Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raised spindles and ball joint interference
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I've recently finished the long coming install of my raised Bilstein Struts and 5 Lug Conversion on the front end of my car. All went together with relative ease including the Rebel Racing RSR bushings. The one problem I've run in to is a big one though. The ball joint nut and cotter pin interfere with the inside of the rim.

Our old friend Evan Fullerton (now at HRG) advised me to remove the cotter pin and grind on the ball joint nut and A-Arm until i have some clearance at full droop.

I've got it to the point where I have clearance at all but full lock under full droop. Anybody who's done this before have any further advice? Is there a slimmer ball joint out there?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mrbubblehead
aaron, how much are your spindles raised? and what size wheel is that?
yeahmag
I got them from Evan and he "thinks" they are raised 19mm. The rims are standard 15x7 ATS.
Jetsetsurfshop
popcorn[1].gif
McMark
Remove some of the 'castle' portion of the ball joint nut. Use a pipe-wrench to install/remove.
mrbubblehead
i was under the impression you had to go to a 16 inch wheel with a 19mm raise and 17 inch with a 27mm.
mrbubblehead
but i thought the increase in wheel size was for caliper clearance issues.
yeahmag
That's what I've done. Problem is I've removed about half of it down to the pinch weld on the A-Arm (so I'll be using a chisel to remove the nut when the time comes). The drivers side seems to have a smidge more room than the passenger side, but I should be OK.

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 29 2013, 12:24 PM) *

Remove some of the 'castle' portion of the ball joint nut. Use a pipe-wrench to install/remove.

Woody
Flare it and add some wheel spacers. poke.gif
sixnotfour
1/4 inch spacer
Jeff Hail
All depends on offset, back space, spacers etc.

19mm / 15 inch wheels -Fuchs not Cookies. Barrels are thinner on Fuchs.

30mm / 16 inch wheels

40mm / 17 inch wheels and this takes some other work to clear stuff.
Krieger
I've done this. My spindles are raised 22mm and I'm running 15x7 cookies or Fuchs, but I have a 21mm 944 wheel spacers and longer studs. It looks like you could take more off the castle nut. I also drilled a hole in the castle nut and one in the A-arm to safety wire it to. When you get your wheels balanced make sure they put the weights inside a little. I have marked a line about 3/4" in.
yeahmag
So the grinding I did was insufficient. I just put on some 5mm spacers and will test it soon. Wish me luck!
yeahmag
Spacers seemed to do the trick. And thanks to PMB's videos I was able to rebuild my front M's and stock rear calipers. I also now have a 19mm MC in there. Next up is the used EuroRace style exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm_DnizKOZM
Matt Romanowski
Check it while driving. You will be VERY surprised at how much the wheel will flex.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.