Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting gas tank boiled/cleaned/painted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
So, one of my projects this winter is to get all of my fuel system redone. This includes replacing all rubber fuel lines (already have SS lines in the tunnel and through the engine bay), replacing fuel filter, etc...

1. Where can I take my tank in San Ramon to have it cleaned/boiled, sealed (if needed) and repainted?

2. Is there any way to put the fuel filter in an easier place to change?
Mike Bellis
I'm not sure of a place that does all those things to a tank around here. I would call Panky's Radiator in Hayward for the boil. If they can't do it, they will know who can.

Once boiled, you could do a POR15 seal and paint yourself.

My fuel pump and filter are in the front trunk...
boxsterfan
Thanks Mike. Oh, and anyone know where I can get a new rubber gasket for inside my gas cap?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 27 2013, 11:03 AM) *

Thanks Mike. Oh, and anyone know where I can get a new rubber gasket for inside my gas cap?

I think I have an extra one.
gothspeed
This tank sealer seems to have a lot of great reviews .... smile.gif

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealer.ht...ack-to-top-link
McMark
This is the only sealer I use. Caswell Epoxy

I prep tanks with Marine Clean (to dissolve petroleum/oil) and Metal Ready (to erode rust deposits) from POR-15. Then dry thoroughly with a heat gun before applying the epoxy.

Most other tank sealers are 'gummy' and for a plastic type sheet. If this sheet starts to separate it will simply pull away from the walls and could completely clog the fuel system. The epoxy is a hard coating. Should a section start to separate, which is already unlikely, the epoxy would crack or chip off. These fragments will sit in the bottom of the tank and shouldn't affect the fueling system. When I use this system, I dump the extra on my shop floor to seal that as well, little by little. I have one patch that has sat for 4 years of driving over, jacks being drug over it, etc and it's still fine.
Rotary'14
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 27 2013, 12:03 PM) *

If you need a gasket for the inside of your gas cap,, I do think you can get them from mikey at 914rubber.com

-Robert
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.