Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: question about clutch and flywheel replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
need to change out flywheel and starter,will probably do clutch and whatever else i need to do while im in there.im getting clutch relacement manual for autoatlanta,have read pelican tech article and wonder is this very hard without lift and only useing jackstands and jacks?im going to take my time and have the tools.
GeorgeRud
You do have the choice to do the replacement with the engine in or out. Due to the age of these vehicles, I'd recommend taking the engine and transmission out as a unit, and take the time to clean things up, refresh ground connections, and renew any leaking seals at the same time.
McMark
agree.gif Pulling the whole drivetrain is a good opportunity for maintenance if it hasn't been done in awhile. Don't forget to reset the endplay on the crank.
rosenfe
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 30 2013, 09:31 AM) *

agree.gif Pulling the whole drivetrain is a good opportunity for maintenance if it hasn't been done in awhile. Don't forget to reset the endplay on the crank.

so ive read wayne dempsy article about removing engine,looks fairly strightfoward,but do i need to lift engine back in off of furniture dolly or does car body lower enough?.if it need a bit of lifitng how do you do that with engine and trans on dolly.there is a youtube video where the guy has engine on dolly and is able to just lower car to bolt engine in.any help would be appreciated.
JawjaPorsche
I don't know what your finances, tools, and skills are but I just bit the bullet and had my trusty mechanic do it.

I am in my 60's and climbing under a car and dropping a engine just didn't appeal to me. I did not want to get hurt plus my mechanic found some other stuff that needed to done like sealing engine, new shifter bushings, and stuff. He had more tools that I did not have.

If I had a lift, it looks like it would not be hard. I don't know about a dropping the car on the engine without a lift. Most people who do not have a lift, jack up the car real high and drop the engine with a floor jack.

Good luck. beerchug.gif

Here is video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0LpBT5H47k

Start at watching at 14 minute mark
rosenfe
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 30 2013, 04:56 PM) *

I don't know what your finances, tools, and skills are but I just bit the bullet and had my trusty mechanic do it.

I am in my 60's and climbing under a car and dropping a engine just didn't appeal to me. I did not want to get hurt plus my mechanic found some other stuff that needed to done like sealing engine, new shifter bushings, and stuff. He had more tools that I did not have.

If I had a lift, it looks like it would not be hard. I don't know about a dropping the car on the engine without a lift. Most people who do not have a lift, jack up the car real high and drop the engine with a floor jack.

Good luck. beerchug.gif

Here is video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0LpBT5H47k

i hear what your saying.it definitely is easier to pay someone and get it done with.

Start at watching at 14 minute mark

r_towle
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Dec 30 2013, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 30 2013, 09:31 AM) *

so ive read wayne dempsy article about removing engine,looks fairly strightfoward,but do i need to lift engine back in off of furniture dolly or does car body lower enough?.if it need a bit of lifitng how do you do that with engine and trans on dolly.there is a youtube video where the guy has engine on dolly and is able to just lower car to bolt engine in.any help would be appreciated.

You will never drive the car again....

My advise, for what little it really is worth...

Pull the muffler off
Pull the transmission out
Do the clutch
Put it all back in.

Do this all in under four hours, stick to that plan, and drive the car at the end of the day.
NO MATTER WHAT, never say "while I am here"
euro911
Check to see if the flywheel needs resurfaced*. Hopefully it has enough meat left on it.

Click to view attachment

Inspect/replace the rear main seal* (Victor Reinz, not Elring), check/adjust end play, possibly a new pilot bearing pressed into the flywheel*, new felt pad*, new new o-ring, and a new lock plate.

Inspect/replace the pilot shaft (input shaft) seal and both output shaft seals on the tranny*

Inspect/replace your release bearing* and side clips* as well.

Do your valve adjustment while the engine is out.

Inspect/replace engine bay seals* (914rubber.com).

* as needed
rhodyguy
when you do this there are a couple things i vaguely remember. there is a little bearing(?) that helps support the trans input shaft, and a felt washer(?) that live in the crankshaft. the bearing install depth is important. i remember this from when brad was around. anyone else have the lowdown on this? Capn'?
euro911
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 31 2013, 07:23 AM) *
when you do this there are a couple things i vaguely remember. there is a little bearing(?) that helps support the trans input shaft, and a felt washer(?) that live in the crankshaft. the bearing install depth is important. i remember this from when brad was around. anyone else have the lowdown on this? Capn'?
In my post above. The bearing is pressed into the flywheel. It's probably mentioned in the Pelican tech article?
ripper911
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 31 2013, 12:33 AM) *

Pull the muffler off
Do the clutch
Put it all back in.

Do this all in under four hours, stick to that plan, and drive the car at the end of the day.

agree.gif It's a fairly easy job, just do it and keep driving.
rosenfe
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Dec 31 2013, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 31 2013, 12:33 AM) *

Pull the muffler off
Do the clutch
Put it all back in.

agree.gif It's a fairly easy job, just do it and keep driving.

it seems that taking engine and trans out will be easier than working under car trying to get bolts off and getting everything torqued.looks like motorcycle jack at harbor freight is ideal to lower and raise engine back in.i get dizzy if im on my back having to look up for too long.also i can get to finish hooking up flapper boxes etc.
r_towle
Well, you might as well get four jack stands for the long haul.
JamesM
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Dec 30 2013, 10:08 AM) *

need to change out flywheel and starter,will probably do clutch and whatever else i need to do while im in there.im getting clutch relacement manual for autoatlanta,have read pelican tech article and wonder is this very hard without lift and only useing jackstands and jacks?im going to take my time and have the tools.

Either way can be done rather easily with just jack stands and jacks (easier then you would think if you have never done it before)

If you are obsessive like me though and you pull the engine you will spend two weeks pulling every bit off the engine, replacing all the seals, making the wiring harness perfect, stripping and painting the tin, etc, etc. its just to hard not to make it nice once the engine is out of the car.

if you are just doing the clutch, just pulling the tranny is fine, if you are pulling the flywheel as well though it might be easier to pull the engine, but can still be done either way.

Ill give you an easy way to make the decision: How many jacks do you have?
1 jack- just pull the tranny
3 or more, pull the whole thing

The reason I say this, working alone with one jack, supporting the engine on a jack stand, and then removing the tranny on the jack is pretty easy to manage. Pulling the entire drivetrain with a single jack can be tedious and difficult to manage any way you approach it, and re-installing is more so.
Working alone with 3 jacks though, pulling the entire drivetrain winds up bring easier then just pulling the tranny.

ww914
As you can see, I used a motorcycle lift and a floor jack to balance. Since I did this I have learned to balance the engine/trans using a block of wood with a hole in it for the oil sump. I also remember that I had to jack the rear of the car a little to clear stuff under the car. Good luck. You will be glad you took it all out with reasons some have already alluded to.

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Funny I remember when I would just lay on my back and bench press the trans in and out! But those days are gone because I am smarter not weaker shades.gif

But still it is a job than can be done quite easily. Can't really add to the jack information but the one thing I do is use the zipper lock bags to cover the CV joints and trans flanges so you don't get grease on everything. Have to use the zipper ones or they fall off.
rosenfe
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jan 1 2014, 08:06 AM) *

Funny I remember when I would just lay on my back and bench press the trans in and out! But those days are gone because I am smarter not weaker shades.gif

But still it is a job than can be done quite easily. Can't really add to the jack information but the one thing I do is use the zipper lock bags to cover the CV joints and trans flanges so you don't get grease on everything. Have to use the zipper ones or they fall off.

thanks ww914,your picture describes what i plan to do useing motorcycle jack,block is a good idea.i have jack stands and 2 jacks as well.
rosenfe
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jan 1 2014, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jan 1 2014, 08:06 AM) *

thanks ww914,your picture describes what i plan to do useing motorcycle jack,block is a good idea.i have jack stands and 2 jacks as well.

i also realize i can pay to have it done,but i like to work on cars and the 914 gives a lot of opportunities to do that.i like older cars and the simplicity of their mechanics.my daily driver is a 1980 mercedes 300sd with 138k,everything works including a/c.i also have a 03 boxster s with 47k,but the 914 has a lot of appeal ,and i like the process of restoring it.
kkid
Hey rosenfe,

Where in Norcal are you in?

It's always easier with a few more pair of eyes and hands.

kkid smile.gif
rosenfe
QUOTE(kkid @ Jan 1 2014, 09:27 AM) *

Hey rosenfe,

Where in Norcal are you in?

It's always easier with a few more pair of eyes and hands.

kkid smile.gif

fairfax,marin county
kkid
JFYI, Harbor Freight is having a new year sale today. Go to their web. They have a printable 25% off coupon. Can get a good deal for a motorcycle jack.
euro911
QUOTE(kkid @ Jan 1 2014, 10:57 AM) *
JFYI, Harbor Freight is having a new year sale today. Go to their web. They have a printable 25% off coupon. Can get a good deal for a motorcycle jack.
... or a parts washer, or an engine stand, or a cherry picker, or ... idea.gif

Just my opinion, but since it's not your DD, take the extra time and perform all the needed maintenance.
rosenfe
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 1 2014, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(kkid @ Jan 1 2014, 10:57 AM) *
... or a parts washer, or an engine stand, or a cherry picker, or ... idea.gif

Just my opinion, but since it's not your DD, take the extra time and perform all the needed maintenance.

THANKS FOR THE TIP,STOPPED AT HF AND GOT 25% OFFF OF motorcycle jack.big sale there jan 10-12
kkid
Good to hear you got your tool. Which store did you go to?

I will probably take the tranny out this afternoon too or maybe the entire drive train.

Good luck on your project!

kkid smile.gif
rosenfe
QUOTE(kkid @ Jan 1 2014, 01:03 PM) *

Good to hear you got your tool. Which store did you go to?

I will probably take the tranny out this afternoon too or maybe the entire drive train.

Good luck on your project!

kkid smile.gif

there is a harbor freight in san rafael,fairly close to my home,im lucky.ill keep you posted,waiting for good used flywheel to arrive .my flywheel has broken or very worn down teeth,making starting a nosiy affair
lonewolfe
It's good to see a couple of more Bay Area Teeners posting on here. Hey kkid, I'm in Oakland too! Thanks for posting the sale info for Harbor Freight! I've been wanting one of these aluminum motorcycle jacks for the last year. I printed the coupon and will be heading out to the store in Pleasant Hill this afternoon to pick one up. 25% off makes it pretty appealing!

Happy new year!!!!
kkid
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jan 1 2014, 02:16 PM) *

It's good to see a couple of more Bay Area Teeners posting on here. Hey kkid, I'm in Oakland too! Thanks for posting the sale info for Harbor Freight! I've been wanting one of these aluminum motorcycle jacks for the last year. I printed the coupon and will be heading out to the store in Pleasant Hill this afternoon to pick one up. 25% off makes it pretty appealing!

Happy new year!!!!

Hey lonewolf,

You're not alone. There're some teeners in Oakland too.

We gotta meet up and help each other to keep our machines alive.

Happy New Year!!!

kkid smile.gif
rosenfe
QUOTE(kkid @ Jan 1 2014, 02:39 PM) *

Happy new year!!!!

Hey lonewolf,

Happy New Year!!!

kkid smile.gif

oakland is not to far from me in marin.harbor freight has coupon in store for automatic 25%off on one item.

does anyone know size of bolt to flywheel and pressure plate bolt size?

euro911
Do you have a set of metric sockets and metric wrenches? 10~19mm is a good start for most of the work you be doing.

Having two of each size wrench comes in handy too ... esp. 13mm.
lonewolfe

Happy new year!!!!

Hey lonewolf,

Happy New Year!!!

kkid smile.gif

Happy new year to you too! I plan on it being a good year! We should plan a work on 914's party sometime. Where in Oakland are you? I'm in East not far from Mills College.
kkid
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jan 1 2014, 05:09 PM) *

Happy new year!!!!

Hey lonewolf,

Happy New Year!!!

kkid smile.gif

Happy new year to you too! I plan on it being a good year! We should plan a work on 914's party sometime. Where in Oakland are you? I'm in East not far from Mills College.

I live somewhere close to Redwood Heights School not far from Mills College.

Hey, a party is always welcome. beerchug.gif

Cheers!

kkid smile.gif
rosenfe
QUOTE(kkid @ Jan 1 2014, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jan 1 2014, 05:09 PM) *

Happy new year!!!!

Hey lonewolf,

We gotta meet up and help each other to keep our machines alive

Happy New Year!!!

kkid smile.gif

I live somewhere close to Redwood Heights School not far from Mills College.

Hey, a party is always welcome. beerchug.gif

Cheers!

kkid smile.gif

following up with my flywheel clutch replacement.finally got it all done today.clutch works,no more stripped flywheel teeth grinding against starter.i learned a lot and feel good that i was able to finsih the job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.