Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone painted their engine block and fan housings ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
I stripped my little 1.7 down to a long block last week so that I can clean it up before I put it back into the car. I had everything steam cleaned yesterday afternoon. My block, heads, and fan housings look really bad. All of the crud is off of them now, but they are stained and discolored. Has anyone painted theblock,heads, and fan housings and had them not look like aluminum or silver paint ?? IMO, aluminum and silver spray paint is too shiney and bright, and everytime that you touch it, it seems like it likes to rub off. Any thoughts or suggestions ?? Thanks .... David
rhodyguy
fan housing maybe. the heads, cyls, and case are good to go after cleaning. with the tins on they will never be seen.
JStroud
When I rebuilt my motor I painted the fan housing and intake runners light gray, the tin black, I liked it. You can't see the block or heads when everything is on, might cause heat issues if you paint them too. There's pictures of mine in the parts classified, my 2056 is for sale, if you want to see the look.

Jeff
David_S
QUOTE(JStroud @ Dec 28 2013, 10:04 AM) *

When I rebuilt my motor I painted the fan housing and intake runners light gray, the tin black, I liked it. You can't see the block or heads when everything is on, might cause heat issues if you paint them too. There's pictures of mine in the parts classified, my 2056 is for sale, if you want to see the look.

Jeff

Thanks ..... That is the look that I am hoping to end up with !! That there is a sweet looking engine !!!!
ww914
Here is a photo of my engine showing the fan housing that I painted with good automotive paint when it was off after an engine rebuild. The breather box is painted with the same paint, but a year or two later. It has held up pretty good, but again, it wasn't painted with a rattle can. I am sure, however, a good wheel paint would probably work just fine.

Click to view attachment
Tom
Went for a different look when I had the engine out to clean it up. Rattle can black on fan housing, red on tins. Done in 2006 and has stood the test of time well.
Tom
Harpo
I had my fan shroud powder coated and I painted the top part of the case where it is exposed with high temp silver paint.

David
gothspeed
I had my fan shroud solvent cleaned, sand blasted then powdercoated ..... it looks awesome ...... smile.gif
Jake Raby
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

rhodyguy
is the case coated or cleaned to the max?
Jake Raby
Coated with an aviation Zinc Chromate type primer, then with an aviation crankcase coating. These still look this way a decade later.
rudedude
looks nice!
cary
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 28 2013, 05:40 PM) *

Coated with an aviation Zinc Chromate type primer, then with an aviation crankcase coating. These still look this way a decade later.

Jake, that looks tidy.
Any special prep?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.