Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mount for Tomtom V2 GPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
I made a prototype of a mount for a Tomtom V2 GPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-1gilNCyA

There are a few details that still need to be fixed, but I am very happy with the design and the dash integration. This is 3D printed and can be painted in black.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
johannes
IPB Image

IPB Image
Andyrew
Thats a great mount!

It would be awesome as simply a cell phone holder as well!
Harpo
Very nice. Did you make this with a 3D printer?

Harpo
johannes
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 30 2013, 09:14 AM) *

Thats a great mount!

It would be awesome as simply a cell phone holder as well!

I am designing one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1POeJI5950
johannes
QUOTE(Harpo @ Dec 30 2013, 09:38 AM) *

Very nice. Did you make this with a 3D printer?

Harpo

It's made on a 3d printer. Not mine ...
ConeDodger
Nice work! I wouldn't go too far into making more and marketing them though. I've owned 6 GPS units three of which were TomTom's. None of the TomTom units lasted a year and they don't answer the phone or respond to emails.

Thank goodness the company paid for them...
boxsterfan
Can you make one to mount a cell phone (DROID RAZR M) that also includes USB power?

Very sweet setup you have there.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 30 2013, 10:30 AM) *

Nice work! I wouldn't go too far into making more and marketing them though. I've owned 6 GPS units three of which were TomTom's. None of the TomTom units lasted a year and they don't answer the phone or respond to emails.

Thank goodness the company paid for them...

And their web site sucks. dry.gif
Elliot Cannon
Excellent job Johannes. It looks like it can be adapted for other GPS's and phones as well. Has anyone 3D printed a 914 model?
johannes
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 30 2013, 11:16 AM) *

Can you make one to mount a cell phone (DROID RAZR M) that also includes USB power?

Very sweet setup you have there.

No,

I will make an universal mount that doesn't include any power.
Gustl
great item, Johannes smilie_pokal.gif

I will take a closer look at Bormio w00t.gif
bandjoey
You might consider that many phones are in cases. I like this idea but need a wide top and bottom mount to fit the phone and case. My iphone and case measure 14mm thick. Also, On hard accelleration has your mount slipped out some? Can you add a catch like the ashtray to keep it in place?

Keep us posted. I'll take one if it fits the phone when ready. Good idea!
johannes
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 30 2013, 04:25 PM) *

You might consider that many phones are in cases. I like this idea but need a wide top and bottom mount to fit the phone and case. My iphone and case measure 14mm thick. Also, On hard accelleration has your mount slipped out some? Can you add a catch like the ashtray to keep it in place?

Keep us posted. I'll take one if it fits the phone when ready. Good idea!

The mont is 10mm and was designed to fit smartphones without case. It can accept from the small i-phone (7,6mm) to the large Galaxy (9,4mm). If there is a demand, I can design a second mount with larger grips.
I haven't had any trouble with the mount slipping out on acceleration. The fit is tight and the weight of the GPS is not enough.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.