Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i almost got scammed - craigslist/paypal - related
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
I had an item on craigslist and was contacted about it.

I knew something was fishy almost from the start.
buyer called me many times and then wanted me to ship to his girlfriend.
and he wanted to overpay for shipping by about $80.

and then his paypal payment did not show up in my in box but in my spam box, and it did not look like any paypal email notification I had ever rcvd before.

as I was reading it with buyer on phone suggesting I look in my spam box, I noticed a different buyer name and (drum roll) NIGERIA.

I told him NIGERIA, WE CAN'T DO THIS DEAL.

but see the mentions of pay paypal in attached graphis, we need to be careful with buyers, especially on craigslist, as always.
rhodyguy
tell him to send the money via western union (can be accomplished online. great alternative to paypal by the way. the transaction is not connected to any banking account. i've used it. money is collected at my local safeway/supermarket) and then you'll ship the item.
mepstein
I think it's a reminder to check our actual PP account and not trust email scams.
Except for dAnNy, I've never had any problem on world but craiglist is the wild west.
Mike Bellis
I better go collect the $15 MILLION DOLLARS US that I have waiting in Nigeria before these scammers take off with my money. dry.gif
02loftsmoor
Been there. Just stay on your toes. I've nevegtr had any luck with craigs list. All the wackos live there
mikesmith
Western Union is a scammer favorite. Read the Craigslist page on typical scammer behavior, it's short and to the point.

Also, Jim, you might want to turn off image loading in your email client. It's how email spammers know a human is receiving their junk...
euro911
Not a scam, but I posted an ad on Craigslist's Lost and Found for a couple of small dogs that wandered into our yard a couple of weeks ago.

Someone a few miles away posted a lost dog ad that matched the description of one of the dogs yesterday, so I emailed them in the morning.

I checked my email when I got home later in the evening, but no responses received. I decided to call the phone # in the ad and spoke with the person who placed the ad. He said he responded via email and attached a picture of his dog.

I searched my inbox again, also the spam folders, but nothing. Just for the heck of it, I checked my trash folder ... and that's where I found his email.

Yahoo mail automatically dumped his email in my trash folder! WTF.gif
R8CERX
The formatting of the response email is usually a give away as well

Look at the spacing between punctuation marks

By the way, Jim.... I got a house in Texas that I rent to one of our members.....Woody

He owes me one months rent- $2000

If you can get him to send me the payment within two days, you can keep $500 and just send me $1500

blink.gif
jasons
Help me out, I get that it has all the signs of a scam but... Where is the scam? How was the Nigerian Prince going to benefit?
r_towle
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 29 2013, 01:32 PM) *

Not a scam, but I posted an ad on Craigslist's Lost and Found for a couple of small dogs that wandered into our yard a couple of weeks ago.

Someone a few miles away posted a lost dog ad that matched the description of one of the dogs yesterday, so I emailed them in the morning.

I checked my email when I got home later in the evening, but no responses received. I decided to call the phone # in the ad and spoke with the person who placed the ad. He said he responded via email and attached a picture of his dog.

I searched my inbox again, also the spam folders, but nothing. Just for the heck of it, I checked my trash folder ... and that's where I found his email.

Yahoo mail automatically dumped his email in my trash folder! WTF.gif

Stop using yahoo free mail, use gmail.
Better filtering, better technology.

Rich
euro911
Been thinking about Gmail, but I've had my yahoo email address since the late 90s. Would be hard to give up confused24.gif
stateofidleness
QUOTE(jasons @ Dec 29 2013, 01:28 PM) *

Help me out, I get that it has all the signs of a scam but... Where is the scam? How was the Nigerian Prince going to benefit?

My guess is that he just "doctored" a legitimate PayPal notification email that you get when someone sends you money. Just replaced some of the text with his name and the appropriate amount. I'm guessing the goal is to get you to see the email only and assume that it's legit and money was actually added to your PayPal account. You would then send the item under the assumption your money is safe and sound in the PayPal account, but nothing was ever really sent.
rhodyguy
i don't quite understand how w.u. is a scammers favorite. the co has been around forever. i can see if you're sending funds but not the other way around. when i've received payment thru w.u. my local store gives me cash on the spot. no bank account #bs that payment can be rescinded from resulting in a potential disaster.
EdwardBlume
WU is a favorite for crooks getting people to send money. On the receiving side, you just need to make sure the check is legit, ie crooks send fake cashiers checks and pay over the amount etc.
EdwardBlume
Oh and depositing or cashing a check is not a guarantee of payment. A check is a promise to pay and the deposit or cashing of a check does not constitute collection immediately. Until collected you are on the hook for that item. This is the heart of the scam. Pay in fake, foreign, or stolen funds, get you to send real funds to WU. Has make some crooks millions.
rmdinmd
agree.gif
The scam comes in by overpaying the shipping by $80, they then want you to western union the overpayment back to them. they collect and are gone before you realize you were scammed.

always, always check original acct link never use their link. I have received "postal money orders" before that upon investigation were fake and part of a scam. dry.gif
rhodyguy
as i said…payment is made buy the buyer at their local rep or online. buyer sends me an email and states payment has been made. i call the pick up the point and am informed payment is made and ready for dispersal. i go to safeway, show i.d., and they give me CASH!!! no checking or savings account #s are shared. when i have cash in hand the parts ship. of course, i'm not selling on craigslist and i'm very careful with the process. pp and account #s? no way. i've lost sales due to no pp and i'm fine with that.
euro911
Cash a USPS Money Order at your local post office. If it's fake, you'll know instantly, not two weeks after you deposited it into your bank account (and already shipped the merchandise).
wndsnd
I advertised a boat for $3500

Guy sent me $6000 in WU checks, told me close enough!

I think the WU money orders are easy to counterfit.

John
rhodyguy
if US currency can be counterfeited i imagine a money order is pretty simple. hard to counterfeit a wire transfer. john, did you try to deposit the m.o.s?
wndsnd
No it was the same deal as above, the guy wanted me to send him some of the overpay but to keep some money for my troubles. I was immediatly suspect and I showed them to my neighbor who is a retired detective. He told me they might get deposited in my account but then when they are proved bad the bank would come back to me.

If I remember correctly I told the guy no deal and he sent me more!

I just threw them in the can but I have to say they looked legit, multiple inks etc.

John
Triaddave
thanks for all the great reading. i ship overseas a lot and never had a problem with paypal. the greatest issue is quoting shipping. USPS web site says one thing and when you ship, well i get burned by $20.00 or so. same with FEDEX.
Mike Bellis
Sounds legit?!?!? I'm rich!!! piratenanner.gif

BRITISH HIGH COMMISSION
Metro Plaza, Plot 991/992
Zakari Maimalari Street
Cadastral Zone AO,
Central Business District,
WUse-Abuja.

Dear Friend
I'm so disappointed at the fact that you could give this respectable office a schedule and then end up failing to meet up. Well, some other victims have paid the fee on your behalf along-side with his own atm card too. So the two atm cards were sent to him worth of (US$1.5M), he is a USA based in Chicago Illions USA. I had no choice but to plead with him to pay on your behalf and then receive it for you because if i leave it here, the NFIU will order me to confiscate/Terminated it since you have already exceeded the deadline announced by the NFIU.
Luckily for you, he accepted and paid it on your behalf so it was sent to him via DHL Courier Service over-night Via express delivery together with his own atm card too. He final confirmed that he got the two atm cards today. I told him that you will contact him for your own atm card and as soon as you pay him back the money he have already paid on your behalf to receive the two atm card and by then he should send the ATM Card to your residence address that you will provide to him after you have been pay him his money that he paid for you. You may as well confirm from him that his own ATM Card is working perfectly because we have given him the pin code.
Hence, he will not hesitate to send it back to us if you do not lay claim to it due time factor. And once you claim your atm card from him and start withdrawal your money from the card, do not hesitate to feed me back immediately.
His Contact information is stated to you below to contact him now:
Mr. Edward Armon Inyang, (based in Chicago Illinois USA),
His e-mail:edwardinyang3@yahoo.co.jp
Telephone: +1 630 560 9061
Kindly call him or Email at edwardinyang3@yahoo.co.jp him with your contact residence address and your Full Name/your Telephone Number in other to claim your ATM CARD from him because you are very lucky as this man agree to receive your ATM Card.
Yours in Service,

Mrs. Eva Dewar
CONSULAR,
BRITISH HIGH COMMISSION

euro911
QUOTE(Triaddave @ Dec 30 2013, 01:23 PM) *
thanks for all the great reading. i ship overseas a lot and never had a problem with paypal. the greatest issue is quoting shipping. USPS web site says one thing and when you ship, well i get burned by $20.00 or so. same with FEDEX.
Create an account with FedEx (it's free), then calc your own shipping rates, print the label and you're done. You get better rates if you have an account and ship to a business address. Sometimes your savings aren't that great, but on higher priced quotes, you'll save a bit more. It adds up if you ship a lot. Better than 'average joe' over the counter shipping rates.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.