Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Do you like this name?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I've had some very mixed reactions from people who've reviewed my new business name. I originally had MarkD Metal & Stereos, which I never liked and nobody else has ever liked. IPB Image But some people don't like the word Subtle in Subtle Customs. I respect everyone's opinion here. Let me have it straight and unfiltered. IPB Image Thanks.
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 31 2004, 02:02 PM)
Let me have it straight and unfiltered.

don't like it. the "subtle" sounds, hum, downgrading/derogatory?

just me, english is not my first language tho, so i might be getting it wrong ...
IPB Image Andy
Rhodes71/914
I like the idea of Subtle customization but the word doesn't work well in a business name. IMHO
type47fan
It's your decision IPB Image . . .however, a quick browse through Roget's using "subtle" as an adjective, as you have, yields both positive and negative results: when used as with "structures/things constructed/built" one sees synonyms such as "fine, delicate, coarse, homespun." When used as an adjective for a trait like "cunning", you see ingenious, clever, skillful, sharp", etc.

You hope that your potential customers translate your business name as "Ingenious and Clever Customs" rather than "Coarse and Homespun Customs."

Tough call. . .you have to know your potential customers. If you don't get an overwhelming positive response, your chosen name could be too sophisticated for your target group IPB Image .
eeyore
'Subtle' seems a little... off. Not quite sure why.

Going through MS Word I get:
discreet, unfussy, unassuming, unobtrusive, unpretentious.

I prefer 'simple', 'low key' or 'no bling'
TimT
Sorry it just didnt ring my bell.. I cant really explain why either IPB Image

it was my first impression
rhodyguy
sort of depends how you want "subtle" interpreted.

1 a : DELICATE. ELUSIVE b : difficult to understand or distinguish : OBSCURE <-differences in sound> 2 a : PERCEPTIVE, REFINED b: having or marked by keen insight and ability to penetrate deeply and thoroughly 3 a : highly skilled : EXPERT <-workmanship> b : cunningly made or contrived : INGENIOUS 4 : ARTFUL, CRAFTY 5 : operating insidiously <-poison>

subtle enough for ya?

kevin
robert21old
Don't like it - I would never think to search for custom engine/stereo work under the word 'Subtle', it just doesn't describe anything. Sorry.

Robert
Part Pricer
I don't dig it either. You might want to go more along the lines of:

Detailed Customs
Intriguing Customs
Precise Customs

BTW, those are all synonyms for subtle.
seanery
subtle doesn't work either...searching for synonyms(sp?) might be a good idea, but try something with character, or something describing YOU the owner/operator.

I kinda like McCustoms IPB Image
McMark
Hmm, McCustoms. Well that's exactly what I needed to hear. It's hard to decide something like this from only talking to 4 or 5 of your closest friends. It was split down the middle before today. Back to the drawing board. IPB Image
Ray Warren
QUOTE (TimT @ Dec 31 2004, 05:47 PM)
Sorry it just didnt ring my bell.. I cant really explain why either IPB Image

it was my first impression

IPB Image
Ya that was my first thought too.
Ray Warren
How about McMark Customs?
p914
Customs Unlimited
airsix
Mark,
I don't like the word subtle but I DO like the idea behind it. Sounds like you're trying to say "Customs that don't look like hideous drug-induced spawn of people with lots of money and no taste".

I'm just brainstorming words that sound high-end, tasteful, etc.

Discreet
Refined
Fine
Precision
Conservative
Non-mullet

-Ben M.
Qarl
Kick-ass Customs... or if you are

Kick-ass Kustoms.....

McModified Cars

McModified Rides
URY914
Keep trying.
Trekkor
Napa Valley Customs
Complete Automotive Restorations ( c.a.r. )
Precision Restoration Services
Tasty Rides IPB Image

KT
DuckRyder
I think you should name it McBarf customs so that when McDonalds sends you a letter that says they are the sole owner of McBarf, I can post it on the internet. IPB Image

BTW, Subtle doesn't seem to work for me either.
JeffBowlsby
There is little about the business card or your business name that describes what you do...

Custom what...?

Custom bar stools? Custom whistles? Custom...Subtles?

Restoring what...? etc...

Be sure whatever you select describes something about what you offer.
EdwardBlume
Your reputation is more important that your name with P cars but if you are going into the yellow pages, you need words that inspire dialing. You can do a search in another state and copy or modify a good name.

Good luck!

For what its worth (nothing), I like using your name ie Mark D Mac Restoration
lapuwali
How about just "Customs"?

or, using your (excellent) tag line, how about "Customs Redefined"?
seanery
how bout McRides by McMark IPB Image
Jason914
My 2 cents

Custom Autos
-or-
(Last Name) Custom Autos
boxstr
"PIMPYOURRIDEBYMCMARK"
CCLINSUBTLEMODE
Bruce Allert
Subtle Customs sounds good but to look at the word
"S U B T L E" it doesn't sound as it looks... that silent B does a flip flop IPB Image to my eyes. The concept of your thinking for using subtle to give the idea that your designs aren't radical is good.
Maybe spell it different........... S U T - L

Hell, look what came of the name Kal Kustoms! Everybody has heard of that & it's simple.

Also, are you specializing in strictly air cooled? That could be brought into a name...

Good luck IPB Image

....b
Gint
In my search for synonyms, I found "artful". "Artful Customs" I thought it had a ring.
Trekkor
Modern Automotive Restoration ( MAD ) IPB Image
lawrencedesigns
Imagine you are a radio announcer coming up on this one...Subtle Customs. Say it over and over quickly and see if it has "catch" to it. Hard vowells like k, j, p, etc. have a flow...like Cal Custom.
Try to say subtle customs without a lot of sibbilance...that sssssss comes through everywhere..

I respectfully vote no...
Jeroen
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 1 2005, 01:00 AM)
subtle doesn't work either...
I kinda like McCustoms IPB Image

IPB Image
First thing that came to my mind, then I saw Sean already posted it IPB Image
GWN7
I worked for a guy selling his product and I asked him what the company name stood for. He said it stands for nothing. The marketing people he had payed to develope his marketing strategy said a business name should be short and hard sounding so that it is easy for people to remember.

So why not Trekkor's idea, but in big letters C.A.R.s Underneath it in smaller letters "Compleat Automotive Restorations" next line "By McMark" Use the top line of the card like you have done to spell out the services and the bottom lines for contact info and your web site so prospective customers can look at your work.

Doing it that way would grab and hold with the C.A.R.s lettering. Using Compleat Automotive Restorations gives you a name that spells out services and might be able to be registered.

I would also use colored stock paper for the cards instead of black. Yellow is bright and appealing (not to mention faster) or a off white natural looking paper. They stand out in a stack of white cards.

A logo swoosh is also a good idea in a contrasting color....put a 914 outline in the background... adds to the card and makes it appealing.

$0.02 worth

IPB Image
markb
Playing off of your name, and the Mc That you like, how about MkCustoms? This way when McD's get's pissy, you can say it stands for Mark.
McMark
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 31 2004, 06:28 PM)
Modern Automotive Restoration ( MAD ) IPB Image

Mark Alan De Bernardi (MAD) IPB Image

I'm not only doing aircooled, and I'm not only doing 914s, so I can't use anything that ties too directly into that. I'm also not going to use Mc anything. It takes too much explanation. I don't want my name in it. I'm picky about everything. Ask Trekkor. IPB Image

Been brainstorming...

I thought about using RestoMod, but I'm not sure people understand it very well.

Trying to pick out a name is like trying to write poetry (the real kind). You're trying to find 1 or 2 words that will portray everything. IPB Image
spare time toys
Go with a name you like dont wory about what others think. I got my salvage rebuilders lic. about 4 years ago and came up with Spare Time Toys for the name because thats what these cars are. My wife said I can have cars to play with and work on as long as it doesnt take away house money. So it is done in my spare time.
jwalters
IPB Image Here is a good one you ought to consider,,ahem...: " Jooced Kustoms "---ehhh??? IPB Image
Steve Thacker
IPB Image Its catchy you have to admit.
JeffBowlsby
Many customers have more confidence in a small business and prefer to see the owners name associated with the company, it shows your level of committment and accountability when you put your own name out there....especially for a small operation. They know a fictitious name can be changed in an instant but your reputation as an individual does not change... IPB Image
rick 918-S
Mark Werks
Kraft Werks
Deutch Werks
Euro Werks
Kustom Metal Kraft by McMark KMK
Kargeek
Nothing wrong with a tag ling...

C.A.R.S by McMark...we do the "no bling" thing.

Restroration and Custom frabrication without the bling!
r_towle
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 31 2004, 03:15 PM)
Hmm, McCustoms. Well that's exactly what I needed to hear. It's hard to decide something like this from only talking to 4 or 5 of your closest friends. It was split down the middle before today. Back to the drawing board. IPB Image

I bet Mccy D's would come down on that one pretty fast..

Dont like Subtle in the name, possibly in the sub text under the name...

R
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.