Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tip-Renegade motor mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
Just a tip for those who are either replacing motor mounts or installing a Renegade kit.
For models wherre the alternator is mounted low on the passenger side of the car (not sure if all there v-8 kits are configured this way or not), you will need to grind off about 1/16" off the right lobe of the passenger side motor mount in order to gain clearance for the alternator to be installed (and adjusted).
Don't ask how I know this information.
Learn from my pain or do it twice (and it aint fun undoing several hours of work on your back).
Mike Bellis
Strange, I never had to do that on mine... confused24.gif Maybe because it on the drivers side??? blink.gif

Click to view attachment
HalfMoon
Yep! You have the a/c version and it mounts the Alt on the drivers side thus saving you this unfortunate learning experience, lol!
Be grateful, very grateful headbang.gif
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 28 2013, 11:48 AM) *

Strange, I never had to do that on mine... confused24.gif Maybe because it on the drivers side??? blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Bruce Hinds
Not sure why you are having problems with the alternator on either side. Both sides should line up the same.

Why put the water pump under the electrical box? It was much easier to plumb and wire with the alt on the drivers side and the pump on the passenger side. You don't have to cross hoses that way and the alt then is next to the circuit box.
computers4kids
Mine cleared fine before and after I added AC.
HalfMoon
Odd I'm not seeing any Renegade kits that look remotely like mine.
Mine is a non-AC, with the alt mounted on the passenger side and I can assure you, failing to remove 1/16" off the right lob of the engine mount will mean you won't be able to install the alt much less get a belt on it much less adjust the belt. Pics tomorrow (and they will speak a thousand words)
chads74
I didn't have to make any mods to how mine mounted either.
mikesmith
Mike B's setup looks like mine (though the alternator is on the RHS close to the battery, which makes good sense to me...)

Are you using the typical alternator? Things are pretty tight down there, and the Delco 10/12si alternators are surprisingly compact. I could imagine things being a bit exciting using a different one.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Dec 29 2013, 09:24 PM) *

Odd I'm not seeing any Renegade kits that look remotely like mine.
Mine is a non-AC, with the alt mounted on the passenger side and I can assure you, failing to remove 1/16" off the right lob of the engine mount will mean you won't be able to install the alt much less get a belt on it much less adjust the belt. Pics tomorrow (and they will speak a thousand words)

Here's a picture of the problem/fix for the Renegade clearance issue between the passenger side right lobe of the motor mount and the alternator (for the Renegade system that's a sb chevy, non-ac, alt mounted low on the passenger side)
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bruce Hinds
It's kind of hard to see what you're talking about from the photos, but here's a question - What if you run the alternator on the forward pulley slot, the pump on the aft slot and then space the alternator out to align the belt.

It's been quite some time since I did mine, but I remember it took some trial and error to make everything fit just the way I wanted it.
mikesmith
That looks about right; I might have a couple mm more clearance (running on the back pulley). Your alternator is clocked to make life hard - if you split the front and back and rotate the halves 90 degrees either way things will be a bit easier.
HalfMoon
Well grinding off a 1/16" off the lobe of the motor mount took care of it. If you look closely at the 2nd image you can see the flatness of where I ground it down. Works fine that way, but I was giving a heads up to anyone that is running the same setup so to save them having to do the job twice. You'll only know about the problem if you assemble it and it has to be dis-assembled to make the fix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.