Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power Output
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
I am a total newb...Just learning im 17 ok..Hey, im curious as to what the possible power output of the original 1.7....(Carbureted and Fuel Injected) Anyone ever tried and built up a monster of these...or is it usually just thrown away for a bigger motor? Cause if I could get at least 110-120hp I would be stoked...but im not sure on that probability..
-Jared lol2.gif
Bleyseng
Ray Greenwood has a 1.7L that dyno's about 102hp. Its still got the Djet but different a cam (WebCam), and FI mods to tune it.
I am guess you can get about 95-100hp with carbs and a higher lift cam.
Geoff
DrifterJay
Thanx..do you think its worth it?
Jared
Bleyseng
Its easier to buy a good used 2.0L and install that plus having a 2.0L in the engine bay makes your car worth more.
It cost the same to rebuild a 1.7l (try and find the domed pistons!) as a 2.0L. The 2.0l heads are the key to the hp/torque increase. Why spend $3k+ to rebuild a 1.7L? Unless you race and are class restricted.

Geoff
DrifterJay
Well..This is what im doing, I finish High School in two weeks and leave for basic training in 4.. Basically in 6 months im stationed in Barstow California..Hell..(at least I dont have to worry about rust for 4 years..) This car is to be my daily driver. Its a 72 914 with a 1.7 in it now. My starting budget will be around 10 thousand..What do you suggest I do? I want to autocross on the weekends..but the motor needs to last for 40,000 miles hopefully. A lot to swallow..I would like to know what you would do..I want to do one thing at a time. Jared smile.gif
seanery
You have 10g's to spend on it now?
There is a 2.0 on ebay right now
2.0 engine

Put a 19mm m/c on, new brake pads, James Adams' Rennshifter, new tires, 2.0 fuchs, new adjustable shocks and springs, Mueller's roller bearings....That's a good start.
DrifterJay
I wish..no..When I finish tech school I will have most of the money from basic and tech saved..plus my 3500 bonus..Jared
Bleyseng
The motors last for 150k unless you don't do the proper maintance. Valve adjustments, oil changes are key.
If you have a 10k budget why not buy a excellent conditon 914. Doesn't cost that much to add stuff to AX a car.
The money adds up when you repair a car. Rust, paint, engine rebuild, brakes, etc...
Geoff
anthony
Yes, sell your current car. Buy a really nice 2L 914 for around $6K and then you'll have $4K in your pocket for upgrades, repairs, and maintenance.
Lawrence
Hi Jared,

I guess you're either headed to Fort Irwin, or the Marine camp out in western California. Have you been to Barstow before?

My suggestion: Wait. If you're really going to have 10k saved by the time you get to California, keep your current 914 running, but don't do serious mods to it. Then, when you get out west, give Brad or Mike Z a call, and they can help line up a very nice, fully optioned, 73/74 2.0 for that kind of cash. And it will be ready for autocross.

-Rusty
Qarl
Drifter:

Listen to what the others are saying. California is a 914 gold mine. Yes, you may be attached to your current car, but you can find some nice gems in Cali, and not spend all of your money fixing your current car.

Regards,

Karl
DrifterJay
Thanx for the imput guys...and I also live in Cali...
Jared
vw505
ya , i think my next set of orders will be to cali jacksonville florida kind of sucks . its cheep to live here but there nuthing to do . plus i think i could get my 74 on the road faster there than here .
vw505
have you looked at a set of 96mm p&c's and a web cam?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.