the hardware comes with the kit. If not, I'll shoot you some pics. It's stuff that's easy to cobble together at the hardware store.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.