Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Made me a engine mounting bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
The stock cast iron late model bar weighs in at 14 pounds. I made this one from 1" round tubing for the bottom section and 3/4" square tubing from the top section. And I added a 1" angle at the middle where the engine bolts to it.

This weighs 5 pounds!!! I saved 9 pounds!!! ( I'm pretty good at math) IPB Image
michel richard
Looks very good.

How deep is it, i.e. how far down will it hang once it is on the car ?

Michel Richard
URY914
It will have the same clearance as the stock bar.

Being that this weight is at just about the lowest point on the car it may not have a big effect as it would if you were to take 9 pounds out of the roof. But hey 9 pounds is 9 pounds!

Paul
spare time toys
It may raise the CG a few micro inches. IPB Image IPB Image So one you get all the pounds off the car will you look at high tech fabrics for the lowest weight driving gear known to man? IPB Image
Dominic
Let me know when you start selling those IPB Image
I'd be interested.
watsonrx13
Well done Paul... IPB Image
URY914
Maybe I should apply for a patent now.
(fenderliners come to mind IPB Image )
machina
That is awesome. IPB Image

Always wondered why nobody made one before. That iron crossbar looks like it came off a locomotive.
URY914
That first pic wasn't too good, heres one outside.

Thanks everyone.

Paul
Trekkor
Thanks for posting that qualty work! IPB Image

KT
nebreitling
where do i send my paypal?

seriously, how 'bout a limited run of these things? i'm in.
Mueller
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Dec 31 2004, 09:32 AM)
That is awesome. IPB Image

Always wondered why nobody made one before. That iron crossbar looks like it came off a locomotive.

great job !!!!

there is a guy in So-cal that was making them that wanted something like 150 each....

at a Dunkles swapmeet any guy was selling lite weight versions for $10...not sure if he sold any or not, I should have bought one...his "brand name"? weltshiester IPB Image
jandro62
about the high tech fabrics - just don't use aircraft fabric. We tried to see if it would could be used instead of bodywork on a formula car - it failed the test when someone through a bolt through the fabric stretched over the frame!
Mueller
QUOTE (jandro62 @ Dec 31 2004, 10:28 AM)
about the high tech fabrics - just don't use aircraft fabric. We tried to see if it would could be used instead of bodywork on a formula car - it failed the test when someone through a bolt through the fabric stretched over the frame!

ah.....dope and fabric...brings back "memories" of A&P school......LOL
736conver
Looks good
That looks similar to the engine bar I was making with my buddy. We knew there was a weight savings there so we started to fab some ideas up. I had the idea and he's a professional welder. We're still in testing stages to make sure its durable and race worthy.
airsix
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 31 2004, 09:31 AM)

I think you mean "memory loss". IPB Image You might say people who've never smelled dope on silk are missing something but it would probably be more accurate to say that those of us WHO HAVE are the ones "missing something" (ie. brain cells). If I added up all the bad stuff I've been exposed too (before I grew up and used my brain) I'd qualify as a walking superfund site.

-Ben M.
spare time toys
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 31 2004, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (jandro62 @ Dec 31 2004, 10:28 AM)

That and some of the home builts I have helped guys here at work with. IPB Image
seanery
looks great paul IPB Image
Rusty
Paul... Nice job. Very cool. IPB Image

Oh, btw... There is a guy on Rennlist looking for an engine mount bar for his EV conversion.

He might be interested in yours!

-Lawrence
DJsRepS
Looks great would that fit side shift and tail shift. There is a difference, It dont look like 9 lbs lighter to me nice workmanship. I figured you were doing a V8 is why you made one.
URY914
QUOTE (jandro62 @ Dec 31 2004, 09:28 AM)

Did the topic change and I missed it? Where did high tech fabrics come from?
URY914
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Dec 31 2004, 09:01 AM)
where do i send my paypal?

seriously, how 'bout a limited run of these things? i'm in.

I don't have enough time to work on my own car much less make parts for others.
I've done f/g door skins, front turn signal lenses, engine bars and outside door handles.

I better install it and see if its breaks before I start taking orders. IPB Image

Paul
URY914
QUOTE (736conver @ Dec 31 2004, 09:37 AM)
Looks good
That looks similar to the engine bar I was making with my buddy. We knew there was a weight savings there so we started to fab some ideas up. I had the idea and he's a professional welder. We're still in testing stages to make sure its durable and race worthy.

I was thinking of filling the area between the upper and lower members with sheet metal and cutting holes for the shift rod and cables but this was easier.
URY914
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Dec 31 2004, 10:45 AM)
Paul... Nice job.  Very cool.   IPB Image

Oh, btw... There is a guy on Rennlist looking for an engine mount bar for his EV conversion.

He might be interested in yours!

-Lawrence

I now have an early and a late style bars in my collection, I' be happy to unload one.
URY914
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Dec 31 2004, 11:05 AM)
It dont look like 9 lbs lighter to me nice workmanship. I figured you were doing a V8 is why you made one.

Next time I'll post a picture of it on the scale for you.

It's for a TypeIV.
cooltimes
Looks good. I always wondered why the Porsche engineers made the motor mount bar so hefty. Has anyone ever noticed any torque or stress twisting on any of the 914 factory bars?

Also. Good catch Rusty. Bet it would work out nicely for that EV 914 Ben A. is building.
rick 918-S
nice piece man. IPB Image I thought you were going to post a picture of a roll of bailing wire or some nylon rope! IPB Image Now that would be funny! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
nein14
Great Job!! IPB Image Iam in for one if you are going to make some up. any thought to one out of aluminum?
URY914
QUOTE (nein14 @ Dec 31 2004, 02:33 PM)
Great Job!! IPB Image Iam in for one if you are going to make some up. any thought to one out of aluminum?

Sure, if I could weld aluminum! IPB Image

Paul
Gint
Looks great Paul. Nice work.

'Nuther 1000 pounds or so and you'll smoke 'em all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.