Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear alignment question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I look at my car from the back and the drivers side wheel is straight up and down, the passenger side is tilted in at the top. Do I add or remove shims to bring it upright?
Aaron Cox
add shims for positive camber IIRC

my car has no shims and -2 deg camber IPB Image
skline
Well, mine has 3 in there and it is visibly tilted inward at the top. I am not liking it either. I dont recall it being like that before moving the car around.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 30 2004, 09:51 PM)
Well, mine has 3 in there and it is visibly tilted inward at the top. I am not liking it either. I dont recall it being like that before moving the car around.

bent? i could be wrong....IIRC shims = + camber

IPB Image
Duffster
I'm not sure that this much application, as that Shalom has pretty good wheel well cut outs, but FWIW I'm running about 4 degrees negative to clear the fatties on the rear of mine. If you wind up with those red thangs on it, you'll want some negative camber... limited of course by how much you feel like grinding off the inner fender wells IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 30 2004, 08:51 PM)

that's not gud!

add shims for +, remove for - ...

usually, if you have a lot of shims and still - camber, your trailing arms are bend !!!
ask me how i know ...

IPB Image Andy
skline
Can they be bending right now? I have the boxed trailing arm stiffeners welded on but I would swear it is getting worse.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 30 2004, 11:02 PM)
Can they be bending right now? I have the boxed trailing arm stiffeners welded on but I would swear it is getting worse.

IPB Image did they warp when you welded on the kit?

how could it be getting worse? check your bushings for wear, check the suspension ear for ovaling
skline
My other concern is my front spoiler, I cant even get my shoe under the front lip of the spoiler. The toes go under but it hits on the instep of my foot. It couldnt be more than 3 inches from the ground to the spoiler. That seems a bit low to me. It looks pretty cool but being fiberglass, it wont last long going in driveways. I need to bring it up to at least 4 or 5 inches. Anybody want to come help me set it up so I can get clearance?
jim912928
If you think your camber is changing noticeably...I'd check your bushings. If they are the original they might be disintrating in chunks as we speak since they are now being stressed. Maybe they also got too hot/hard/brittle after the welding and they are breaking away?
Mueller
make sure your rear springs are seated correctly, one side might not be in position after raising and lowering the car????
Joe Bob
I have extra shims if you need them....the boxed arms are REAL easy to warp unless they were in a jig when welding. I fuched them up on the Rocket....had to do it twice.

As to the front spoiler....."I" used a stiff rubber lip and cut the fiberglass up a bit.....I am always doing a kamikaze on speed bumps, steep driveways and curbs......

BTW...you can get the shims when ya come up for the trailer.....
SirAndy
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 30 2004, 10:02 PM)
I would swear it is getting worse.

double check your suspension console and make sure it's not cracked ...
they start sagging when they crack.

IPB Image Andy
Jeffs9146
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 30 2004, 10:02 PM)
I would swear it is getting worse.  

double check your suspension console and make sure it's not cracked ...
they start sagging when they crack.

Andy

Check your suspension ear! It could be ovaled out!

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Photo
Chris Julian
Scott, double check the large castle nuts. If you recall I had this issue (loose nuts- he he) a while back and it kicked the tire out (or in @ the top) by close to 1/2".

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.