Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to me 2.2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_8
My Dad just picked up a 2.2 out of a 1970 911T. The motor has been sitting with no plugs for about 5 plus years. We have gotten rid of about 20lbs of grease and gunk off the block and have pulled the carbs, exhaust, all shrouding, oil cooler, valve covers, etc…. The oil that was in the motor looked good, just dirty. and looking down the oil tubes into the crank case it looks clean and rust free. Also pulled the timing chain covers and everything looks good. Problem is, since it sat with no plugs the motor is stuck. Aside from filling the chambers with penetrating oil(what we are doing) is there any recommended trick for un sticking a motor? Thanks in advance…

RC
McMark
Stuck motor means corrosion has grown, locking the pistons into place. You can make it move again (potentially), but it won't be worth running. Once the corrosion has been scraped from the cylinder wall, you're left with scoring, pitting, and gouged rings. All that will add up to a really short life.

It's a bummer, but there really isn't any way around it. I have a BMW 2002 motor build going on and it had corrosion in the cylinder from a blown head gasket. Only solution is to bore it out to a larger size.
914_8
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 29 2013, 08:52 PM) *

Stuck motor means corrosion has grown, locking the pistons into place. You can make it move again (potentially), but it won't be worth running. Once the corrosion has been scraped from the cylinder wall, you're left with scoring, pitting, and gouged rings. All that will add up to a really short life.

It's a bummer, but there really isn't any way around it. I have a BMW 2002 motor build going on and it had corrosion in the cylinder from a blown head gasket. Only solution is to bore it out to a larger size.

Yeah I am aware of what's in store. Just want to free it up before I tear into it further. The motor will end up with new pistons and jugs, and a good going through in the top end.
euro911
2.4 biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
marvel mystery oil rather than penetrating fluid?
Jake Raby
Yep.. Marvel mixed with Dexron/ Mercon ATF will have the best chance of busting it loose…Pickle the engine in it for a couple months.
rhodyguy
50/50?
914_8
Thanks guys….. Has anybody had any luck also filling the crank case to work at it from both sides? I figure its worth a shot.
r_towle
Like jake said, get on of those very large storage boxes at Home Depot, put the motor in there and submerse it in yr choice of tranny/ marvel mystery oil/kersosene.

When you take it out, you will need to strap it down and use a long bar to get it moving again.

Remove the heads, no need for those.
If you are looking to just salvage the case, knowing you will buy new pistons and cylinders, you might be able to cut and remove each cylinder....
rgalla9146
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 31 2013, 12:19 AM) *

Like jake said, get on of those very large storage boxes at Home Depot, put the motor in there and submerse it in yr choice of tranny/ marvel mystery oil/kersosene.

When you take it out, you will need to strap it down and use a long bar to get it moving again.

Remove the heads, no need for those.
If you are looking to just salvage the case, knowing you will buy new pistons and cylinders, you might be able to cut and remove each cylinder....

Any chance the plugs were out because it was already stuck ?
I guess you don't know that. Oh well.
Remove the cam carriers.
Pray that the valves all close.
Blow out as much foreign material from each cyl. as possible
Fill up each cylinder with Marvel Mystery oil.
If all the pistons are stuck you've got a real Chinese handcuff going on.
Try moving the crank by levering the flywheel at a bellhousing stud.
Any movement at all is good.
Nothing ? Now it gets ugly. But first remove the heads.
Any barrel that comes off easily improves your chances.
Get out the Sawsall. Or cut off tool.
Cut towards the crankcase through barrels and pistons.
Top and bottom. And anywhere else you like. No hammers please.
You don't want to damage the case spigots.
It's not fun.
Good luck.
914_8
Lol all valves are either closed or pretty well closed except on one cylinder…. and there is no movement at all. i was one one side with a flywheel wrench and my Dad on the other with a breaker bar……… I will get after the soaking method for a while as I am in no real rush to get this motor in a car. I really don't want to cut anything if I don't need to, But sometimes extreme measures need to be taken.. Thanks everyone for the help

RC
rhodyguy
pour the mystery mix down the spark plug holes?
r_towle
pull the heads, and everything else that can come off.
Soak JUST the case and pistons/cylinders.

Remove all the plugs that you can from the case.

You are dealing with just the rings that are rusted to the cylinders, typically nothing else.
They can hold really well.

You want the oil to get in from the top and bottom to get them to let go.

Use the mix stated above for a while...if that does not work, there are other chemicals you can try, but you need to be attentive to the harsh chemicals because they eat aluminum fairly quickly.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.