Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firewall shift bushing linkage install question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
Hi everyone!
I had a question about the installation of the firewall shift linkage bushing installation.
It seems all the threads indicate boiling the bushing for three minutes prior to install makes the bushing quite flexible enabling easy installation, but I wonder if anyone's tried to do the install using this method with the forward shift linkage still in place, i.e. slipping the bushing over the linkage and then sliding it into the firewall apeture?
Seems like it could be do able thus saving the time required to unbolt the shifter from the floor and open the floor inspection plate to guide the linkage back through the bushing.
I wonder....
Mike Bellis
Will not work without destroying the bushing. The locking tabs on the bushing need to bend in order to snap in place. With the shift rod in place, they cannot bend.
HalfMoon
Have you tried it and destroyed a bushing?
Cause it looks like there's enough room for the locking tab to bend enough for it to snap into place.
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 28 2013, 11:52 AM) *

Will not work without destroying the bushing. The locking tabs on the bushing need to bend in order to snap in place. With the shift rod in place, they cannot bend.

Mike Bellis
Try it...
Cap'n Krusty
If there's enough room for the ring to collapse inward, you have the wrong bushing or the wrong shift rod.

The Cap'n
rhodyguy
trying to remember. can he just disconnect the shift lever from the rod, slide the rod forward from the hole and put the bushing in? this way he won't disturb his current setup.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 28 2013, 09:56 AM) *

trying to remember. can he just disconnect the shift lever from the rod, slide the rod forward from the hole and put the bushing in? this way he won't disturb his current setup.

Actually, the "current setup" IS the connection at the base of the shifter. I usually unbolt the shifter assembly and move it forward as far as possible, allowing room to replace the bushing. Works like a charm. Another secret revealed ................

The Cap'n
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 28 2013, 12:03 PM) *

Try it...

I did. It didn't work. It didn't destroy the bushing though. Likely it would have if I had applied stoopid amounts of force.
Pity. Would have saved time but unbolting the shifter isn't so big a deal. Getting the linkage back through the firewall could be a pain....Alas, inspection cover will facilitate getting it back through.
Not many shortcuts on teeners (sigh)
rhodyguy
john, isn't there a middle confection in the rear of the tunnel that comes into play too?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 28 2013, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 28 2013, 09:56 AM) *

Actually, the "current setup" IS the connection at the base of the shifter. I usually unbolt the shifter assembly and move it forward as far as possible, allowing room to replace the bushing. Works like a charm. Another secret revealed ................

The Cap'n

Yes, I've seen alot of threads that recommended this method as it won't foul the shifting setup. No doubt that's what I'll be doing as plan "A" didn't work. Worth a try it though (albeit gently so's not to destroy the bushing).
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 28 2013, 01:08 PM) *

john, isn't there a middle confection in the rear of the tunnel that comes into play too?

Yes. The coupler has to be removed from the end of the rod.

The Cap'n
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 28 2013, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 28 2013, 01:08 PM) *

Yes. The coupler has to be removed from the end of the rod.

The Cap'n

And I've been told using a used cone screw isn't such a good idea so I ordered new ones smile.gif
Fortunately my old ones came out with no problem
etcmss
just did the firewall bushing this morning in a 74. the shifter linkage was not connected and after heating the bushing in hot water for several minutes it went in very easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.