Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Sidemarkers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
IPB Image
LED Sidemarker Lighting without Flange Mount Works Great on Trailers, Box Vans, Rig's and more. LED lights provide quick response brighter color. And longer life then standard bulbs.
Diameter: 2"
[Add to Cart] [View Cart]

Color's & Part #'s
Amber PLT1368A
Red PLT1368R

I found this page via a link from Demmick's page. Could these work?
Lawrence
Charlie Davis made up a set of these. I've never seen them in person.

Charlie's Side Light

-Rusty
Elliot_Cannon
Are the side lights absolutely necessary? Are they required legally? I'd like to remove mine but not sure about requirements. It's a 73
Cheers, Elliot confused24.gif
seanery
I think they were necessary when sold.
I've seen folks remove them, though.

If they weren't so thick and chunky, I wouldn't mind them so much.
Lawrence
I think a thinner light might be nice. But think about it this way...

If you drive your car at night, you're already low to the ground. All the blind soccer mom SUB (Sports Utility Behemoth) drivers are already oblivious to what's around them, while they drink their lattes and chat on the cellphone with the other coffee-clatch mom's about what happened on their soap-operas, feeling totally invincible because of all the metal around them. finger.gif

Blind drivers abound - and you want to be as visible as you can be.

But it's your car - do what you like.

-Rusty
Elliot_Cannon
That's great advice Rusty thanks. Maybe I'll keep the lights where they are.
So what's a PADI Dive Master doing in Kansas?
Cheers, Elliot
Aaron Cox
I think tonyakavw did something a lot like this smile.gif
Lawrence
So what's a PADI Dive Master doing in Kansas?

Suffering. sad.gif

Actually, the job brought me here. Kansas is kind of like Purgatory. Hopefully, I'll get some dives in this summer.

-Rusty
TonyAKAVW
Actually I did my rear turn signals and front turn signals with LEDs. I'll post some pics in a bit. The PO of my car shaved off the side turn signals...

-Tony
Aaron Cox
hey long time no post wink.gif please post pics...that would be great driving.gif
TonyAKAVW
Yeah, true, long time no post. I've been lurking a lot though.

So the basic idea of my LED turn signals is a lot like what is shown above. Basically you take a "breadboard" (fiberglass board that has thousands of tiny holes drilled in it) and populate it with LEDs of your favorite color (there are at least a dozen colors now of LEDs). Since the arrays I built up draw significantly less curent than the stock bulbs, the flasher circuit doesn't work any longer. This may or may not be a concern with the side markers, as the bulbs are probably a lot smaller. So I built a small flasher circuit that sits mounted under my dash and there's a small knob that I can turn to adjust the flash rate. I usually leave it at a normal flash rate, but its sometimes fun to show off the strobe light effect (LEDs turn on and off a LOT faster than light bulbs).

I don't have any pics, but I do have a short video showing the LED arrays before I mounted them in the car. The amber block of LEDs is on an oversized breadboard and was cut to the nearly-ellipse shape that is erquired for the front.

For the rears, I needed fewer LEDs as red LEDs tend to be brighter than amber ones (or atleast that was the case for me). I'm anxious to try these new LEDs from Lumileds which are incredibly bright. So after I get my car put back together I might just play around with that. The main thing I want to do is have a very bright white LED for the european lenses I have on the front. This way the amber LEDs work for the flasher and the white wouldbe a really nice looking running 'bulb.'

The video is here: http://www.wavelen.com/allong/upload/uploa...ad/MOV03738.MPG
It's about 1.3 megs.

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
As long as I'm showing off, here's another picture of something I did to my car. I know its not at all related, but as long as we are putting III-V compound semiconductors in an early 70's car, why not upgrade the sound system as well? smile.gif
TonyAKAVW
Elliot_Cannon
I'm guessing thats a speaker on the center console. What happens if you spill a beer I mean a coke on it? Can you store loose change on it? LOL Nice installation.
Cheers, Elliot
TonyAKAVW
Well, actually the center console in that section got removed and I built a box that fits very snugly between the seats and put that black vinyl material over it. I had to sew the seams by hand which wasn't too bad actually. The speaker itself is actually pretty sturdy. I was worried that it would get destroyed, but you can give it a pretty decent hit and its fine. A grille might help keep screwdrivers from going through though smile.gif

You can store loose change on the speaker if you want, but the second you crank the music up it would fly around.

-Tony
Aaron Cox
neat idea! i like the black tape on the bolsters of the seats biggrin.gif MDB2.gif
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ May 27 2003, 08:15 PM)

So Tony,
the Black 'object' in the picture, between the seats, is THE box for the sub?

Did you consider mounting the sub in the section that IS vertical,
whereas the sub would then be facing the dash?

Very slick install, job well done. aktion035.gif

Haven't watched the video for the LEDs yet, I really hate dial-up. barf.gif
TonyAKAVW
Yes, the thing in the middle is the box that I made for the sub. I considered putting it in the vertical part of the center console, but in order to make it work well, I'd have to make that into a box. It seemed at the time to be a lot more work to do that, so I just made a box for the spot between the seats.

-Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.