Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips for Speedo Angle Drive Seal Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehokana
I was planning on pulling the speedo angle drive tomorrow to replace the seal, and hopefully fix the last leak on my car. It seems fairly straight-forward but I figured someone on here might have some helpful advice to make things go more smoothly.

I am planning on pulling the drive and replacing the seal and then, assuming that fixes my leak, changing the tranny fluid also.

Thanks in advance!
JStroud
The only true fix for those that I've found is McMarks double o-ring fix, both my trannies have them ....no more leaks.

Jeff
jimkelly
mcmarks member vendor thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103985
bulitt
Believe when you pull that drive you will lose all your fluid.
You need to drain the trans first. Make sure you can get the fill plug off first. Some are frozen on pretty good.
Dave_Darling
Don't over-torque the short bolt that retains the drive shaft. It threads into not much magnesium alloy, so the threads are not at all strong. (Even if it is helicoiled already.)

--DD
Mike D.
I have installed a used push rod tube seal with great success. But I'm not recomending it for fear of the wrath of the Crusty one. smile.gif
euro911
QUOTE(JStroud @ Dec 28 2013, 10:43 PM) *
The only true fix for those that I've found is McMarks double o-ring fix, both my trannies have them ....no more leaks.

Jeff
agree.gif ... no more leaks for me too
ehokana
It looks like whenever this was done last, the retainer bolt was over torqued and the threads just crumbled. If this happens, is there any fix other than drill and rethread or something similar? The retainer bolt holds but, at half thread, I'm not confident that it will hold for long.

Any advice there guys?
euro911
I had to have a steel insert installed on mine.
bulitt
Time-sert
euro911
Yep.
ehokana
Same thing the shop I use recommended. Luckily it isn't one of those cases where the only thing people can say is "you're screwed"

On the plus side, the leak is fixed, so I guess you have to take the good with the bad
Dave_Darling
The tail covers aren't part of the super-precision setup the way the intermediate plate and main transmission case (and ring gear setup) are. So you can swap them around without any real hassles.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.